Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 05:36 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times

Advertisements

So the needs to show a decrease of the coronavirus in cases right? Has anyone considered, who is healthy going to get tested so the stats show less people are getting it and we'll be able to open sooner?

Old 05-14-2020, 05:42 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah...yeah.... and that's why I say, if the numbers turn out not be all that significant after the re-opening I'll be the first to say, it was all an over reaction. Which would be fine. I hope this is all an over reaction and things will be just fine and everything will come back to normal. And I don't have to wear a mask anymore because I can't run with that thing on.
Maybe—I think there are substantial differences in regards to opening up now versus what was happening when we started closing down, and those differences go into the argument for why opening up now isn’t as tricky. One of the bigger differences is that a lot more people are aware of this virus and take it seriously, so measures that reduce the spread such as wearing masks, washing one’s hand with soap and water more frequently, and staying home if feeling ill are likely more prevalent now than before. This also goes into practices that aren’t just personal ones with more employers willing to allow WFH and building janitorial staff and the MTA doing a more thorough job of cleaning. Many people are also going to continue to be leery of frequent, large gatherings and that would also reduce the chances of large new outbreaks.

In regards to the disease itself, diagnosing and treating the disease is a lot better now than where we stood before, especially on testing which is what was the major early blunder. Testing is a lot better now which also means that there’s a lot more hope for contact tracing and containing later on without the use of brute force lockdowns. Treatment has gotten somewhat better and there are actual positive trials for at least one drug that seems to mitigate the worst effects in severe cases. Finally, it’s possible, though not proven, that antigens people developed in recovering from the virus means that there’s now a fairly large body of people who cannot be reinfected nor be carriers to infect others. That altogether points to now being a hell of a lot better state than before.

Right now, parts of China are going through a second run of the virus and it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out. South Korea is also now faced with a potential new spread due to one club-happy person, and so it’ll be interesting to see how effectively they can contain that. I think a reasonable way of opening up is to make sure there’s good enough monitoring to track the disease and to have a plan for what parameters should trigger a potential reintroduction of some lockdown measure. Lockdowns seem to obviously work for the most part, but the idea is that we need to reopen, so having an idea of what levers to pull and when to do so, sort of makes sense as we try to reopen everything back up.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-14-2020 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe—I think there are substantial differences in regards to opening up now versus what was happening when we started closing down, and those differences go into the argument towards why opening up now isn’t as tricky. One of the bigger differences is that a lot more people are aware of this virus and take it seriously, so measures that reduce the spread such as wearing masks, washing one’s hand with soap and water more frequently, and staying home if feeling ill are almost certainly a lot more prevalent now than before. This also goes into practices that aren’t just personal ones with more employers willing to allow WFH and building janitorial staff and the MTA doing a more thorough job of cleaning. Many people are also going to continue to be leery of frequent, large gatherings and that would also reduce the chances of large new outbreaks. In regards to the disease itself, diagnosing and treating the disease is a lot better now than where we stood before, especially on testing which is what was the major early blunder. Testing is a lot better now which also means that there’s a lot more hope for contact tracing and containing later on without the use of brute force lockdowns. Treatment has gotten somewhat better and there are actual positive trials for at least one drug that seems to mitigate the worst effects in severe cases. Finally, it’s possible, though not proven, that antigens people developed in recovering the virus means that there’s now a fairly large body of people who cannot be reinfected nor be carriers to infect others. That altogether points to now being a hell of a lot better state than before.

Right now, parts of China are going through a second run of the virus and it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out. South Korea is also now faced with a potential new spread due to one club-happy person, and so it’ll be interesting to see how effectively they can contain that.
Yeah. We just have to wait and see. Let's see what happens. I've been for the re-opening. Just re-open responsibly. Wear masks, social distance (as much as possible because it's darn near impossible at times) wash your hands with soap & water or use sanitizer (most places have them for customers and I see people using them like mad) and avoid places that are "iffy" for the time being until a vaccine is found. If they want to go clubbing/bar hopping fine I just won't hang with you. I see most store owners re-opening with caution and some owners even shut their businesses back down because the customers refused to act responsibly.

