Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 5,992 times

Advertisements

First, i. want to see my options for living on my own. Studio apartment in manhattan would be ideal so i am closer to my family. I net 30k which will reflect in my 1040 form. I work remotely at home so I am self employed. I do have some funds saved in my bank and my credit score is decent - 700s. I am pretty frugal and don't live above my means. i cook at home, I don't really go out, etc.

Can i find a place on my own? will my credential be enough to sway a landlord to take me in? i don't have a typical 9-5 stable income, which is what i'm worried about as i had never rented before.

if not, i do have a second option which is living with my brother. he has a 9/5 and gross 50k. so with our combine income we can find a place for 80k which is 2000/month. however i feel we are restricted with a studio or at most 1 br. We might bang heads and there won't be any privacy bringing a women home or do my own thing. even at our combined income is it even good for a decent apartment?

links would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 02:25 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
$30K is an extremely difficult salary to try to live off in Manhattan on your own. It'd be difficult to do that with a roommate in the cheapest parts of the Bronx. Hell, that'd probably be tough in Newark now.

There's a very remote off-chance that the coming quarters will see rental prices drop significantly in Manhattan, but it's really hard to imagine it would drop off by so much that a $30K salary could provide even a frugal living in Manhattan. I'm sorry to bear this bad news, but I think you're going to really need to adjust them.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-08-2020 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 5,992 times
Hi, thanks for the response? well the average income for new yorkers is what like 50k ? and then net is 40k? i'm basically within the vicinity. and what about my second scenario with my brother?

Old 05-08-2020, 03:03 PM

515 posts, read 525,134 times
Those salaries in NYC are considered "low income" but being that you are single with your 40-50k salary it's something you can work with HOWEVER, only way it work is if you consider other boroughs to live alone, but it still might be difficult to find a lot of options if any under 2k or you can always live with roommates.

But your hope of living in Manhattan for 40k will be very very hard. I wish you all the luck. Finding apartments in NYC is not the least bit fun(at least in my opinion)

Last edited by Mimilove; 05-08-2020 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 03:06 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,667,902 times
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...reality-2019-2

I can't imagine being able to pull off living in Manhattan without multiple roommates on 30k salary.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:11 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apebbleinarock View Post
First, i. want to see my options for living on my own. Studio apartment in manhattan would be ideal so i am closer to my family. I net 30k which will reflect in my 1040 form. I work remotely at home so I am self employed. I do have some funds saved in my bank and my credit score is decent - 700s. I am pretty frugal and don't live above my means. i cook at home, I don't really go out, etc.

Can i find a place on my own? will my credential be enough to sway a landlord to take me in? i don't have a typical 9-5 stable income, which is what i'm worried about as i had never rented before.

if not, i do have a second option which is living with my brother. he has a 9/5 and gross 50k. so with our combine income we can find a place for 80k which is 2000/month. however i feel we are restricted with a studio or at most 1 br. We might bang heads and there won't be any privacy bringing a women home or do my own thing. even at our combined income is it even good for a decent apartment?

links would be nice
Am very sorry to break this news to you, but $30k per year won't even get you a rented room in a busted roach infested hotel or squat. Basically that kind of money isn't even low income but down right poverty far as NYC is concerned.

Even at about $32k per year you're still considered "VERY LOW INCOME" for housing in NYC. There are hundreds if not thousands of people already here on wait lists for such housing.

With that kind of money other than shelters for homeless your other options for housing would be the various public housing (NYCHA), vouchers, and low income "affordable" housing lotteries.

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/5/17/1736...-income-limits

https://affordablehousingonline.com/.../New-York-City

Old 05-08-2020, 03:45 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Yeah...30k was low 30 years ago. Can't imagine how it'll be now.. pandemic or no pandemic.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:47 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Where are you living now?

You work remotely so why live in NYC..

Old 05-08-2020, 03:48 PM

49 posts, read 92,470 times
I make about that amount and I live in Brooklyn. Your best option would be to get a roommate. The cheapest studios are about $1300 and up, and are usually the crappy, non renovated ones in bad neighborhoods. You can get a room from $800 and up, some of them renovated. It sucks having to share a bathroom and kitchen with people, but so many of us have no choice.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:50 PM

450 posts, read 474,476 times
He says he nets 30. Assuming he's extremely frugal and maxing tax advantaged accounts, he grosses 60-70k which is still a poor salary. He'll need roommates, where ever he decides to live. OP, this town is a daycare for the poor and a playground for the rich. You're one of the suckers that fits in between. Welcome to New York and welcome to the club!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City