Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:20 AM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It was never totally devoid, but during Rudy G's time it was GD cleaned up! It remained that way until sometime around Bloomberg's late second or maybe into his third term.

Riding train one day just began noticing things were back sliding... Not all at once, but little things like the "show time" eegits back on trains. Then came those kids selling candy for school that was highly suspect. Making a return was this big homeless guy in rags that sounded like R2D2 on the 1,2,3 trains..
Cleaned up as in how? No showtime kids? No beggars? No smelly cars? No selling candy for the basketball team? Sure those things were not around during Giuliani - if the only train you took was the Times Square shuttle...

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:30 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,610,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can you please show me this subway system that once was devoid of homeless people?
I remember the Bloomberg era, not so much Guliani:

Back in the 2000s, it was common to have people selling things on the train like candy, sneakers, electronics all sorts of stuff. Some lines through certain communities was almost like a bazaar. I respect the hustle so it didn't bother me. What was absent was begging, it was almost non existent. Around maybe 2015 or so this began to change with the sellers having disappeared completely to be replaced by "Showtime" (which, thankfully is also starting to ebb) and the panhandling. The panhandling has been getting worse with each passing year.

The visibly mentally ill have always been on the trains but just not to this extent. Joining them seem to be just regular homeless as well which wasn't the case before. I can't speak for other posters but the change (decline) is real. If this plan succeeds, which we all know is about doing an end run around the ACLU types who scream over any plan to control homelessness, then I can see a groundswell to keep the system shut overnight to maintain some semblance of order.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I remember the Bloomberg era, not so much Guliani:

Back in the 2000s, it was common to have people selling things on the train like candy, sneakers, electronics all sorts of stuff. Some lines through certain communities was almost like a bazaar. I respect the hustle so it didn't bother me. What was absent was begging, it was almost non existent. Around maybe 2015 or so this began to change with the sellers having disappeared completely to be replaced by "Showtime" (which, thankfully is also starting to ebb) and the panhandling. The panhandling has been getting worse with each passing year.

The visibly mentally ill have always been on the trains but just not to this extent. Joining them seem to be just regular homeless as well which wasn't the case before. I can't speak for other posters but the change (decline) is real. If this plan succeeds, which we all know is about doing an end run around the ACLU types who scream over any plan to control homelessness, then I can see a groundswell to keep the system shut overnight to maintain some semblance of order.
I started riding the train by myself during the Dinkins era.

There was always homeless and I don't think there ever was a time that there was a worse homeless problem than any other time since I first started riding the train. I have seen turds on platforms in the 90s, the 00s, the 10s, and now the 20s. The current issue is exacerbated by the amount of working commuters not taking the trains.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:23 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,600,720 times
Quote:
I started riding the train by myself during the Dinkins era.

There was always homeless and I don't think there ever was a time that there was a worse homeless problem than any other time since I first started riding the train. I have seen turds on platforms in the 90s, the 00s, the 10s, and now the 20s. The current issue is exacerbated by the amount of working commuters not taking the trains.
I disagree. It may depend what train line you are on. But the 2 has been bad with homeless and drug addicts for the last 2 years I'd say. Its well know the last train car on the 2 is where people shoot up and smoke crack. For at least the last year at least, half the cars have had homeless people in the cars on the way to work if I was going in early. Many times it was so gross. I'd take the 2 train a few stops then transfer to the 3 train cause it wasn't as bad.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I disagree. It may depend what train line you are on. But the 2 has been bad with homeless and drug addicts for the last 2 years I'd say. Its well know the last train car on the 2 is where people shoot up and smoke crack. For at least the last year at least, half the cars have had homeless people in the cars on the way to work if I was going in early. Many times it was so gross. I'd take the 2 train a few stops then transfer to the 3 train cause it wasn't as bad.
I remember on the 2 train in the Bronx in the 90s there was a guy who had no legs and begged on a skateboard during the Giuliani era, I'm sure somebody who rode the 2 train back in the day can attest

Did they do a Men in Black on some of you guys? Subway has always had bums. It's never been a "better" or "worse" time.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I remember on the 2 train in the Bronx in the 90s there was a guy who had no legs and begged on a skateboard during the Giuliani era, I'm sure somebody who rode the 2 train back in the day can attest

Did they do a Men in Black on some of you guys? Subway has always had bums. It's never been a "better" or "worse" time.
I was taking the train in the 90's too.
I do recall a man with no legs on a skateboard, but that was either late 90's or early 2000.
There has been better times mid 2000's trains where better. 2010-11 things where better too.
Your a family man who works a 9-5. You may not be taking the train at all different times.
My work hours vary and I often go out. In normal life I'm on the train sometimes 5-6 times a day all different times. Given that, I see more then you do on your trip to and from work.