Give it a shot. Millions of people are out of work. Food lines are outrageous. I just hope we go about this the right way. If enough people act sensibly... And I'm not with Cuomo's plan because he wants everything neat and tidy with all the ducks in a row before he re-opens NYC and I think ....that's just ... not going to work. The Fed is not co operating and you have to make do with what you've got.

Last edited by Aeran; 05-14-2020 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 06:00 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Yeah. We just have to wait and see. Let's see what happens. I've been for the re-opening. Just re-open responsibly. Wear masks, social distance (as much as possible because it's darn near impossible at times) wash your hands with soap & water or use sanitizer (most places have them for customers and I see people using them like mad) and avoid places that are "iffy" for the time being until a vaccine is found. If they want to go clubbing/bar hopping fine I just won't hang with you. I see most store owners re-opening with caution and some owners even shut their businesses back down because the customers refused to act responsibly.

Give it a shot. Millions of people are out of work. Food lines are outrageous. I just hope we go about this the right way. And I'm not with Cuomo's plan because he wants everything neat and tidy with all the ducks in a row before he re-opens NYC and I think ....that's just ... not going to work.
Yea, I’m for reopening, too. The US doesn’t have a plan for a stable, orderly lockdown and reopening like Germany does. It’s just going to have to eat more **** for it one way or another, but that’s what we have. I think the graduated reopening phases are a tad too long, and that it’s more important to have a clearly explained plan for monitoring and what benchmarks would retrigger a lockdown and to what extent. If we’re going for trial and error, then it makes sense to have a clear idea of what an error is and how to move on to the next trial.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Maybe—I think there are substantial differences in regards to opening up now versus what was happening when we started closing down, and those differences go into the argument for why opening up now isn’t as tricky. One of the bigger differences is that a lot more people are aware of this virus and take it seriously, so measures that reduce the spread such as wearing masks, washing one’s hand with soap and water more frequently, and staying home if feeling ill are likely more prevalent now than before. This also goes into practices that aren’t just personal ones with more employers willing to allow WFH and building janitorial staff and the MTA doing a more thorough job of cleaning. Many people are also going to continue to be leery of frequent, large gatherings and that would also reduce the chances of large new outbreaks.

In regards to the disease itself, diagnosing and treating the disease is a lot better now than where we stood before, especially on testing which is what was the major early blunder. Testing is a lot better now which also means that there’s a lot more hope for contact tracing and containing later on without the use of brute force lockdowns. Treatment has gotten somewhat better and there are actual positive trials for at least one drug that seems to mitigate the worst effects in severe cases. Finally, it’s possible, though not proven, that antigens people developed in recovering the virus means that there’s now a fairly large body of people who cannot be reinfected nor be carriers to infect others. That altogether points to now being a hell of a lot better state than before.

Right now, parts of China are going through a second run of the virus and it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out. South Korea is also now faced with a potential new spread due to one club-happy person, and so it’ll be interesting to see how effectively they can contain that. I think a reasonable way of opening up is to make sure there’s good enough monitoring to track the disease and to have a plan for what parameters should trigger a potential reintroduction of some lockdown measure. Lockdowns seem to obviously work for the most part, but the idea is that we need to reopen, so having an idea of what levers to pull and when to do so, sort of makes sense as we try to reopen everything back up.
A welcome voice of reason. Thank you.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Yea, I’m for reopening, too. The US doesn’t have a plan for a stable, orderly lockdown and reopening like Germany does. It’s just going to have to eat more **** for it one way or another, but that’s what we have. I think the graduated reopening phases are a tad too long, and that it’s more important to have a clearly explained plan for monitoring and what benchmarks would retrigger a lockdown and to what extent. If we’re going for trial and error, then it makes sense to have a clear idea of what an error is and how to move on to the next trial.
Well...I think we're going to bumble and stumble are way through this whole thing and we're in for a bumpy ride. Or ..maybe not. Maybe poof! this whole thing will just miraculously go away (sarcasm). We shall see.

