Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:02 AM

5,679 posts, read 2,610,110 times

Advertisements

Since our other thread got closed, I wanted to start a new thread where people could talk about their daily lives in NY now. I think its nice to have a thread to talk about life. Especially for those that may live alone and not have much contact with people. Its important To have a support system.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:12 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,467,022 times

Old 04-17-2020, 09:52 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
I think (only my opinion, obviously) that everything that made NYC an attractive place to live is basically destroyed now. If this is going to be the new framework -- avoiding crowds, not having bars/restaurants open or on severely uncomfortable/modified operations, large gatherings banned, etc, etc...there is really no point to be here. I had already been close to making a decision to leave, but now that we are forced to wear masks even for the most basic chores of daily life, there is no way in hell I think its worth living here (given the cost of living and what we will now be getting in return). No thanks.

As for daily life, I wasn't the type to go out much anyway, but at least my work made it somewhat tolerable to live here. My daily life has not really changed (except the mask thing...and businesses I used to go to buy something now closed)...so slightly less activity than before. In everything else, this truly truly truly is a nightmare when you see all the restrictions.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:57 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I think (only my opinion, obviously) that everything that made NYC an attractive place to live is basically destroyed now. If this is going to be the new framework -- avoiding crowds, not having bars/restaurants open or on severely uncomfortable/modified operations, large gatherings banned, etc, etc...there is really no point to be here. I had already been close to making a decision to leave, but now that we are forced to wear masks even for the most basic chores of daily life, there is no way in hell I think its worth living here (given the cost of living and what we will now be getting in return). No thanks.

As for daily life, I wasn't the type to go out much anyway, but at least my work made it somewhat tolerable to live here. My daily life has not really changed (except the mask thing...and businesses I used to go to buy something now closed)...so slightly less activity than before. In everything else, this truly truly truly is a nightmare when you see all the restrictions.
My daily life is certainly restricted but I finally figured out how to be productive and calmer and not read news 24/7.

Btw, this is not a "forever" situation. It will last a while but there WILL be a vaccine and at that point things should return to some level of normalcy.

My current challenges are: find a grocery store I like that has a positive shopping experience. I used to go to Trader Joes 2x a week and now I'm relying on stores in Queens which tend to be not so great.

Other challenge is figuring out how to work out at home. I have apps, FB live workout videos, weights, etc. but I'm lacking the motivation

Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Perfect thread description and a relevant LOCAL topic.

Posters are reminded to stay on topic. Same rules as the last thread will apply and be enforced.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-17-2020, 10:29 AM

874 posts, read 454,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post

"Since our other thread got closed, I wanted to start a new thread where people could talk about their daily lives in NY now.

I think its nice to have a thread to talk about life. Especially for those that may live alone and not have much contact with people.

Its important To have a support system."

I'm great and blessed!

...but...

you skipped over yourself........ (". . .wanted to start a new thread where people could talk about their daily lives in NY now").

so, how are ya? how's your daily life ?

...and the rest of the gang:

henna and airborneguy and aerean.....and you & you..

are you all hunkered down and getting enough to eat ?

stay safe...........

Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I’m working and going about my daily life as best as possible. Getting used to wearing a mask. Trying new whiskeys every weekend. Working out like I’m preparing for the end of the world.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-17-2020, 11:40 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I had been hoping to leave NYC for quite some time, but was here due to taking care of my elderly grandmother. She passed away, so I'm now looking to expedite my plans to leave.

Being stuck at home is torture for me, even though I have a job I can do for the time being at home. It's still hard for me to sit in the house all the time. Summer is the one season I really look forward to and now everything will be closed (pools, beaches), there's nothing to look forward to. NYC lost its appeal to me long ago....

I knew back in January it was going to get bad here...I was watching videos on what was going on in Wuhan and said to myself, once it gets to this city, it's going to be catastrophic. This is worse than I anticipated though.

I'm saving lots of money to make my escape from here. Hoping to in the next six months or so. Hopefully somewhere warm, less crowded and more laid back.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:42 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I had been hoping to leave NYC quite some time ago, but was here due to taking care of my elderly grandmother. She passed away, so I'm now looking to expedite my plans to leave.

Being stuck at home is torture for me, even though I have a job I can do for the time being at home. It's still hard for me to sit in the house all the time. Summer is the one season I really look forward to and now everything will be closed (pools, beaches), there's nothing to look forward to. NYC lost its appeal to me long ago....

I knew back in January it was going to get bad here...I was watching videos on what was going on in Wuham and said to myself, once it gets to this city, it's going to be catastrophic. This is worse than I anticipated though.

I'm saving lots of money to make my escape from here. Hoping to in the next six months or so. Hopefully somewhere warm, less crowded and more laid back.
You go girl. As a new yorker. I know of a dozen peopleeople mainly friends and family associates who are sick with covid. 11 recovered and 1 passed. This virus is going to have a major impact on NYC.

As for my daily life? I miss the gym, miss the xbox, miss roof top lounges on a spring day. I miss family and i miss work.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:58 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I miss my friends and I miss going out for fun. We've been taking shifts at the studio making PPE as volunteers. It's an odd walk to the studio seeing so many things closed.

I wish I had gone through with having an aquarium. I think I could've really gotten into that right now. I'm happy to have a cat. I've also been doing a lot more videochats including with people I rarely see in person since they don't live in the city, and that's been pretty good language practice.

I was going to work on doing pet projects using golang which I'd been meaning to get into, but the motivation for that leaves me pretty quickly.

I'm growing a lot of scallion since they're so easy to grow and I still had a few pots and dirt left and bunches of scallion from the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City