I'm not sure why you refuse to acknowledge the trains aren't great and there is a problem. Just cause you took the train in the 90s, as did I, and many other posters here. Yes we saw problems then but doesn't mean there isn't an issue now. Your a life long NY-er you should want the train nice for your children who one day will be taking the train alone like you. I will honestly say taking the train in the 90's was more pleasant then now. Or at least on my train line.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I was taking the train in the 90's too.
I do recall a man with no legs on a skateboard, but that was either late 90's or early 2000.
There has been better times mid 2000's trains where better. 2010-11 things where better too.
Your a family man who works a 9-5. You may not be taking the train at all different times.
My work hours vary and I often go out. In normal life I'm on the train sometimes 5-6 times a day all different times. Given that, I see more then you do on your trip to and from work.

I'm not sure why you refuse to acknowledge the trains aren't great and there is a problem. Just cause you took the train in the 90s, as did I, and many other posters here. Yes we saw problems then but doesn't mean there isn't an issue now. Your a life long NY-er you should want the train nice for your children who one day will be taking the train alone like you. I will honestly say taking the train in the 90's was more pleasant then now. Or at least on my train line.
All I'm saying is that the trains have always had a homeless issue and I see no difference between the 90s and today. I don't see a time when it was ever good. To me the subway only exists in 2 eras, before graffiti and after graffiti, all the other issues were always consistent, except for graffiti...

The real smoke and mirrors is that when neighborhoods started getting gentrified, people suddenly had a reason to be on certain trains after a certain time, either because they moved there or were going to a bar there, and this is when you saw a shift in the travelers and maybe thought to yourself hey the train's getting good now....

Old 05-04-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
All I'm saying is that the trains have always had a homeless issue and I see no difference between the 90s and today. I don't see a time when it was ever good. To me the subway only exists in 2 eras, before graffiti and after graffiti, all the other issues were always consistent.

The real smoke and mirrors is that when neighborhoods started getting gentrified, people suddenly had a reason to be on certain trains after a certain time, either because they moved there or were going to a bar there, and this is when you saw a shift in the travelers and maybe thought to yourself hey the train's getting good now....
Nope not for me. I have always traveled all around the 4 boro's on the train And I have always been on the trains either late at night or early in the morning, however you want to put it.
What you see or don't see may be different from what others see or don't see.
And no gentrification didn't make the trains better, the world and times changing plus The politicians and police changing things. More crime, and poverty doesnt make this city better. I've seen it in worse days and in better days. I prefer the better days.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Nope not for me. I have always traveled all around the 4 boro's on the train And I have always been on the trains either late at night or early in the morning, however you want to put it.
What you see or don't see may be different from what others see or don't see.
And no gentrification didn't make the trains better, the world and times changing plus The politicians and police changing things. More crime, and poverty doesnt make this city better. I've seen it in worse days and in better days. I prefer the better days.
If at one time you think the subways were "nice" to ride then that's your opinion

All I'm saying is that the subway has always had a homeless issue. One homeless person on the subway is too much. There should not be a level of tolerance when it comes to people sleeping/lodging overnight on public transportation. So the city has always had this at least for the past 40 years. Where have you been.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
If at one time you think the subways were "nice" to ride then that's your opinion

All I'm saying is that the subway has always had a homeless issue. One homeless person on the subway is too much. There should not be a level of tolerance when it comes to people sleeping/lodging overnight on public transportation. So the city has always had this at least for the past 40 years. Where have you been.
Oh I agree. Its not ok to have any homeless living on the subway. But people become immune to it when they can just walk by or in a different car. Whats really sad is the city can't handle the problem so their solution is to close the subway for a few hours a night. It's not a solution for the homeless population, it's just another band-aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City