Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 PM

588 posts, read 947,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't even have a college education, but I also don't have a job where if I screw something up it leaves unarmed civilians dead or paralyzed. Those in the profession of my friends and family are the ones who couldn't cut it anywhere else in life. My experience with officers I've personally crossed paths with is like what most others experience - frustration! Frustrating that natural selection not only allowed these people to be born but also frustrating that I pay their salary. I guess the joke is on all of us poor suckers who didn't realize all it takes to get by is an associates degree and a passion for donuts.

I'm not religious at all, but if there is a god I'm sure he's got a special place in hell for every crooked, lying, sh** eating cop that ever lived.
Thats bs. As if all other professions don't have bad apples. Also, how dare fat al threaten to shut down the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
Thats bs. As if all other professions don't have bad apples.
Of course, but when people in other professions (of similar educational requirements) screw up at work it only means that faxes don't get sent or somebody's coffee isn't sweet enough.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
And folks wonder why cops retire immediately after thier 20 years. This is the type of support the members of the department receive from the community? I'm glad I got out of the city ASAP.

I remember after the Abner Louima incident working the street and being called all sorts of things. I was as appalled as anyone else when that occurred and was in complete disbelief. But because I was in uniform I was now considered a bad guy. Being colored with a very wide brush, indeed. Hmm, sounds like a familiar argument with certain members of the community?

Anyway, what happened on 149 St & Liverpool (not really a residential block BTW) was a tragedy. It may have been reckless but not criminally reckless.... therefore the acquittal. And if you've never been in a shootout you have no idea what you are talking about. It is very easy to Monday morning quarterback. These cops mistakenly thought they were in a shootout but they did not realize that it was each other's gunfire causing each other to fire.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't even have a college education, but I also don't have a job where if I screw something up it leaves unarmed civilians dead or paralyzed. Those in the profession of my friends and family are the ones who couldn't cut it anywhere else in life. My experience with officers I've personally crossed paths with is like what most others experience - frustration! Frustrating that natural selection not only allowed these people to be born but also frustrating that I pay their salary. I guess the joke is on all of us poor suckers who didn't realize all it takes to get by is an associates degree and a passion for donuts.

I'm not religious at all, but if there is a god I'm sure he's got a special place in hell for every crooked, lying, sh** eating cop that ever lived.
As I suspected, you have an issue with cops. Apparently you've been on the wrong side of the law before. This is exactly why the cops chose to waive a jury trial.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:37 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
You say I need counseling I say you need a reality check. When you can explain "gun battle" that existed in this case I will respond to you again. One more thing and I promise not to respond to your ignorance again. A gun battle between two thugs on the street should be an "adrenaline-pumping, mind numbing, totally frightening experience". A trained "professional" officer should be much more poised in this situation.
Again, your ignorance of reality. Your impression of what cops should be able to do and what actually occurs during a shooting incident are based on all the television you apparently watch. If you've never been in the situation, you're not qualified to make that statement. Check out that counseling.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:39 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
Quote:
Sean sean sean sean... when people in other professions (of similar educational requirements) screw up at work it only means that faxes don't get sent or somebody's coffee isn't sweet enough.
Yes, and that is why there are separate laws for police officers. And that is why the current salary structure is an injustice. And that is why the training received in the academy is just a "cover your ass" protocol. All of these things need to be addressed to ensure a professional police agency. Perhaps you are blaming the wrong people, the fingers should pointing at the city council, city hall and One Police Plaza.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 AM

415 posts, read 1,394,845 times
Debate on this topic is useless. People who spend their lives dealing with criminals, and those who support them, have one view on this case. People who view law enforcement as trigger happy or racist have another view. Where you stand on this issue depends on where you sit. I have been working in federal law enforcement for a number of years and I fully support these detectives and pray for their continued success in the never ending battle they are fighting for simply doing their jobs.
I for one would never work for the nypd. I took the test years ago but the feds called first and I thank god they did. Cops in the city have a thankless and low paying job that gets them prosecuted to appease poverty pimps like charles barron and al sharpton. Hopefully more cops will see the writing on the wall and quit. If PERB does not come through in a big way I expect many will. God Bless those MOS who have served and continue to do so. May god be with you and protect you from the thankless masses you protect.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Have there been any riots?

Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
Debate on this topic is useless. People who spend their lives dealing with criminals, and those who support them, have one view on this case. People who view law enforcement as trigger happy or racist have another view. Where you stand on this issue depends on where you sit. I have been working in federal law enforcement for a number of years and I fully support these detectives and pray for their continued success in the never ending battle they are fighting for simply doing their jobs.
I for one would never work for the nypd. I took the test years ago but the feds called first and I thank god they did. Cops in the city have a thankless and low paying job that gets them prosecuted to appease poverty pimps like charles barron and al sharpton. Hopefully more cops will see the writing on the wall and quit. If PERB does not come through in a big way I expect many will. God Bless those MOS who have served and continue to do so. May god be with you and protect you from the thankless masses you protect.
Thank you, and my grandfather thanks you (NYPD). I knew I couldn't handle well the outright ignorance of the 'thankless masses', having seen it in action, and being judged as a criminal because another officer whom I might not even know is a very bad guy. Not being paid enough to even cover living expenses? Risk my life for that? No thanks.

I've been following this thread. I agree with you. May God Bless those who have served honorably and with good intention.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Default race cards are good trump cards

Have to give Sharpton credit for having tremendous courage in the face of truth and the overwhelming pull of changing times. His personality is bigger than life and he is the human articulation of a people that refuses to better themselves. He is willing to go against members of his own community, cops that work a hard job and put their butts on the line, while standing up for a crew that is out at the most notorious (drugs, whores, crack, heroin)area in Jamaica 8 hours before he is supposed to be married.

He does not let being wrong or completely ridiculous get in the way of his outlandish rabble rousing. He had the crowd outside the courthouse shouting KKK at the two black officers and the Caribbean one too. Do you think the KKK would have admitted those three to their ranks? Even with an increasingly Black and Latino Police force Sharpton still uses the old racist white NYPD mantra years after it had some truth. He will not let the cultural responsibility deferral die and the people love him for it.

This is a man who makes no sense whatsoever, put still sticks to his guns and plays his race cards over and over. The masses love him for it because he validates deep seated emotions of anger, a very real feeling among a marginalized population. It is sure easier to play a race card than to take personal responsibility and Sharpton leads the way in blaming the man, even if the man now looks like you and me.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 04-29-2008 at 10:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City