Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 06:51 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,600,720 times

Advertisements

Yes the city is letting people drink on the streets now. Bars are opening up for takeout. They put a makeshift little bar right by the window or their door and people come up and order a drink. Upper East side was popping today with people drinking on the sidewalk.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's your imagination. My mask did not make me any warmer yesterday and it was 85 degrees.
Not my imagination dude. I've been outside all day long. Both Days I walked a total of 24 miles.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:22 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Yes the city is letting people drink on the streets now. Bars are opening up for takeout. They put a makeshift little bar right by the window or their door and people come up and order a drink. Upper East side was popping today with people drinking on the sidewalk.
From the Post:

Outside popular bars in the Upper East Side, the East Village and in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, booze-hounds came for the take-out cocktails, and then stayed, and stayed — sipping drinks on packed sidewalks — and soaking up lively scene, which rubbed those most vulnerable to the virus the wrong way

Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
From the Post:

Outside popular bars in the Upper East Side, the East Village and in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, booze-hounds came for the take-out cocktails, and then stayed, and stayed — sipping drinks on packed sidewalks — and soaking up lively scene, which rubbed those most vulnerable to the virus the wrong way
Told ya...lol

Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
From the Post:

Who needs a bar to drink outside? A brown bag hooch, or Starbucks/McD's cup filled with a favorite beverage is a tried and true classic. You can socially distance too on a nice day. You can even save money. A bottle of Thunderbird or Night Train cost far less then most bar drinks. All win.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:12 AM

33,993 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Who needs a bar to drink outside? A brown bag hooch, or Starbucks/McD's cup filled with a favorite beverage is a tried and true classic. You can socially distance too on a nice day. You can even save money. A bottle of Thunderbird or Night Train cost far less then most bar drinks. All win.
People are clamoring for the service industry to fully re-open

Now I kinda get it

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-17-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I was walking up 2nd ave...I pasted at least 20 bars. They all had cheap specials. It was to support the businesses. Of course we can all drink ourselves on the street. When life does resume, if we want to be able to go to the places we once did we must support them or they won't be able to re open.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:42 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Not my imagination dude. I've been outside all day long. Both Days I walked a total of 24 miles.
Let me get this straight...

You walk 12 miles a day during the two hottest days in Spring and you blame the mask for being hot????

Old 05-17-2020, 10:44 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People are clamoring for the service industry to fully re-open

Now I kinda get it
Let them clamor, and then not a tear will be shed when they drop dead

Old 05-17-2020, 01:05 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,121,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Let them clamor, and then not a tear will be shed when they drop dead

I symp-o-thize with bar owners and restaurant owners, et al. The only problem is all of that hospitality industry is pretty fragile at the best of times, with many businesses going under within the first couple of years. I do want to encourage those that have been good to us in the past, good food, good service, cleanliness, etc... I wouldn't go out of my way to save the whole lot. Let's hope governments don't get involved in more that we can't handle in the long run.

I think that small and medium sized businesses need to continue existing for landlords and lenders to thrive. There has to be negotiating on all sides for better terms. it is not in the lenders' interest to end up with 20%
bankruptcy rates, and no payroll checks coming in. For the economy to keep going, lenders and landlords need to put water in their wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.