Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-07-2020, 05:25 PM
 
Location: In a rural area
910 posts, read 756,378 times
Reputation: 1432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Oh yes and every attorney is involved in pro bono work, and they never charge fees.

Listen doctors and attorneys need not to put themselves at a high moral level. Their love of income is just as great as those who they accuse of being unethical.
Yup...I can attest to that. I had the unfortunate need to hire a lawyer because I had to evict a deadbeat psycho roommate. I will never forget how even the last call, which basically was the attorney saying to me "good luck and if you need me again don't hesitate to call me" was actually, wait for it, a BILLED call for 15 minutes. I won't even get into the fact that I was the one who ultimately kicked out the roommate by using a combo of psych skills and being more psycho towards him than he was to me, but my point is that yeah, lawyers are NOT in a position to talk about anyone being a predator.

In fact, it is in their interest to drag out cases so they can squeeze you and bill you as much as possible. I used to suspect and dislike expressions like "I hate lawyers", but after having dealt personally with quite a few in recent years, yeah, they are scum for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2020, 05:34 PM
 
5,450 posts, read 2,733,446 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
People still think I am joking but it's time people face the reality that this will be the new norm for atleast another year to be optimistic. The old way of life in NYC is not coming back atleast a year or more. People who are pushing the mayor or governor to open up have no clue on the implications. There are no place in NYC that you can practice safe distance and operate. I don't care if you have N95 mask you cannot go into an eatery and eat with a mask on. Way of life in NYC will never be the same until 70% of the population has been vaccinated and that is at best a 2-3 year projection. So if you doubt what I said, watch what's gonna happen people start ignoring orders and the infection rates jump up again.

If you don't like lockdown, leave the city. I have relatives in Queens and LI that are perfectly content away from NYC.
In a hypothetical world where every New Yorker wore an N95 face mask it would drastically reduce the cases.

However you make a good point eating is impossible with the face mask on, major flaw.

So going along with your reasoning we need to wake up, we have a 2-3 projection maybe (faster? perhaps)

anyway let's say 2.5 years. It's funny how you say 70% vaccinated because there is also that figure for herd immunity.

Anyway let's say 2.5 years is what it takes. Restaurants, bars are down 80-95% let's say, Broadway theaters dead, etc etc

So what would life in New York be like in this 2-3 year waiting period? White collar people will be able to work in offices. Retail could operate , employees and customers wear masks.
A few restaurants and bars might figure out some sophisticated method of doing it safely but that probably will only be a novelty.
Crime will be up

How do you imagine things? I can't compare it to the 1970s because retail and eateries were in normal operation then.
On the other hand retail now includes a lot more corporate power as well as high end designer goods - but the problems is without the food and drink the vibe to support that is killed

Would certain people in certain jobs still find it worthwhile in some way to wait it out?
Maybe rents would go down at some point but even with low rent people still need a jobs to pay rent.
So we are looking at jobs excluding too much close interaction with the public,

What if you had a test that would take 2 minutes, theoretically you could have a bar, restaurant or nightclub where people could only get in if they tested negative (but that is more wishful thinking, how could that not be corrupted)

The things that worries me is if the crime rates goes higher than ever

Trump kept saying "I think we will bounce back stronger than ever". Even if that did happen many companies might continue to leave New York because they would know that the population density always cause this vulnerability for disease spread (unless they were convinced this would only happen every 90 years)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2020, 05:36 PM
 
4,757 posts, read 3,381,647 times
Reputation: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Yup...I can attest to that. I had the unfortunate need to hire a lawyer because I had to evict a deadbeat psycho roommate. I will never forget how even the last call, which basically was the attorney saying to me "good luck and if you need me again don't hesitate to call me" was actually, wait for it, a BILLED call for 15 minutes. I won't even get into the fact that I was the one who ultimately kicked out the roommate by using a combo of psych skills and being more psycho towards him than he was to me, but my point is that yeah, lawyers are NOT in a position to talk about anyone being a predator.

In fact, it is in their interest to drag out cases so they can squeeze you and bill you as much as possible. I used to suspect and dislike expressions like "I hate lawyers", but after having dealt personally with quite a few in recent years, yeah, they are scum for the most part.

TBH, I can see that field getting automated a lot quicker than others due to the high cost of hiring a lawyer. More people are choosing to represent themselves (of course this often does not end well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 04:06 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
3,559 posts, read 2,418,188 times
Reputation: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
I never said NYC was "done". I said that most of the new people who had been coming into NYC for the past decades came for a series of attractions that will NOT be available for a very long time. You would have to be very idiotic to pay a premium for a place that will be, for a very very long time (no, I cannot predict specific years but look at all the info we have about COVID as of today) just like their suburbs or small towns where they came from. Why would anybody make all the sacrifices that living in NYC entails if they will not enjoy the very reasons they moved here in the first place? So unless a vaccine is developed very soon or something else we do not know happens, I have to go by the info we have as of today's date.

Of course this is not the first time an epidemic hits NYC. So what? It is the first time where a combination of media hysteria along with changes in people's preferences and attitudes, have provoked a massive amount of people leaving. Nobody in their right mind would venture to say what NYC will look like or be in 50 or 100 years, but for the next LONG while? Yes, we can make certain predictions which are already happening.

