Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,164 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about guns, never fired one, but if there were 50 shots total fired, and he fired 31, so the other 2 guys fired 10 a piece. Does it take a long time to fire 31 shots? That does sounds excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah but in that list race is probably the least important or relevant, would you agree?
maybe.

If one of the black cops approached them first without immediatly identifying himself then bell most probably feared what we so commonly see in the hood, black on black crime. remember, they had beef in the club with another man prior to leaving.

So its not race in a black/white sense. blacks and hispanic's are just as racist to each other.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I don't know anything about guns, never fired one, but if there were 50 shots total fired, and he fired 31, so the other 2 guys fired 10 a piece. Does it take a long time to fire 31 shots? That does sounds excessive.
It doesn't take long at all. Just a couple of seconds from my understanding with the type of gun the police used.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
When the charges first came out, I remember the news showing him going out to dinner and etc. I think those images stayed in people's heads. It made him look bad.

When you deal with this type of stuff every day in your line of work you have two choices...go on with your normal life when you take the badge off or crack up..he had been a cop long enough to just go on with life....sad but true....

Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,891 times
Everyone is fixated on the number of shots. The number is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not the cops thought their lives were in danger. If so, they are allowed to defend themselves -- or others -- with the use of deadly physical force. And that deadly physical force can be one shot -- or a hundred shots. Doesn't matter.

Cops are taught to keep shooting until they believe the threat no longer exists. This isn't television -- there's no shooting someone in the leg or the arm to wound them. The law doesn't limit how many shots or where the shots are aimed. It simply authorizes the use of force.

I'm not at all surprised by the verdict. All of the race issues are just a distraction. Bottom line is that the cops could articulate to a judge that they feared for their lives and/or the lives of their partners and that's all that's necessary. The decision to waive the jury trial was a good one, since there is no contending with the emotions of the jury and no issues with the jury coming to a verdict that may not be in accordance with the case presented.

That all being said, this isn't over for those cops, by a long shot. After the federal civil rights investigation (and there will be one), there will be the inevitable civil suits. And none of those cops will ever work the street again. Their careers are now gone. This is a no win situation for anyone involved.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:18 AM

564 posts, read 1,726,962 times
Michael Oliver proves my claims that Lebanese people are White. Anyone else still wish to argue over that?

I haven't followed the trial much, so I don't know what to say. I heard Oliver fired 31 of the shots, so racism may be a factor. Either way, what happened happened, and I'm expecting Al Sharpton to react that "the justice system is holding the brothas down."

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM

304 posts, read 856,431 times
Micheal Oliver is of haitian descent...it was in the daily news and all over the internet...not lebanese!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:55 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
I believe this was a tragic thing but the prosecution just did not have proof of criminality. I wasn't there and will not pretent to know just what happened or why.
There really are no winners here. It's a sad case.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM

564 posts, read 1,726,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
Micheal Oliver is of haitian descent...it was in the daily news and all over the internet...not lebanese!
As I replied to you in the Jersey thread:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11282006/photos/news004c.jpg (broken link)

That's Michael Oliver. He looks very Mediterranean/Lebanese to me. I'm from the region. I know that's how my people look like. He certainly is not Haitian.

This Daily News article suggests he's Lebanese too: City holds breath for Sean Bell verdict

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
Really, I believe you might be confusing him with one of the other PO'S. I've seen several media outlets indicate he was Lebanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City