Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 08:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Protests? Lol they’re burning brooklyn right now over something that happened 1000 miles away.

God bless the cops fighting the good fight right now. Hopefully lots of “protesters” go home messed up bad after this. If they spill into my neighborhood, punishment will be meted out.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”

― Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from the Birmingham Jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 08:21 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,207,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Protests? Lol they’re burning brooklyn right now over something that happened 1000 miles away.

God bless the cops fighting the good fight right now. Hopefully lots of “protesters” go home messed up bad after this. If they spill into my neighborhood, punishment will be meted out.

Talk about missing the whole point. Wow. Love the internet tough guy on your last sentence though.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
Talk about missing the whole point. Wow. Love the internet tough guy on your last sentence though.
There’s no shot I’d agree with your point anyway. I don’t go out of my way to “get” nonsense.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-30-2020, 12:52 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”

― Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from the Birmingham Jail
Not for nothing, riots are an excellent reason to leave NYC.

I remember Bed-Stuy when it burnt down. I went back in 1988, twenty years later, it still looked like a war zone in a third world country.

What is the point to burning down our own neighborhood? Burning down your neighbor's businesses and homes? What about the poor kids locked down for COVID and now watching their neighborhood burn? It was hard enough to go food shopping with social distancing. How easy is it now that those stores have been looted and burned?

MLK never was pro-violence or pro-burning down cities.

Old 05-30-2020, 01:44 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Bringing this back on home......

Stories of eminent demise of city have been greatly exaggerated.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/not-ev...ait-to-move-in

Yes people are leaving; but many are also coming, and that is how things always have been with New York City.

Tons of people who bailed on city post 9/11/01 ten or so years later were kicking themselves because now they can't afford to return. Especially those who gave up apartments with decent rents, and or sold anywhere in FiDi, Tribeca, SoHo, West and Greenwich Village.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:37 AM

910 posts, read 752,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Bringing this back on home......

Stories of eminent demise of city have been greatly exaggerated.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/not-ev...ait-to-move-in

Yes people are leaving; but many are also coming, and that is how things always have been with New York City.

Tons of people who bailed on city post 9/11/01 ten or so years later were kicking themselves because now they can't afford to return. Especially those who gave up apartments with decent rents, and or sold anywhere in FiDi, Tribeca, SoHo, West and Greenwich Village.
This is key:

"Still, like current New Yorkers, these transplants hold on to hope that the city will rebound. Their dreams depend on it."

"TO THE HOPE". Will the city rebound? We cannot predict far off into the future, but it is definitely clear to me that for a long time, it will not. I "get" the allure it has for these kinds of people mentioned in the article, but the vast majority of people who live in NYC are not gay or from some remote village in Asia with nothing to lose. Much of the middle class in NYC is toast for a very long time.

I don't understand how anybody cannot see that what has made NYC "able to do things", those entertaining things those Midwesterners mention is precisely what the pandemic has destroyed. Nothing will be the same and not in a positive way.

Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 AM

455 posts, read 669,367 times
My daughter and son-and-law are moving out of the City! These two were never going to leave. Within this past week, they leased a car and put a contract on a house in NJ. Even they have had enough.
Fortunate for them they have the option to go somewhere else.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:14 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNSea55 View Post
My daughter and son-and-law are moving out of the City! These two were never going to leave. Within this past week, they leased a car and put a contract on a house in NJ. Even they have had enough.
Fortunate for them they have the option to go somewhere else.
New Jersey may not be much better depending on what they are trying to flee NYC from

Old 06-01-2020, 09:35 AM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
The rioters need to hit suburban strip malls.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
(Big) Cities are done. And it's not just due to rioting. A laundry list of issues from employment options to local politicians have an element saying "Enough."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City