Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 06:00 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
You can bet the governor of NY will raise taxes to try and make up for his own financial
mishandling of taxpayer dollars. Every time that happens jobs disappear anyhow in New York.
Factor in people leaving to less dense states and you have a problem brewing.
Actually as of right now AC is taking heat because he's cutting services/funding instead of raising taxes, especially on the very wealthy. The usual suspects (tax the rich) aren't happy about current status quo, and are taking to media in opinion/editorial letters.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...jxi-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 07:40 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
The remote working thing is an accommodation employers have to make during the shutdown. When it's over, they'll want their employees back on site. Look at how Facebook reeled in its remote workers well before this happened. I bet the companies are seeing big drops in efficiency, productivity, group dynamics. They're going to want to fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
NYC will need transformation fast, the tech workers that was flocking here no longer will. Companies are quickly transitioning to the remote worker revolution that should've started with 911 and Sandy. This will be much more prolong than before. People that are living here just to work 10-20mins from work now are packing up and moving back to their home towns. They no longer need to live here to work, they can live back at their parents or move in with others in a cheaper state while working for their NYC employer.

This will spell doom to the retail and real estate market here. Commercial Office space will be the 1st to feel the down turn. Nobody need WeWork anymore, no need for Seamless web, and say goodbye to Penn Station and Grand Central nightmares.

Remote workers will be the majority of office workers for the next 2 years for sure.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The remote working thing is an accommodation employers have to make during the shutdown. When it's over, they'll want their employees back on site. Look at how Facebook reeled in its remote workers well before this happened. I bet the companies are seeing big drops in efficiency, productivity, group dynamics. They're going to want to fix that.
This is not a 3 month thing, I've personally worked with multiple clients on a long term remote working solution that includes productivity metrics. This is not a short term stint, we are in this for the long haul. I am looking at a minimal of 14-18 months window before remote workers are ok to return to work. Forget the workers, the managers and bosses are all working from other states and far away from NYC. I asked one manager how long do they think this will last and they said next fall the earliest, 2021.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:14 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is not a 3 month thing, I've personally worked with multiple clients on a long term remote working solution that includes productivity metrics. This is not a short term stint, we are in this for the long haul. I am looking at a minimal of 14-18 months window before remote workers are ok to return to work. Forget the workers, the managers and bosses are all working from other states and far away from NYC. I asked one manager how long do they think this will last and they said next fall the earliest, 2021.
And that manager is some sort of barometer for everyone in NYC?

Every industry is different. The tech industry has always favored more or less remote work but some discussions/sessions are best happening face to face, it's all specific to each industry.

Yes, this could go for a while but this could also just be another virus for which we do not have a treatment, e.g. malaria, yet we do not stop going to offices because of malaria, even in tropical zones. Let alone viruses like a flu... long story short, yes it could be around, but I am not sure it would be as you think it would be.

Old 04-29-2020, 08:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

Every industry is different. The tech industry has always favored more or less remote work but some discussions/sessions are best happening face to face, it's all specific to each industry.

Yes, this could go for a while but this could also just be another virus for which we do not have a treatment, e.g. malaria, yet we do not stop going to offices because of malaria, even in tropical zones. Let alone viruses like a flu... long story short, yes it could be around, but I am not sure it would be as you think it would be.
Tech and financial industry were ready to work remotely since 9/11 began and that wasn't a global threat. It was just a 1/4 mi area that was not accessible. Now we have a major city inaccessible for the public for the next 14-18 months at the earliest. It isn't just white collar workers that are not coming back, tourism is dead, international travelers are not coming here or America anytime soon. This is a global pandemic that we are just at the 1st inning, 2 outs and last batter up. We aren't even at the 2nd - 3rd inning yet that's coming up in June. That's when we have the heart of the order and see what the virus infection rate looks like at summer.

Without a vaccine, most of the 40+ year old managers are not coming back to NYC. Many high risk workers gonna remote work until a viable vaccine is proven to work and widely distributed. We're looking at 24 months for this to happen. This is not a personal prediction this from a professional healthcare professional advice that was given to our corporate meeting. Managers are not making decisions on their own personal interest. This is for the safety of all employees and business continuity. There is no rush to get people back in the offices. My clients are not seeing any work nor business disruptions, everyone is settling down and switching playbooks for this new norm.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:43 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

Newsflash: People who do not live in NYC will be edgy going into the NYC virus petri dish far past this summer.

When the economy rebounds as a region (as opposed to city proper), intelligent employers will prominently feature work from home functionality as Standard Operating Procedure, and, in doing so, they will have their pick of the skilled labor pool, over corps stuck in the 1965 mindset, even when the economy recovers.

The old normal is not coming back in this region.

I would also expect the Feds may incentivize wfh for employers via tax incentives, to avoid any risk of future waves.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:10 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They do not even have a vaccine for far older outbreaks.

Social Distancing will be around for a long, long, long time.

Yes and no. At some point people will figure out everything will be okay and disregard the rules. Then you have those whom will be permanently scared and paranoid by this and will never break social distancing.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 PM

396 posts, read 434,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Hey! I'm now wondering because of all this uncertainty and economic upheaval whether De Blasio will pull a Bloomberg and try to extend his term as mayor! How did Bloomberg pull that off when Rudy couldn't? I forget the details...
God, let's pray NOT! Worst mayor of all time. He and his wife need to go, asap! NYC will be fine and back to normal by year's end...with or without the moron.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They do not even have a vaccine for far older outbreaks.

Social Distancing will be around for a long, long, long time.
Hell I've doing it for decades now on accident! Make that 10 feet there stinky!

Old 04-29-2020, 10:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
I wonder how my old cabbie buddies are doing. Luckily they were all independently wealthy like me and just drove taxi for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City