Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 01:06 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,587,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We’re certainly considering it. My wife wants out bad and I’ve hated this city for a long time.
What do you hate about it?

I want to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM

36,912 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've been to Paris once and I was amazed at the about of dog waste on the sidewalks, I spent the whole time there walking looking down

There are a few neighborhoods in NYC that are notorious for not pooper-scooping, those areas have nothing on Paris
Well, it's pretty delightful for dog waste fanatics though. Different strokes, man.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 PM

18,837 posts, read 13,725,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What do you hate about it?

I want to move there.
The politics, the gun laws, the distance between it and the real outdoors, the proximity which living here requires you to be in with multitudes of other people, the acceptance of degeneracy and over-all filth/decline which gets beat into people as normal, the million little ways which this area pilfers your pockets through fines, fees, tools and regulations... I could continue.

My typical hobbies and interests no longer match up with the reasons others cite as positives to this city. It's just no longer of me or for me except in that my immediate family remains and working 4-5 more years here will likely result in a life long retirement for me beginning well prior to my 50th birthday.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2020, 02:08 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,581,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
So true and accurate. Real estate agents won’t mention this but high end real estate over 2.5 million has been falling in NYC mostly in Brooklyn since 2017. Now it will accelerate downward.
Looking at the homes in Midwood, $1.5M+ for a home is still a bit high.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:47 PM

874 posts, read 448,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post

"You read me very wrong, sorry.

I don't even post in the NJ forum, a state I hunt in regularly. . ."

Quote:
"...There's not a single thing otherwise I can think of that I'd have interest in returning for."

Old 04-23-2020, 03:17 PM

36,912 posts, read 38,826,491 times
What do you all think are the chances that things that were dens and parlor rooms and other such where another tiny bedroom was simply shoved in might disappear and be undone? Will the median square footage of living space per resident end up going up for a while?

Old 04-23-2020, 03:29 PM

13,962 posts, read 13,732,599 times
0.5% population growth for NYC

Old 04-23-2020, 03:52 PM

874 posts, read 448,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

"I've been to Paris once and I was amazed at the about of dog waste on the sidewalks,
I spent the whole time there walking looking down...

There are a few neighborhoods in NYC that are notorious for not pooper-scooping, those areas have nothing on Paris."

Old 04-23-2020, 03:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
As long as there is no cure for the virus, NYC will see negative growth. Most tech jobs are hiring people from around the country for remote work no need to be on site. One of the perks of working for NYC telecommute now is get paid NYC salary and not step foot here and not have to pay NYC taxes.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:01 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,607,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
My dad was a door man/elevator man in a building on central park West. As a kid I would spend summer days on the roof pemthouse apartments, hanging out with the kids whose parents lived up in them central park views were beautiful. Then in college I worked at Cravath Swaine and Moore who had views of it. That is a place to live if you can afford it. I like Toronto a great deal people are nice. I am looking at moving to the South West or Southern California. I have friends there. I have put in for transfers. I love NY though. If people really hate it here they should leave because I wouldn't live somewhere I hate for more money. What good is money if your dead. This experience should be teaching us that. It would be bad living and dying in a city just because you love it. Yet, imagine remaining in a city you could have left but staying for more money and having family or yourself die. Where is the logic ? I love this City warts and all and would return with glee on vacation frequently
I just heard on the radio that a recent study estimated that more than 20% of NYC residents have antibodies already to covid-19. I wondered if your family were found to have antibodies, would you change your plans to leave? Or if you found out the virus was less lethal than you had previously thought? We all live with some risk in our lives and I wonder how you factor risk into your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City