Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-08-2020, 11:11 AM
 
Location: In a rural area
910 posts, read 754,407 times
Reputation: 1432

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
There's a middle ground here. Yes, in the short-to-medium term, there will be a more severe downturn than most of the rest of the country. Is it 6 months? A year? Two? Who knows, but it will be something - real estate will take a hit, for sure. But, it will come back. It always does, and people have notoriously short memories. When offices do inevitably fully re-open, and I'm going to concede that it may not be for a while, all of those people who rushed to buy that house on some acreage in CT will be ruing their commute and remembered why the lived in the city in the first place.

Obviously don't have a crystal ball, but some of this feels a bit knee-jerk. There has not been a pandemic like this in 100 years, so no reason to believe that this is a permanent "new normal". It will be a bumpy next 12 months, but I do think this creates a buying opportunity for people that may have been priced out over the last decade. I sincerely hope that some of the native NY'ers can take back the city from the developers and global jet set (and this is coming from a non-native).
What makes you think offices will "DEFINITELY" fully re-open? If companies start to see that workers are actually being more productive now and saving millions on rental office space, why would they reopen with all the added costs that entails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2020, 12:06 PM
 
7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
As others stated NYC was already going downhill, covid was the icing on the cake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
In what sense?
You pay a lot but don't get a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 12:14 PM
 
7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
What is the infection rate? Nobody knows. We can't keep living locked down in fear. Open it up and see what happens is the only way forward.
Almost everybody would test positive(ish) for Coronavirus if tested. Weather you get sick or show symptoms depends on your body's immune system and overall health.

If you are bored at home give these a watch as they are entertaining if nothing else. Most of you will write it off as nonesense because it's not what the TV or your family practitioner told you () , but I'll throw it out there anyway.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7_VuQ2b9n8&t=4s


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBE_T6iLfFg


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=088X8-j3YDc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2020, 12:41 PM
 
Location: In the heights
37,226 posts, read 39,498,461 times
Reputation: 21309
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Almost everybody would test positive(ish) for Coronavirus if tested. Weather you get sick or show symptoms depends on your body's immune system and overall health.

If you are bored at home give these a watch as they are entertaining if nothing else. Most of you will write it off as nonesense because it's not what the TV or your family practitioner told you () , but I'll throw it out there anyway.
I bold'd the part that's confusing. Tests for COVID-19 exist right now and they are being administered. The results reported are nowhere close to 100% positive or even 90% positive so what is the bold'd statement supposed to mean? It doesn't actually jive with reality in terms of how the English language is commonly understood, so perhaps you might want to reformulate that statement for the peanut gallery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 06:53 PM
 
7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I bold'd the part that's confusing. Tests for COVID-19 exist right now and they are being administered. The results reported are nowhere close to 100% positive or even 90% positive so what is the bold'd statement supposed to mean? It doesn't actually jive with reality in terms of how the English language is commonly understood, so perhaps you might want to reformulate that statement for the peanut gallery.
No need to waste your time attempting to critique me or poke holes in whatever I personally say. I am not a medical professional nor a genius and prone to speaking in a hyperbolic manner at times just like anybody. Anybody claiming to be any of those things should be taken with a grain of salt anyway and not as gospel. However from what I can tell, there are credible voices out there that either partially or wholly disagree with the mainstream narrative about what is going on here. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2020, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Metropolis
4,435 posts, read 5,164,801 times
Reputation: 3066
City might be smart to sell some housing projects.
Build a mix of row houses and towers to replace them.

Considering the coming budget crunch selling these properties would net the city so much money, I can’t even fathom. They could spruce up what’s left and give vouchers so people can find apartments in the city, metro, region or wherever they want. They could upgrade a lot of infrastructure and build every transit project desired.

Can anyone here give an idea of what they could get for these properties? I’m guessing 100’s of billions.
1. Smith Houses
2. Rutgers Houses
3. Vladeck Houses
4. Baruch Houses
5. Lillian Wald
6. George Washington Houses
7. Carver Houses
8. King Towers
9. Taft Houses
10. Lincoln Houses
11. Saint Nicholas Houses
12. Manhattanville
13. Judge Lester Patterson
14. Highbridge
15. Sedgwick
16. Ravenswood
17. Astoria
18. Queensbridge
19. Williamsburg
20. Walt Whitman
21. Ingersoll
22. Lafayette Gardens
23. Albany
24. Brownsville
25. Luna Park
26. O’dwyer Gardens
27. Gravesend
28. Douglas
29. Marcy
30. Red Hook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 06:45 AM
 
7,759 posts, read 3,896,204 times
Reputation: 8856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
So basically you described just about every American city that has some sort of shut down currently?
Nope. Charlotte, Dallas, Atlanta re-opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2020, 06:50 AM
 
7,759 posts, read 3,896,204 times
Reputation: 8856
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
There's a middle ground here. Yes, in the short-to-medium term, there will be a more severe downturn than most of the rest of the country. Is it 6 months? A year? Two? Who knows, but it will be something - real estate will take a hit, for sure. But, it will come back. It always does, and people have notoriously short memories. When offices do inevitably fully re-open, and I'm going to concede that it may not be for a while, all of those people who rushed to buy that house on some acreage in CT will be ruing their commute and remembered why the lived in the city in the first place.

Obviously don't have a crystal ball, but some of this feels a bit knee-jerk. There has not been a pandemic like this in 100 years, so no reason to believe that this is a permanent "new normal". It will be a bumpy next 12 months, but I do think this creates a buying opportunity for people that may have been priced out over the last decade. I sincerely hope that some of the native NY'ers can take back the city from the developers and global jet set (and this is coming from a non-native).
A lot of you need to pay attention to medical news and China specifically. This is far from over as long as the US Government and economy is intertwined with the CCP. The wet markets are open again and ready for business. Fresh Bat and Civet stew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2020, 08:22 PM
 
7,376 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Reputation: 16842
https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/york...wamped/788038/

Quote:
With the weather warming up and the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak ongoing, many wealthy New Yorkers are leaving the city to head toward the suburbs.

According to reports, wealthy New York City residents have been moving their money and families into the suburbs as they look to escape COVID-19 and imagine a "new normal" after the virus hit the dense urban city particularly hard, overwhelming hospitals during the height of the pandemic.

In response to the outbreak, many buyers and renters have been leaving the city en masse and flooding the suburbs, where there is more space and less dense crowds. Others are riding out the outbreak at their second homes in the surrounding suburbs.

Experts have said that the recent rash of buyers and renters leaving the city could revive the real estate markets in affluent towns of Westchester County, Long Island and Fairfield County.

“After going through this in the city ... people want a place where, if they have kids, they can get out and do something,” Steven Magnuson, a Douglas Elliman broker in Greenwich said to CNBC . “They can go out for a bike ride, and go for a run or walk and live their daily lives without feeling inundated by their neighbors.

“It seems like everyone wants to leave the city,” he added. “Our problem is not enough inventory for sale. We’ve been on the phone 24/7 and on email.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2020, 10:14 AM
 
46 posts, read 33,657 times
Reputation: 137
Where New Yorkers Moved to Escape Coronavirus
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...g-leaving.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top