Old 05-14-2020, 06:43 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
When I saw those protesters who are of the boomer generation (and really should know better that these measures are primarily for THEM, them being one of the vulnerable population that Covid targets) I think of my grandparents who as a family, we are trying to protect. And I think of my brother and sister in law who are both pediatricians but were pulled into the ER because of Covid. I see those protesters and I see red. Not the ones who wear masks but the ones who don't.
I have not seen any news broadcasts that showed real Baby Boomers. Just people in there 40's maybe who are borderline millennials like me who young failed millennials and Gen Z flippantly CALL boomers. You're free to post links to articles or videos of protests made up primarily of 55-70+ year old's though.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-14-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I have not seen any news broadcasts that showed real Baby Boomers. Just people in there 40's maybe who are borderline millennials like me who young failed millennials and Gen Z flippantly CALL boomers. You're free to post links to articles or videos of protests made up primarily of 55-70+ year old's though.
None of the protests are made up of people representing one particular generation to the exclusion of all others; nope it's a mixed bag of protesters encompassing all generations although I think they're predominantly Caucasian. I've even seen children present although they're not marching or shouting, just standing there.

The protesters who are over 55 (Boomers) who are present albeit not in large numbers, I find it odd that they're even there in the first place! Not that they should be cowering in fear at home instead but I'm wondering why they're so bent out of shape over the lock down when they are the most susceptible group to suffer from Covid and the lock down is to protect them? (I even heard one of them sprouting Darwinism and if I can find the audio, I'll link it). Unless... oh, maybe they don't think so (that it's protecting them). Maybe they think it's all a scam. Ok. Whatever. They're free to think that. And to protest. I just find it grating for some reason above all the other generations that are present protesting because what if they're wrong.

Btw, if they were wearing masks it wouldn't bother me so much. And I've seen some protesters wearing masks and social distancing. I'm cool with that. They just want the lock down to end so they can provide for their families. Not that Covid is some kind of scam.

Last edited by Aeran; 05-14-2020 at 09:00 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 06:43 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:

In regards to the disease itself, diagnosing and treating the disease is a lot better now than where we stood before, especially on testing which is what was the major early blunder. Testing is a lot better now which also means that there’s a lot more hope for contact tracing and containing later on without the use of brute force lockdowns. Treatment has gotten somewhat better and there are actual positive trials for at least one drug that seems to mitigate the worst effects in severe cases. Finally, it’s possible, though not proven, that antigens people developed in recovering from the virus means that there’s now a fairly large body of people who cannot be reinfected nor be carriers to infect others. That altogether points to now being a hell of a lot better state than before.

Just for the sake of clarity people are developing antibodies in response to antigens.

What bothered me about work was they were letting people come back after however many days if they were symptom free and they kept touting fourteen days as a threshold. I have seen patients positive for at least 21+ days!

Quote:

Give it a shot. Millions of people are out of work. Food lines are outrageous. I just hope we go about this the right way. If enough people act sensibly... And I'm not with Cuomo's plan because he wants everything neat and tidy with all the ducks in a row before he re-opens NYC and I think ....that's just ... not going to work. The Fed is not co operating and you have to make do with what you've got.
I think more stores can begin to open up with precautions. For example, let's say they reopen furniture stores. Furniture stores can have people make appointments, require them to wear masks and gloves when they are touching furniture, etc. Otherwise what will happen anyway is that states will open before NY and people from NY will go to those stores.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Just for the sake of clarity people are developing antibodies in response to antigens.

What bothered me about work was they were letting people come back after however many days if they were symptom free and they kept touting fourteen days as a threshold. I have seen patients positive for at least 21+ days!

I think more stores can begin to open up with precautions. For example, let's say they reopen furniture stores. Furniture stores can have people make appointments, require them to wear masks and gloves when they are touching furniture, etc. Otherwise what will happen anyway is that states will open before NY and people from NY will go to those stores.
21+ days?! Does that mean they're still infectious? I also heard that they can't guarantee or don't even know if those who have had it are immune to it permanently. So, there's that.

There's no neat and orderly way to re open things up. Cuomo is being unrealistic. It's going to be messy; stop and go. Ultimately, I think it's up to the individual and to what extent they're going to protect themselves. Do what you can as much as it depends on you and hope for the best. This is gonna get messy and Cuomo just delaying the inevitable is a mess onto itself. He's being a bit of a control freak now.

Unless...! They make a vaccine. And there's the rub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City