Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 01:15 PM

103 posts, read 92,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Bummer!!
Totally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Sorry about your trip to Ireland. Last year, we did a house exchange with folks in a really sweet suburb of Dublin on the very Southside. It would have been really crappy to miss out on that trip, our two sons' first trip to Europe.

Take a deep breath and plot your next trip closer to home for a bit of respite. Good luck!
We were supposed to fly into Dublin and then do a mini road trip across the West coast. It was such a disappointment. Oh well. One day!

I'm definitely going to have to do more local things for a while. I certainly have the vacation time, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 PM

103 posts, read 92,325 times
Quote:
Well not a day trip because the ride is too long, but I like going to Amagansett/Montauk.
Second both these locations.

Would you consider Metro North? I did the first trip on this list last summer: https://www.buzzfeed.com/polandsprin...-without-a-car

Old 05-07-2020, 01:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post

Would you consider Metro North? I did the first trip on this list last summer: https://www.buzzfeed.com/polandsprin...-without-a-car
I'd consider Metro-North, but I'm in Brooklyn so LIRR is easier for me.

Of course, had we built a through-running commuter rail system like a S-Bahn or RER type of system, then Metro-North upstate or going out to NJ would be about equally convenient as well. I've done all, but one of the hikes from that link (haven't done the Lake Skenonto loop)! Thank you though!

Old 05-07-2020, 01:51 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Well not a day trip because the ride is too long, but I like going to Amagansett/Montauk.
I think I posted here last week about my Montauk drive. We left Staten Island at 1300. Stopped in Sayville for a burger, continued to Montauk, then stopped for another burger on the way home in Smithville.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-07-2020, 01:56 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I think I posted here last week about my Montauk drive. We left Staten Island at 1300. Stopped in Sayville for a burger, continued to Montauk, then stopped for another burger on the way home in Smithville.
You did and I am totally jealous. He mentioned the LIRR though so I was thinking he wanted to take the train. So you got there around 1700? I would want to at least go for a walk on the beach. So another 3 hours and get home around 22:00?

Old 05-07-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You did and I am totally jealous. He mentioned the LIRR though so I was thinking he wanted to take the train. So you got there around 1700? I would want to at least go for a walk on the beach. So another 3 hours and get home around 22:00?
Yep, I would definitely prefer taking a train.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:14 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
We got there a little after 1600 and stayed almost 2 hours. We were home with just enough time to watch a movie. The only thing remotely resembling traffic that we hit was some nonsense tow truck parade trying to block the grand central. I went around them all.

I love road trips. Plus we wouldn’t have been able to stop at the burger joints I chose if we used PT.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
We got there a little after 1600 and stayed almost 2 hours. We were home with just enough time to watch a movie. The only thing remotely resembling traffic that we hit was some nonsense tow truck parade trying to block the grand central. I went around them all.

I love road trips. Plus we wouldn’t have been able to stop at the burger joints I chose if we used PT.
No I love road trips, too. I also love trains. Either one sounds like heaven right now.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:

I love road trips, too! I especially love motorcycle trips. I also love bike trips. I also love train trips. I like trips, and there are different kinds of trips out there. I was asking specifically about daytrips using LIRR. Do you have any recommendations for that?

Old 05-07-2020, 03:26 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post

The outer exurbs of New York (especially heading north) has some very charming nature & scenery in my opinion. Possibly a bit underrated & untapped considering that the city itself is one of the most densely populated concrete jungles in this side of the world. The Hamptons seems a bit too socialite driven & overpriced if you're trying to escape actual New Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City