Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 12:27 PM

26 posts, read 16,559 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the nice, well informed answers. I have only 1 car so as long as there is a driveway, I will be good to go. I am not looking to renovate anything to be perfectly honest lol, turn key is my preference. The fact I am looking for a move in ready house, will probably present challenges to me I'm sure. And I agree about not dealing with landlord. Although I own a co-op, the rules and nonsense that go on drive me nuts and I'm ready to go!!!

Is there area of Pelham Gardens similar to Morris Park at all?? I see they are the same precinct and border each other. But I am also aware how quickly neighborhoods change block to block. Thanks for all the responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 12:28 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
If you can buy in Morris Park do it NOW. They will be erecting a new Metro North Station at the Intersection of Morris Park Ave. and Eastchester Rd. within the next few years. Property will skyrocket.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can anybody chime in on how is it getting around in the winter? Are the streets plowed well?
Streets are plowed well. My buddy lives in Morris Park and have never seen an issue with plowing in Winter.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:32 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechamp00 View Post
Thank you for all the nice, well informed answers. I have only 1 car so as long as there is a driveway, I will be good to go. I am not looking to renovate anything to be perfectly honest lol, turn key is my preference. The fact I am looking for a move in ready house, will probably present challenges to me I'm sure. And I agree about not dealing with landlord. Although I own a co-op, the rules and nonsense that go on drive me nuts and I'm ready to go!!!

Is there area of Pelham Gardens similar to Morris Park at all?? I see they are the same precinct and border each other. But I am also aware how quickly neighborhoods change block to block. Thanks for all the responses
Pelham Gardens is also very nice and even more quieter. I like the housing stock a lot. You would have access to the same express bus as you do in Morris Park. It is almost all residential depending on where you are. If you don't care about walkability, I'd check there too. It isn't that big, and not too far from the main strips, but as I said, it is almost all residential. $750k gets you a lot in most of the Bronx. Coming from Riverdale, you will be surprised. lol

Someone asked about snow. My former colleague never had any issues with snow. Morris Park has hills, but nothing like Riverdale, so elevation is not really that much of a problem to where you will see more snow, etc.

I have been to his house for BBQs and gatherings numerous times when he lived there. Some of us drove. Some of us took the express bus from Manhattan and he picked us up (wasn't that far of a walk, but we weren't familiar with the area the first time). It really opened my eyes to the Bronx. Tree lined street, birds chirping in the summer. The Bronx has plenty of nice, safe stable neighborhoods. For the idiots on this board that are always putting the place down, good. It will remain more affordable.

Since the first time, I have been there numerous times, and have walked around a lot. It's a great neighborhood, and as I said, having the Albert Einstein campus there, you will see lots of medical students and doctors. Some drive in or live there or commute with the BxM10 express bus to and from. The area will never decline too much because Montefiore generally does not operate in run down areas in case you haven't noticed. I'm sure you know how they operate in Riverdale and other areas of the Bronx.

Old 04-04-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:

Pelham Gardens is still very nice quiet and Safe South of Allerton Ave. and East of Laconia Ave. for the most part.

Red Area is where I am Talking about

For very High End Homes (Many in the Millions)look in the Blue Area

Old 04-04-2020, 12:43 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Pelham Gardens is still very nice quiet and Safe South of Allerton Ave. and East of Laconia Ave. for the most part.

Red Area is where I am Talking about

For very High End Homes (Many in the Millions)look in the Blue Area
Yes, Pelham Gardens definitely has some gems that go for a pretty penny.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:05 PM

26 posts, read 16,559 times
Yeah I've been looking at Pelham Gardens and have really been impressed with the housing stock. WerdyWord, thanks for the outline on the map, that will help a lot. The houses look great and the neighborhood (google) looks beautiful. Where I live in Riverdale, it is very quiet and near absolutely nothing, as far as commercial goes. I noticed on Eastchester Rd they offer a bunch of quick stop stores/deli's which is perfect for me.

Does anyone know what it is like living in a multifamily house? Can you hear the other people in their homes? Or is it relatively quiet? I am trying to avoid apartment life lol, so if its anything similar I can avoid them at all costs. Thanks

Old 04-04-2020, 02:08 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:

One thing about the driveways. Many of the homes in Morris Park (and all over the city) have driveways but they are too narrow for any vehicle except maybe one of those tiny Fiats. So either test the driveway with your own car or measure it at it's narrowest, not at the curb cut. The current NYC minimum for new residential driveways is 9-feet wide. Use that as your guide.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:14 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
I don't know about housing prices but I love the area. Lots of nice old school Italian bakeries, pizzerias, and pork stores. Very safe and well-maintained (not to brag, but Italian neighborhoods usually are).

Old 04-04-2020, 02:23 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I don't know about housing prices but I love the area. Lots of nice old school Italian bakeries, pizzerias, and pork stores. Very safe and well-maintained (not to brag, but Italian neighborhoods usually are).

Italian neighborhoods are still among the safest and well-kept in the entire city! Our homes command top dollar because of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Morris Park Home Purchase-italamer2.gif  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City