Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a state close to NYC where I can move from the South Bronx into a nice Town house. Can anyone provide me with advise on some areas that are decent to reside if I choose to move to the following states: "CONNECTICUT" or "PENNSYLVANIA"

My goal is to move out sometime in the next 8 months before the new year.

I currently live in the NYCHA developments in the Bronx and I want to leave NYC but not too far being that my daughter lives in NYC.

Thank you for your support in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 01:50 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
It might be easier to answer your question if you provide some details like:

How much per month can you pay for rent?
Do you drive or do you need to rely on public transportation?
How far are you willing to live from NYC (number of hours) and how would you be travelling to NY?
Do you need to look for a job in the new area or are you retire?

Off the top of my head, I know someone who relocated to Easton, PA. It's accessible to NYC by bus -- I think it's a couple hours, but you can look it up. The rents are quite reasonable there. I'm not sure if all of it or nice or if it has some sketchy parts (I think some parts are sketchy), but where he lives is nice.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:58 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
Home prices, property taxes and state income taxes in the area close to NYC are simply frightening. A little more info on your current work status, etc. might help getting you assistance.

I could easily live 60 miles up the Hudson River since buses are available to get you down into the city in an hour or so.

But the quality of life in popular priced neighborhoods any closer (for the most part) is just unacceptable for me.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:15 AM

357 posts, read 125,387 times
I guess Jersey's out of the cards? It's pretty close to NYC

Old 04-27-2020, 05:19 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Like it or hate it,the following is only my opinion:

God Bless you for wanting to get out of NYCHA.

I will try my best with the information given.

Anyplace under an hour by mass transit to rent is going to be over $1,500 a month.

The further away the cheaper the rent.

Neighborhoods an hour and a half away from the city by transit might land you $1,200 to $1,500 dollars a month.

Neighborhoods 2 hours from the city by transit might land you $850 to $1,200 a month.

Utilities usually not included these days. You are fortunate if you find any one utility included.

Best wishes........

Old 04-27-2020, 06:17 AM

874 posts, read 454,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRUZ_9296 View Post

"I am searching for a state close to NYC where I can move from the South Bronx into a
nice Town house.

Can anyone provide me with advise on some areas that are decent to
reside if I choose to move to the following states: "CONNECTICUT" or "PENNSYLVANIA"

My goal is to move out sometime in the next 8 months before the new year.

I currently live in the NYCHA developments in the Bronx and I want to leave NYC but not
too far being that my daughter lives in NYC.

Thank you for your support in advance."

Have you posted your query at the Connecticut and Pennsylvania threads?

I’m SURE you have….they would know more about that (safe/non-safe areas) than goofy brooklynites !

No offense brokenlyn folk………
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: