Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 04:20 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
how will landlords pay the mortage and taxes?
And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I work for a large high rise. Tons of expenes : Payroll & benefits (38 employees for office, leasing, maintenance, janitors, security, etc.), utilities (water, sewer, gas, electric), contracts (elevator, other mechancial PM, trash, pest control), supplies, repairs, resident events (we do bingo, pool parties) capital improvements (we still plan new elevators and fitness center upgrades - for now). This does not not cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 05:20 PM

20 posts, read 9,712 times
I can see it happening here. Otherwise, crime's going to explode, no matter which part of the city it is.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:15 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
A good lesson is not to follow the directives of any city with an 18% home ownership rate as is the case with Berlin.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:23 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's no point in doing that. The correct thing to do would be to freeze property taxes. Whats the point in telling the poor working man you don't have to see me for 6 months.

I remember when I moved out of my rental apt and bought my co-op apt my LL was heartbroken, he actually called me to ask me why I was moving.
Ok, this is a rent "freeze" something NYC did for first two years of BdeB as mayor. Since then rent increases have been far below normal and certainly market rates/ what LL's costs would entitle them to otherwise. Increases range from 1% to near 2.5% since the two years of zero (0%).

What many need now is some sort of waiver or reduced rent for April, and maybe May and June at least.

So far Fredo's big brother (governor Andrew Cuomo) has said "no"; but some LL's are taking matters into their own hands.

https://gothamist.com/news/williamsb...ggling-tenants

Action taken in Berlin (which may still be overturned by courts), is similar to what has happened in California, Seattle and some other places. Imposition of rent control and or other actions that freeze or restrict rent hikes either permanently or for certain period. This to allow time for some sort of solution to be worked out on an ongoing issue; people are just too busted to afford local rents that keep climbing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/11/b...t-control.html

https://la.curbed.com/2019/9/24/2086...-bill-governor

Old 04-05-2020, 05:13 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Berlin Freezes Rents for 5 Years in a Bid to Slow Gentrification

BERLIN -- Berlin is freezing the rents of 1.5 million apartments for the next five years starting this Sunday in a controversial move to control the exploding costs that have forced many to move outside Germany's capital city.

https://abcnews.go.com/International...homes-69158081
Lol, don't think we have to worry about that in NYC for quite a while. The whole "gentrification" issue will be on hold for quite a few years as vacancies will be climbing and rents will be dropping on their own.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Most people's rent is already frozen.

With the new rent stabilization rules that started last year, rent for stabilized apartments can no longer go up to the "legal" rent, but rather only last years actual rent plus whatever % the rent board increases rent by, which you know will be ZERO this year and likely next.

That in addition to the many people who will likely leave the city after we get back to normal. Rent may actually go DOWN!
Looking forward to that. Figure the only reasonable purchase for me at this point is ML and that hasn't been panning out too great. I even applied for one in Far Rockaway I thought of 7th when I did that haha.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:28 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
freeze the property taxes then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City