Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 03:51 PM

19 posts, read 17,370 times

Advertisements

I rent a room in NYC. My hours have been reduced, and what money I am making has been going to food. I have not paid my rent in almost 3 weeks (Prior to the shutdown, I was NEVER late with my rent for 10 months, I pay weekly) I called the apt owner a few weeks ago and was up front with him to what's going on, and I told him I'd do my best. He called me a few times and actually asked me if I got my stimulus check. I'm scared, I don't know how long this is going on for and while rent is a priority food and my medication comes before that. He wasn't mean or anything, and I do get he's hurting too...it's a situation that sucks for everyone. I hope the city has a plan to help both tenants AND landlords.

But I fear this is going to get ugly, what little money I have I need to hold on to, no one really knows how long this is going to last. The guy who's name the apartment is under lives in NJ and his brother a few doors down, who I usually give the rent to. In the past 3 weeks the only purchases I have made are for food, my meds, gloves and face masks. I'm trying to figure out how to tell him that I need to hold on to what little I have to get the things my life and health depend on and I don't know how, again I'm scared. I know I can not get evicted but prior to this I had an excellent tenant/landlord relationship as I was never late with my rent and I'm very clean. I'm sorry if this is all over the place, it's just hard to concentrate. I have also been looking for work and no one is hiring, not my local supermarket, not the nearest dollar tree, anyone. I have been doing photoshop work to make a little money but again, it's going to food, medication. Since Spectrum is giving people 60 days I have not even paid my cable bill. Again the biggest thing is how to handle this guy, especially if it gets ugly which I fear it's going to. If anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful. I hope everyone here and their loved ones are safe and stay that way! Thx again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:54 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Four walls FIRST. You have to pay your room rent. What is left goes to food etc....

Old 04-22-2020, 04:03 PM

62 posts, read 36,824 times
What are you stupid ?

Do you think that your well-being, your livelihood, your freedom, your need to put food on the table, the inability and underprivileged of having no ways to make money and ability to live unimpeded, unimposed upon is less than a group of ~ 65 year old baby boomers who posses greater than 50% of the world's economy, have shut down all economic movement world wide, have enough money to last for another 20 years because they are scared to death to catch some flu that will wipe them out of existence and their snowflake entitled reign will end ?

Cv19 is less than 1% death rate.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:04 PM

LLCNYC, you are kidding right? If I don't eat or get my meds I won't be able to do what I'm doing to survive..10s of thousands of new yorkers are going through this same thing..which is why the governor put a 90 day moratorium on evictions...along with the majority of states.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:05 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNYC View Post
LLCNYC, you are kidding right? If I don't eat or get my meds I won't be able to do what I'm doing to survive..10s of thousands of new yorkers are going through this same thing.
No. Not kidding. Your landlord isnt running a charity.

Good luck eating your food and taking your meds outdoors.

Not to mention, you cant afford $350 a week on a good day.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:08 PM

I wonder if LL in LLCNYC stands for landlord. I'm not asking for free rent, I'm asking for understanding while this goes on and after I get back to work I can start paying him back. And based on your $350 a week comment you didn't clearly read through my last post.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:13 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
Pretty sure landlord needs to go through court to evict you. He can’t just put your stuff in bags and put them in the street.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Pretty sure landlord needs to go through court to evict you. He can’t just put your stuff in bags and put them in the street.
I'm aware of that Foxy, I'm not asking for tips on how to keep from being thrown out - I'm asking for advice on how to work it out with this guy, and how to deal with it if it gets ugly.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:17 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Your landlord cannot evict you and there's a very strong chance they are in a far better financial position than you that does not include risking their actual lives. I'd look into any programs that can help you pay for food and medication. I'd also try running the numbers for how much money you have, the worst case scenario for how much you could have coming in, your expenses, and when the moratorium ends. Try to think through what are reasonable options for when the moratorium is lifted. If things don't look super dire, then try to calculate how much you could afford and try to arrange something with your landlord for that amount, but realize that when the moratorium is lifted, you may still need to find another place (at which point, it might be a much more affordable city than before!). Also, do you have a security deposit? If you do, you may just ask the landlord to take the security deposit for however much is left.

Remember, it's definitely a lot better to owe your landlord money and make him frowny than it is to have long-term physical health conditions (or death, the longest-term of physical health conditions!) which would greatly impact any earning potential for you in the future that would eclipse anything the landlord loses from the moratorium.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:18 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
Well if you don’t pay your rent it’s going to get ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City