Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:03 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

What a great response to a long post that addressed your thoughts point by point. Allows you to continue to hold your beliefs and feel superior.

Maybe deep down your “love” of this city comes more from a lack of options than anything else. As I was telling my wife just last night, we have a ton of options, we just need to slow down and make sure we choose the best one. A great problem to have. Especially when every day I continue to remain on the job is adding approximately $7 to my annual pension for life. ;-)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 07:15 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,598,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
What a great response to a long post that addressed your thoughts point by point. Allows you to continue to hold your beliefs and feel superior.

Maybe deep down your “love” of this city comes more from a lack of options than anything else. As I was telling my wife just last night, we have a ton of options, we just need to slow down and make sure we choose the best one. A great problem to have. Especially when every day I continue to remain on the job is adding approximately $7 to my annual pension for life. ;-)
I don't feel superior. I also have options. I own a home and have a job I can transfer to anywhere in the US. It's just my wife who is close to retirement. My daughter is in College and can pick up and go where ever we go. So no, your point of lack of options is false. Your contention that I made my point to feel superior is also false. I say it simply. You and the others who constantly complain and gripe about this City and its inhabitants do so because you think it makes you superior. You think it makes your lives better which is why you gloat or boast about things as if it will make people envy you. You boast and gloat to talk up what you have, and despite having it your still miserable on the inside. And despite years of the same corrosive self damaging behavior you make no effort to change.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:22 AM

Miserable about this place, 100%.

You just can’t fathom that there’s actually people who see the faults of this place and are no longer enamored by it’s fake gleam. This pandemic has exposed its faults bare for the world to see. Deny it all you want, I couldn’t care less.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Miserable about this place, 100%.

You just can’t fathom that there’s actually people who see the faults of this place and are no longer enamored by it’s fake gleam. This pandemic has exposed its faults bare for the world to see. Deny it all you want, I couldn’t care less.
I said I may leave myself. I may leave soon. What I pointed out and what you have not dealt with is the personality trait and pattern of constantly deriding and thinking it obtains something positive for you. It's a long held pattern that you can stop and you will be better off. I may be off to Arizona or Southern California within a year. Deny that if you want I couldn't care less. And if it was not Covid the same thread would have been something else and every week it would be a new one as it has been for years

Last edited by bxlover; 04-23-2020 at 07:42 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
...personality trait and pattern of constantly deriding and thinking it obtains something positive for you.
This quote is a figment of your imagination, plain and simple. I'm here still just as most of our regular posters are. How could I consider myself "better" for only THINKING and TALKING about leaving? That doesn't even make sense. If someone expressed such an attitude to me I'd laugh at them for it.

Whatever opinion you've formed regarding me thinking I'm better than anyone else, it is a construct of your own mind. We all bleed and die the same, something I've witnessed far too many times to think I'm any better than anyone else. All I can control is my own life, and that's all any reasonable person should ever focus on. Doing so has helped me create much to be happy and content with. Concerning myself with others lives is pointless.

Bottom line, you've a long history of mis-interpreting a lot of the things I say. I see posters here who write clearly that they consider themselves better for having left. That's not me. If you're going to make bold statements about people, you need to speak about that person specifically using their words. Descriptors such as, "you guys," "people like you," "them," etc only expose that you've created a persona in your own mind.

I've told you flat out in the past and will again now: we don't think the same. Period. There's nothing wrong with that. Maybe you should learn not to project your assumptions about people, that's likely the solution here.

I'm happy as hell and honest as hell. Whether you believe that or not concerns me no more than they time I spend crafting posts because I enjoy posting here and discharging my duties as a moderator. Eventually I will move and I will request to help mod a different section, and never post here again. Mark my words (even if Staten Island secedes).

Old 04-23-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
This quote is a figment of your imagination, plain and simple. I'm here still just as most of our regular posters are. How could I consider myself "better" for only THINKING and TALKING about leaving? That doesn't even make sense. If someone expressed such an attitude to me I'd laugh at them for it.

Whatever opinion you've formed regarding me thinking I'm better than anyone else, it is a construct of your own mind. We all bleed and die the same, something I've witnessed far too many times to think I'm any better than anyone else. All I can control is my own life, and that's all any reasonable person should ever focus on. Doing so has helped me create much to be happy and content with. Concerning myself with others lives is pointless.

Bottom line, you've a long history of mis-interpreting a lot of the things I say. I see posters here who write clearly that they consider themselves better for having left. That's not me. If you're going to make bold statements about people, you need to speak about that person specifically using their words. Descriptors such as, "you guys," "people like you," "them," etc only expose that you've created a persona in your own mind.

I've told you flat out in the past and will again now: we don't think the same. Period. There's nothing wrong with that. Maybe you should learn not to project your assumptions about people, that's likely the solution here.

I'm happy as hell and honest as hell. Whether you believe that or not concerns me no more than they time I spend crafting posts because I enjoy posting here and discharging my duties as a moderator. Eventually I will move and I will request to help mod a different section, and never post here again. Mark my words (even if Staten Island secedes).
Ok, if you say so. If that all makes you feel better. I believe you. I believe you just as much as you would believe Writer Dude.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:27 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
We flew back to NYC last June after spending time in London, Paris, Barcelona and Madrid. In comparison with these cities, we found NYC to be so dirty, and the people so diverse and second class. LaGuardia Airport was just simply dismal in appearance even though they're trying to upgrade it.

I told my wife, NYC is just a big nasty place, and I have no interest in visiting again. I have no idea how so many people put up with the shortcomings--including back breaking taxation.
For me, it's high pay. For my gf, it's the free college not Excelsior scholarship, though that's probably an option. The virus has killed off the rest of most of what I love about the city for the moment. I can't live somewhere else in this country as I just don't like what most of it offers. I have been strongly debating leaving the country for good though.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:39 AM

606 posts, read 419,615 times
I'm a nurse that left nyc last year. It was a good place to get back on my feet but I can only imagine how much worse my working conditions would have been had O stayed.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Ok, if you say so. If that all makes you feel better. I believe you. I believe you just as much as you would believe Writer Dude.
...and I care as much as I care about anyone’s opinion besides my wife’s and my bosses’: naught.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:06 AM

14 posts, read 8,690 times
Wonder how long it will take before asking prices on condos and coops in the city start to come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City