Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

What do you think? This is in Rochester, NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvgV9KiT24E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Anywhere upstate ,with an A frame home,and an acre or so of land... keep it under lock and key during off time.

Right know is the best time to spend till September.
Hit the wholesale meats, learn to bake some bread, and start a small veggie farm. Life would be great . Eating healthy,thinking healthy,and getting some good old excercise ...of course, you still need some form of getting online...
I wouldn't call her completely self-sufficient if she's parked in her parent's land. And she didn't show her bathroom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLCAYR8_GFQ

Old 04-18-2020, 09:11 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
What do you think? This is in Rochester, NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvgV9KiT24E
I couldn't long-term and can't see myself doing it short-term either. I heard you got to find a place to "put the dock down," and so you're basically paying rent on top of whatever payment you might have for your tiny home. Some of the tiny homes are like $100,000. I'm like are u f ing for real?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I wouldn't call her completely self-sufficient if she's parked in her parent's land. And she didn't show her bathroom...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLCAYR8_GFQ
This is why I can't with a tiny home. I saw some on HGTV and they didn't even have a sink in the bathroom meaning people would have to use the kitchen sink. Yuck! And then many are not connected to a sewer line and so they do the composting thing.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:01 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
I used to go upstate very regularly and I would not want to stay in a tiny house.

When I want to stay in a small space, I go camping. I do that a lot.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
I used to visit friends in the Bronx that lived in a tiny 2 room apartment in a high rise guarded by vigilante residents.

At noon on Friday, they headed for their A frame cabin 2 hours out of NYC. It was their way of life.

If I had to work in NYC, I couldn't blame them for wanting out of that rat race commute to downtown in all kinds of weather walking to the subway.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:11 AM

I've decided I'm more the cabin type for a weekend getaway (like some of the cabins that were shown on my original post). There are tiny house communities but then I'm thinking what's the difference between a tiny house and a trailer?

Nope. No, tiny houses for me unless I was straight out of college and under 25.

Old 04-23-2020, 12:57 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I'm shocked that there is not a tiny house community on some plots of land in parts of NYC. Then again, there could be and I just don't know.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I used to visit friends in the Bronx that lived in a tiny 2 room apartment in a high rise guarded by vigilante residents.

At noon on Friday, they headed for their A frame cabin 2 hours out of NYC. It was their way of life.

If I had to work in NYC, I couldn't blame them for wanting out of that rat race commute to downtown in all kinds of weather walking to the subway.
What's with the sudden interest in all of our threads?

Is Alabama code for "Spain"?

I'm watching closely...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-26-2020, 02:55 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
This tiny house is located in Sydney, Australia. In Rochester, NY, you could probably used it for eight weeks between a late spring and an early fall. Can't imagine it is easy to heat in harsh upstate NY winters. But, the pictures are beautiful - like a dream to social isolated New Yorkers on another raining day.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...isolation.html

Old 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM

43 posts, read 28,154 times
Or you could just buy... a REGULAR suburban (smaller) home in a nice Rochester neighborhood and dispense with all the silly "tiny house" faddishness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City