Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,274,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
New Jersey may not be much better depending on what they are trying to flee NYC from
FWIW. Almost all nj protests were peaceful with many having police and govt officials joining in the protests. Given the state’s history of racial riots during the civil rights movement that is saying a whole lot. Nj is one of the most racially and economically diverse states as well as being the most dense state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

231 posts, read 114,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
FWIW. Almost all nj protests were peaceful with many having police and govt officials joining in the protests. Given the state’s history of racial riots during the civil rights movement that is saying a whole lot. Nj is one of the most racially and economically diverse states as well as being the most dense state.
the local professional provocateur operation was in Brooklyn / Lower Manhattan. NJ may be targeted next.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:32 PM

30,705 posts, read 18,349,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Birdsler View Post
the local professional provocateur operation was in Brooklyn / Lower Manhattan. NJ may be targeted next.

Good to hear this about NJ now. And most protests everywhere have been peaceful. Of course, that doesn't take away from the rioting and looting that is going on, which has stained otherwise peaceful protests.

I only hope that NJ isn't next.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:29 PM

7 posts, read 11,261 times
Yeah good reason, sure. The truth is the police use kid gloves with black people usually. If you really dig into the statistics its not an issue at ALL. IF there is any issue, its not race its just police brutality period because a lot more white people get killed by police even though white people commit crime at a far lower rate than black people. For instance black men about 7% of the population commit about 50% of the murders, year over year. Of course they'll have more interactions with police, but even with those increased interactions they are killed less than white suspects.

This is a non-issue.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,624,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
(Big) Cities are done. And it's not just due to rioting. A laundry list of issues from employment options to local politicians have an element saying "Enough."
Maybe in America, but they're fine outside of it. I'm honestly convinced that America has an anti city agenda, and to me it makes no sense because I've always believed that the sum of its parts should equate to its success. Not that I believe that people shouldn't have preference as to where they live, but since the day I stepped foot outside of the country, I've found the city vs suburb thing in terms of importance or whatever to be absolutely ridiculous.

Though I find this thing in general absolutely ridiculous. I've been told on Facebook that this whole thing is for people like me because I'm half black. Really? You looted my neighborhood for me? I don't recall the cops I grew up down the street being bad, nor the ones I've had a pint with at the bar, nor the ones that chased off those crazies that were dumping the flower pots and braking their ceramics in Brooklyn when I was in college, nor the ones that we relied on when I lived in Chicago parking our car by the window of the restaurant and subsequently sitting by said window to watch it so it wouldn't get jacked, tires stolen/slashed, etc. I see videos of the broken storefronts nearby and then my friends saying that they're going to join the protests. WTF?!

I'm getting the f out of this country once my gf graduates and she's 100% with me on this. She's a keeper.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:04 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,247,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprockets View Post
Yeah good reason, sure. The truth is the police use kid gloves with black people usually. If you really dig into the statistics its not an issue at ALL. IF there is any issue, its not race its just police brutality period because a lot more white people get killed by police even though white people commit crime at a far lower rate than black people. For instance black men about 7% of the population commit about 50% of the murders, year over year. Of course they'll have more interactions with police, but even with those increased interactions they are killed less than white suspects.

This is a non-issue.
no facts or logic when talking about racial issues!

you know who get abused significantly less by police than white people? asian people.
what a coincidence it drops by roughly the same amount of violent crime they commit to compared to white people.

cops are often poorly trained power hungry meatheads. the more crimes you commit the more you'll deal with them and the more can go wrong.

that doesn't excuse the cop murdering Floyd,but it doesn't mean it's all because of systematic racism either.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:30 PM

156 posts, read 176,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
We all have a love/hate relationship with this place. The older you get, the more you hate it. Everything that has made this place great in the past is closed, gone, dead. What currently makes nyc stand out? The answer is NOTHING.
100%.. I know the New York cultists can't bear to hear this without being violently triggered, but New York really isn't a special place anymore. I think NYC was a unique city for a couple decades, but that's long been over.. There are a host of other cities that offer a better quality of life than NYC, and they still come with all the fun, big city perks..

Old 06-09-2020, 06:43 PM

181 posts, read 206,670 times
People who think that people need to be discriminated against and treated unfairly definitely need to move to the suburbs and get out of NYC. They make NYC a horrible place to live.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:20 PM

910 posts, read 755,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
100%.. I know the New York cultists can't bear to hear this without being violently triggered, but New York really isn't a special place anymore. I think NYC was a unique city for a couple decades, but that's long been over.. There are a host of other cities that offer a better quality of life than NYC, and they still come with all the fun, big city perks..
TOTALLY AGREE. This city is so overrated and I had been saying since before it shut down, but NOW??? I sure as hell am not sticking around paying NY STATE INCOME PLUS CITY TAX for this garbage society. I'm leaving tomorrow morning and have never been happier to start in a new place where at least I will not have to watch and hear so many lemmings around me brainwashed and triggered by whatever the media tells them. In medieval Europe, the Church did what the media does today> tell you who to hate without thinking about it and repeat religious slogans with a fanatical fervor. George Floyd's death was really really bad, but it is not THE ONLY bad thing in the world nor will it be the last nor was it the first. Nothing can justify killing someone for NON VIOLENT offenses, but Floyd was also no saint and I'm not falling for the group think and the intimidation from the media. Thankfully I do not work for a corporation so I don't give a f if I'd ever be "outed" by social media mobs.

Citylover89: Geez, and here I was thinking that CRIME and incompetent politicians made NYC a horrible place to live. How very sorry that I didn't think before that we should all be just like you! Get a life!

Old 06-09-2020, 09:41 PM

34,132 posts, read 17,194,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
It has retreated in quality the last 6 years, sharply. While other cities have vastly improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City