You yourself say 2 to 3 years (yes, that at a minimum). In the meantime, not everyone has the luxury or the LOVE of NYC to wait those 2 or 3 years without a job. See where I'm going with this? You also do not know if people will be willing to risk coming back and then suffer a new outbreak of something in the future. People's expectations change and fads come and go. People who do not realize that NYC was already on the decline are living under a rock or are very comfortably well off.

I hope, for everyone's sake, that I am dead wrong about everything I've said. All I can say is based on what I know now, what we see now, things are horrific for the immediate future of NYC. I, for one, will not stay long enough to live it.
So basically you described just about every American city that has some sort of shut down currently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 04:09 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
3,559 posts, read 2,418,188 times
Reputation: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah. Oh, NYC will never survive this... Oh, NYC will never recover... Oh, NYC is done, done, done.
Oh, I have to get the he&& outta here.... Oh, I'm leaving now...
Yeah, yeah, yeah....

If you find happiness elsewhere, more power to you. Not being sarcastic.

We shall see. The grass always looks greener on the other side.
New York culture at its best. One group is no longer running the show so NYC is tanking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 04:57 AM
 
34,140 posts, read 17,210,286 times
Reputation: 17255
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Absolutely agree. When you take into consideration everything overall, it is a strong motivating factor to leave. I am already in that process (just waiting for end of May/June) and then I am moving to a place that is much more peaceful and cheaper, cleaner. A lot of people have also neglected to mention on this thread that if remote working becomes a more entrenched option, then even less of a reason to come here. Nobody would really want to put up with the commute surrounded by many sketchy/questionable type people in a packed train, plus the expensive midtown lunches and all the other expenses that NYC social life entails.
Agreed, plus corps to mitigate risk, may reduce the percentage of their workforce in NYC, either via more remote work, or new offices for them elsewhere.

This city has been hit far harder than any other city in the nation. That will harm it long-term, in attracting new grads, attracting mid-career professionals, and retaining NYC corps headcounts at their present levels.

This is a NYC game-changing moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 07:57 AM
 
Location: In a rural area
910 posts, read 756,378 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
So basically you described just about every American city that has some sort of shut down currently?
Nope. NYC is uniquely adversely affected due to the way the city is built. No other American city is as brutally densely populated as NYC. You simply cannot compare what makes people want to live in NYC to the way other cities are built. Other cities in the US tend to be much more spread out, do not rely on mass gatherings in nearly every single aspect of life such as public transportation and walking next to so many pedestrians. Other American cities are not so reliant on mass tourism either, nor are homes built on top of each other like so many thousands of buildings in NYC. No matter which way you look at it, NYC will be hit the hardest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 08:00 AM
 
Location: In a rural area
910 posts, read 756,378 times
Reputation: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Agreed, plus corps to mitigate risk, may reduce the percentage of their workforce in NYC, either via more remote work, or new offices for them elsewhere.

This city has been hit far harder than any other city in the nation. That will harm it long-term, in attracting new grads, attracting mid-career professionals, and retaining NYC corps headcounts at their present levels.

This is a NYC game-changing moment.
Exactly. There simply is ZERO incentive to stay in NYC. Everything that could make NYC livable or comfortable is now shut down because of the virus and there is no immediate end in sight. Nothing that makes the city run fairly smoothly: public transportation, mass restaurants, packed office buildings...etc, etc is safe now. If on top of that you add crime, crappy weather most of the year, high taxes, dirt and now disease, only an insane individual with nothing else to lose in life would come here for now. Will that change? Maybe, but definitely not for a very, very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Hoboken, NJ
986 posts, read 737,414 times
Reputation: 2232
There's a middle ground here. Yes, in the short-to-medium term, there will be a more severe downturn than most of the rest of the country. Is it 6 months? A year? Two? Who knows, but it will be something - real estate will take a hit, for sure. But, it will come back. It always does, and people have notoriously short memories. When offices do inevitably fully re-open, and I'm going to concede that it may not be for a while, all of those people who rushed to buy that house on some acreage in CT will be ruing their commute and remembered why the lived in the city in the first place.

Obviously don't have a crystal ball, but some of this feels a bit knee-jerk. There has not been a pandemic like this in 100 years, so no reason to believe that this is a permanent "new normal". It will be a bumpy next 12 months, but I do think this creates a buying opportunity for people that may have been priced out over the last decade. I sincerely hope that some of the native NY'ers can take back the city from the developers and global jet set (and this is coming from a non-native).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 AM
 
Location: New Jersey!!!!
19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Reputation: 21586
For what it is worth, if we are talking real estate you actually plan to live in, it really doesn’t matter if the house you are selling depresses in value as long as the home you are purchasing has done the same.

If there is a nationwide real estate slump, it balances out and NYC sellers are still better off than sellers anywhere else. Especially if the mortgage rates don’t change.

For example, a few months ago my townhouse was easily worth $410,000. Now maybe $400,000. But if the house I’m buying goes down about the same, my mortgage on that one will be exactly what it would have been had my sale been completed at $410,000 prior to the slump. Factor in the lowest mortgage rates ever and less percentage fees on the sale, you might even come out ahead.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top