Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 11:18 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I don't think someone should be arrested for flexing at a cop. He did not physically threaten a cop by flexing. I'm in agreement with you nonetheless. The office should be removed from his position, and the injured black man must sue the city and state for his injuries and trauma.

Now going forward. NYC has done a poor job of telling groups of people and identities on how to stay home, and how to carry yourself in public during a pandemic. This city gets an F in my book. Remember, not everyone in NYC does not understand the monotone that comes from government officials. Only educated people and those of middle income and upper did a good job at social distancing, staying home, access to wealth, health and working from home. Than you have mixed bag folks who are lower middle class working class who are educated and can keep social distance and practice new public norms. This group of people derseve an A just like the upper class folks. Than you have poor working class to low income who are not so educated and do not procatice guideline from Federal, state and local officials. This group gets an F in my book and our politicians failed them. With that said, what can be done to improve relations with poor black urban folks and the police during the Pandemic?

My thing is this. The police and black thought leaders such as black celebrities, black church leaders, and black social justice activist should work with the police in poor black and brown neighborhoods and get the message out on social distancing on why it's beneficial, especially since black and brown folks have higher Covid cases over whites. The big problem is how do we get black celebrities and black church leaders out of thier mansions and suburban homes into the hood, like wise for black social justice leaders who live in their condos. NYPD should consult with black thought leaders on how to guide many black folks on preventing the spread of Covid-19. If any thing, black people in NYC sure won't listen to the Surgeon General who is a black American, and will probably listen to Trump if he spoke Ebonics.
I think the guy that flexed should've been arrested, if only to get the situation under control. All charges were dropped against the guy. There was another incident that happened on the same night in East New York. While I do not support overly aggressive cops, black and brown folks have to stop thinking that they don't have to follow orders. If a cop tells you to disperse, disperse and move on. I saw the East New York incident. Stop antagonizing the cops and then recording it and complaining about brutality later. If you resist arrest, you are creating a problem for yourself. That still does not give cops the right to beat up on people. Get the situation under control, arrest the parties involved and move on.

https://www.pix11.com/news/coronavir...st-in-brooklyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 11:21 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I think the guy that flexed should've been arrested, if only to get the situation under control. All charges were dropped against the guy. There was another incident that happened on the same night in East New York. While I do not support overly aggressive cops, black and brown folks have to stop thinking that they don't have to follow orders. If a cop tells you to disperse, disperse and move on. I saw the East New York incident. Stop antagonizing the cops and then recording it and complaining about brutality later. If you resist arrest, you are creating a problem for yourself. That still does not give cops the right to beat up on people. Get the situation under control, arrest the parties involved and move on.

Sad thing about black and brown ideology is that those that be should also fear their own people. A good example is in Baltimore last year I think. Watch this guy gets pummpled by a black officer. White supremacy did not do this. (disclaimer) This is just an example, and I don't want to go off topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hip1YYYgTvE

Old 05-05-2020, 11:32 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:

Tensions with the police and covid are high for black and brown people. Remember last month in the Bronx when that black woman was arrested on Fordham road, and some guy came behind for no reason and started punching an NYPD officer in the head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkPJ8XqdoQU

Old 05-05-2020, 11:46 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
I've seen the video several times and I'm disgusted by it as a New Yorker. This was the result of cops supposedly enforcing "social distancing" in a neighborhood of color. Meanwhile, there are a various videos of cops being called on to do the same thing in other neighborhoods, and you don't see people being thrown to the ground or even handcuffed.

So the people in the video below aren't practicing social distancing and are running in front of cop cars putting themselves and cops at risk, and the cops aren't roughing anyone up, nor should they. Issue summonses to the offenders where necessary and move on, regardless of color. I don't think that happened here.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ONMMwJncqP4

If you have the mentality that people of color in poor neighborhoods are "all animals", then you will treat them as such, just as he is. He has a track record of profiling Hispanic people and black people, and just because he is Hispanic doesn't make it ok.
Your video is of a funeral with Jewish people. There was also Jewish patrol cops in it.

The video in question is of an arrest that another person decided to stick his nose in. Like i said, if you see an arrest and are worried about police brutality take the video from a safe distance.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:56 AM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post

"Mr. Garcia looks like a nypd plainclothes officers."

he did.... (look all plainclothes-like)

Old 05-05-2020, 12:05 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:

"Mr. Garcia has a problem with black and brown people given his track record. He's been named in several lawsuits.
So it's ok to go into the hood and aggressively target people of color because they're in the ghetto.

they ("black and brown people") [still] make it that way.... "ghetto."

why yo? why?

Old 05-05-2020, 12:20 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
At some point the NYPD needs to realize that these incidents only hurt their own interest. Yes, every arrest now has swarms of cell phone cameras and wanna be activists at the scene but you have to get over that.

As an aside, I think the department needs to really rethink on what kind of low level interactions are worth it. I knew something like this would happen eventually (LES incident) and I think the commissioner should have pushed back against DeBlasio in terms of what kinds of enforcement are truly benefical.

I used to be a hard core Broken Windows fan, I now think that the danger is that it really does undermine police/community relations. If this was a gun/drug stop then that's one thing but to have all this over a face mask?

Old 05-05-2020, 12:21 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
What's wrong with the video? You clearly see the guy who gets beat up walk UP (few inches) to the officer (Garcia) with his arms out "flexing". Yea, he should be brought to the ground immediately.

I really don't understand why they can't keep themselves out of trouble. Imagine he just minded his own business or yelled his frustrations without getting into his personal space. Some people just live off confrontation.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:49 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
What's wrong with the video? You clearly see the guy who gets beat up walk UP (few inches) to the officer (Garcia) with his arms out "flexing". Yea, he should be brought to the ground immediately.

I really don't understand why they can't keep themselves out of trouble. Imagine he just minded his own business or yelled his frustrations without getting into his personal space. Some people just live off confrontation.
Because if you DON'T Fight the cops and listen to their instructions you are a "Boot Licker" or something stupid. God forbid these folks actually acted like civilized people.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:53 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
How about people just listen to authority when asked to do something???
Cop should be given a medal.
Sure... if it’s a lawful order. I respect the job that police officers do, but I also expect them to do their job in accordance with the law. It’s a difficult job, but the police are not above the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City