Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 11:51 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
No one on here said the dead deserve to die
That's the implication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Newsflash: It's not the mask that's saving people, but people's good diets. Start taking care of your health instead of depending on someone else's mask to do so for you.

Go to the gym, take your vitamin D, and for heavens sake, keep your body weight within a normal range! It's really not that hard! But hey, your body your choice! You wanted that beer and pizza and so well, now you suffer the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 12:02 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
That's the implication.

It's the same as smoking or drinking alcohol. No one deserves to die of cancer or organ failure, but it's the consequence of a personal choice. Saying "it's the consequence" does not mean that it's deserved.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:06 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Then there's people with asthma, people with auto-immune disorders, congenital heart defects, people undergoing cancer treatment, the list goes on and on. People are looking for a reason to justify their actions and declaring that the dead "deserved it" is just that. I sincerely doubt they even believe their own bull**it.
Not a single time have a read a comment here that even remotely implied anyone "deserved" to die of this virus.

What we are saying is that the people with those conditions are the ones who need to stay inside. They are the ones the government should be focusing relief on, and tracking, extra-care, quarantine recommendations, etc. And yes, if your lifestyle choices weren't so smart before this, you will suffer the consequences of it.

We no longer have freedom, period. There's no arguing it. To protect the few, they are restricting the many.

I'm over it. Won't be following or enforcing any of the crap that comes out of Cuomo's or Diblasio's pie holes any longer.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-18-2020, 12:16 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Once the temps hit 85+ degrees that’s it for me. I’m not dying of a heat stroke.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:19 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Not a single time have a read a comment here that even remotely implied anyone "deserved" to die of this virus.

What we are saying is that the people with those conditions are the ones who need to stay inside. They are the ones the government should be focusing relief on, and tracking, extra-care, quarantine recommendations, etc. And yes, if your lifestyle choices weren't so smart before this, you will suffer the consequences of it.

We no longer have freedom, period. There's no arguing it. To protect the few, they are restricting the many.

I'm over it. Won't be following or enforcing any of the crap that comes out of Cuomo's or Diblasio's pie holes any longer.
What you said maybe true for yourself but since it's a choice, many businesses are keeping their doors closed because the workers themselves do not want to be exposed. Such as all of Amazon workers striking because there were no PPEs provided.

NYC businesses won't be able survive opening up just for the locals without tourists and office workers. I think that's the main problem with NYers is they "expect" small shops and businesses will cater to them but that's not the case. Many businesses will remain closed even if DeBlasio is ok with opening up. There won't be the volume they used to have while the costs are still high.

So it's not as simple as opening things up, it's when things are economically viable to do so. I hope you guys are patient enough because it won't be back to normal anytime soon for atleast a good 12 months or so. Even if you went out, there will be lines of people for take out and little choices.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:31 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
What you said maybe true for yourself but since it's a choice, many businesses are keeping their doors closed because the workers themselves do not want to be exposed. Such as all of Amazon workers striking because there were no PPEs provided.
Only people I heard that don't want to resume life are people withe Pre existing conditions. And even some with them still want to resume life.
So its quite simple if your a business worried then don't reopen. If your an employee worried then don't go back to work. Mean while the ones that want to live again, should be able to.

I want to go back to work. I don't wanna just collect unemployment!
I volunteer with the elderly. Now that is sometimes I would not due for their safety, even tough I know they want to see me again.
Let the strong and willing back to living and keep the fail safe and on stay at home.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:36 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

NYC businesses won't be able survive opening up just for the locals without tourists and office workers. I think that's the main problem with NYers is they "expect" small shops and businesses will cater to them but that's not the case. Many businesses will remain closed even if DeBlasio is ok with opening up. There won't be the volume they used to have while the costs are still high.

So it's not as simple as opening things up, it's when things are economically viable to do so. I hope you guys are patient enough because it won't be back to normal anytime soon for atleast a good 12 months or so. Even if you went out, there will be lines of people for take out and little choices.
This may be the case for Manhattan, but not the parts of the city where actual New Yorkers live and work. Staten Island restaurants, bars, gyms, barbers, salons, local stores, etc don’t care about tourists and they need to be opened now.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Quote:

I disagree. As Stormgirl said your body, your choice. You do X and suffer the consequences. Death is the consequence we're trying to avoid.

Do you really think you ever had total freedom? Living in a society we all have obligations -- taxes is the obvious one. There's also traffic laws, vaccinations, fire codes. You can't just decide, well I'm just gonna drive through all the red lights from now on. Well you can, but your license will be suspended. All these restrictions on freedom are trying to minimize the negative impacts of one persons actions (or lack there of) on other people.

I feel like a mask is a reasonable precaution against getting and spreading Covid-19. If someone who doesn't take reasonable precautions gets sick, they put others at risk. When they go to the grocery store, they put the checkout person at risk. If they need to go to the hospital, they put health care workers and other patients at risk too.

Last edited by yodel; 05-18-2020 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-18-2020, 12:53 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Once the temps hit 85+ degrees that’s it for me. I’m not dying of a heat stroke.
If you think masks cause heatstroke, try having COVID and heatstroke at the same time.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:17 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:

Thank you, sir! It is patriots such as yourself that will keep America from destruction. It’s too bad there aren’t many of you, although people are beginning to wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City