Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 12:32 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times

Advertisements

Im not fond of all this, but I feel like I have settled in personally. Im back at work, spending off time outdoors to exercise, and have enjoyed cooking at home. I mask up and follow all the rules. Its gone on so long it feels normal. I feel this will continue though for society. A few people sick and 2nd or more waves of this and we go back to the protocols. My job (hotels) feels shaky and though I got a new one feel I could get laid off again. After 13 years maybe I should rethink this business I have invested so much time in.

Im just rolling along, hoping for the best for everyone in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 01:52 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I wouldn't count on that free education being around too much longer. I believe that is only funded by taxpayer money, and that's taking a massive hit. Education is usually one of the first things cut in a financial crisis. I say your girlfriend should try and see if she can finish sooner.
Yeah, I was thinking about this the other day. Cuomo has been saying that the state is broke for awhile now on his daily covid calls. I also don't think what the feds are doing is sustainable. I can see funds getting cut.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:04 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I feel this will continue though for society. A few people sick and 2nd or more waves of this and we go back to the protocols.
Not happening. Unless it got to a point where literally everyone got sick or something, they're not going to do this to this kind of lockdown to this extent again once it reopens.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:16 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Not happening. Unless it got to a point where literally everyone got sick or something, they're not going to do this to this kind of lockdown to this extent again once it reopens.
Thats the concern though. Suppose millions who have been cooped up resume life as before. A few infected sends the numbers sky high. I think its possible. I dont want it to be believe me.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:45 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Thats the concern though. Suppose millions who have been cooped up resume life as before. A few infected sends the numbers sky high. I think its possible. I dont want it to be believe me.
Ever hear of the phrase cure is worse than the disease?

This lock down is causing all sorts of socio-economic issues that are only growing each day it continues.

Fredo's big brother's image is already being shattered now that it's coming to light so much of the medical supplies and other health related spending/orders weren't necessary. USN Comfort ship barely saw a handful of patients, ditto for that makeshift hospital a Javitts Center and others scattered around downstate.

Remember both state and city were busted before all this began, now they are bleeding red ink from vast spending coupled with huge reductions in revenue. Parking and meter rules haven't been in affect for > month now, that alone causes a huge hit. Then there is all the tax revenue that isn't coming in because so much is shut down.

On the other side of things people are getting so much *more* money from UI and PUA they aren't going back to work when called. Restaurants and other businesses across the state (especially those that have received SBA PPP money) are finding employees telling them to go pound salt. Why go back to a minimum or slightly above wage job when NYS/Feds are paying you UI plus $600 cash money each week to stay home?

Meanwhile that works for those who have been able to file; thousands still cannot get their claims processed/in order from Cuomo's department of labor. These people were put out of work by Cuomo's orders and told they could get UI etc... Except doing so is like trying to find a virgin at a prison rodeo; nearly impossible.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
The main problem now, how long can NYC sustain itself financially and systematically for the next 6-12 months.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:10 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The main problem now, how long can NYC sustain itself financially and systematically for the next 6-12 months.
2 years at best.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:01 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Well if Sam the Eagle and that Corey Johnson don't stop spending money like it's water, city is going to be in deep trouble. Both seem to be counting on huge infusions of cash from feds (not likely long as DT and Mitch McConnell have anything to say), and or Albany (yeah, like that's going to happen).

We will get some idea when budget is finally hashed out and approved. So far it looks like more of what city always does; rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic...... Delay payments on this, raid that fund, move stuff around.....

What needs to be done is cut out all this free money for social service budgets. That along with shrinking the bloated city worker payroll that BdeB has increased over past seven years. He's created more agencies and positions than there are letters in alphabet to spell. All come with staffs, pensions and other costs.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I wish the small restaurants in my neighborhood, dozens of them, remained open for takeout. But on the UES, they are all COMPLETLEY closed. I am getting sick of meals on wheels and my own boring "cooking for one."

At least I have my gas back on...after 14 months.

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-03-2020 at 08:12 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 10:59 AM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

"Why go back to a minimum or slightly above wage job when NYS/Feds are paying you UI plus $600 cash money each week to stay home?

Meanwhile, that works for those who have been able to file; thousands still cannot get their claims processed/in order from Cuomo's department of labor."

One day you’re at your job – the next day you're told:

"we have to temporarily close, pandemic."

So...BASICALLY…..

In the normal basic (i just know basic) "Meet-the-Unemployment-criteria:"

People who have been working at their jobs for 18+ months; on the payroll/earning paycheck, taxes taken out…etc.

No one asked to be laid-off….

“Why go back to a minimum or
slightly above wage job when NYS/Feds are paying you UI plus $600 cash money each week
to stay home?”

people are not entitled to collect UNemployment anymore when/if asked to come back to their job….

If called back to job – (“ok, laid-off-employee, we’re re-opening next week") – they can’t
continue to collect Unemployment once they go back.... They would be able to claim the
prior week (their LAST unemployed week) ---– but when prompted, they have to press
“went back to work.”

Unemployment will be able to tell – if person continues to claim benefits and their place of
employment had re-opened (and person called BACK to work)..

person will have to re-pay all the claims they put in…………

everyone gets 39 weeks.

...they even gave x-tra weeks --- usually 26.

That extra $600… ends 7/31/20.

Last edited by PruSue; 05-03-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City