Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 11:34 AM

18,837 posts, read 13,720,110 times

Advertisements

My wife's company did not provide a stipend or whatever you want to call it. I'm going to discuss the issue with my tax preparer next year.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 01:28 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
My average, Manhattan-based F500 company has (like most everyone else) been WFH since March. Our productivity has actually increased for the duration, which was surprising to me but maybe shouldn't have been. While it's true that there are likely more "personal" errands during the day than an in-office environment, it's also true that traditional work-life barriers, such as a commute, no longer exist and thus many will work later into the evening if their computer/workstation is already "out". Surveys have showed we have the opposite problem from lack of productivity - people are actually burnt out and feel like work has imposed on family time.

All of that said, I'm fairly confident in saying that the final solution will be some hybrid of in-office (say, 2-4 days per week) and continued WFH for the remaining. At least for us, that means that relocation outside of the region is likely off the table, but could encourage people who were on the fence about the suburbs to make the move as the commute for, say, 3 days in more bearable.

For me, I'm actually excited to get back to the office as I miss the face-to-face comradery and the fact that my wife and I share a bedroom office and talk over each other all day (kids are outside bedroom door in living room) our personal WFH setup is just not ideal. For me, going in to the office 3-4 days per week and WFH for 1-2 (with one of those being Friday) sounds just about perfect.
Yes. Similar findings with my company.

Post pandemic we are moving forward with a hybrid model: 2 days wfh. 3 days in office. With the 3 in office days, two of the days are set by your team manager. The third in office day is of your choosing. So for example, I’ll likely have my team’s mandatory days be Tuesday and Wednesday (or Wednesday and Thursday) - which allows us to coordinate for in person team meetings or team building events. A big positive of having time in office is team building but also so much of our socializing happens in person at work (which actually hinders productivity LOL). The third in office day is whatever they want so my guess is we'll see lots of people wfh Monday and Friday but in the office Tues-Thurs.

With that structure, my guess is that people may do one of two things, move further out of nyc to further out suburbs since they only have to commute 3 days a week OR keep a smaller nyc apartment but buy a larger “weekend” home outside of nyc which they live in for 4 days of the week and their nyc place 3 days. The latter sounds excessive but I already know of three couples doing this- one who did this before the pandemic but had a flexible wfh schedule already. The couples that do the part time nyc thing don’t have school aged children though, so that’s a factor.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:43 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,311,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
For those WFH, is the company purchasing equipment for you to use at home? Computers? Monitors? Printers? Printer ink? Are they paying at least a portion of your Internet bill?
No but we were able to take necessary equipment from the office: we all have MacBooks so that’s a given we’d take those but we could also take monitors, wires, powerstrips, headsets, office chairs (lol). We just had to document what we took. Printers and the like are not needed because everything is digital - contracts and all paperwork are eSigned, etc.

Paying for internet is an interesting topic. It was raised early on since many people had to upgrade their internet speeds but the company didn’t pay for it. That said, the company pays for our cell phone bills (always has) but rumor has it that next year when our official hybrid wfh model is officially in place, they may factor in a one time wfh set up cost or something like that.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:45 PM

33,389 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No but we were able to take necessary equipment from the office: we all have MacBooks so that’s a given we’d take those but we could also take monitors, wires, powerstrips, headsets, office chairs (lol). We just had to document what we took. Printers and the like are not needed because everything is digital - contracts and all paperwork are eSigned, etc.

Paying for internet is an interesting topic. It was raised early on since many people had to upgrade their internet speeds but the company didn’t pay for it. That said, the company pays for our cell phone bills (always has) but rumor has it that next year when our official hybrid wfh model is officially in place, they may factor in a one time wfh set up cost or something like that.
As WFH becomes more commonplace, I can't imagine these types of conversations not taking place between staff and management.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-20-2020, 05:44 PM

33,747 posts, read 16,732,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My wife's company has hinted that they are staying home long term, which is awesome because we plan to move within the next year.

She went back, then was sent home again within two weeks and hasn't been to the office since.
With my NYC office, discussion to bring back stopped cold. WFH is working very well for us, and voluntary attrition nosedived, once it began.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:46 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,872,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
People are fed up and will be leaving the city of NY anyone who tells you otherwise is a homeowner or has some invested interest. Nobody with children will put up with eventual sky rocketing taxes with subpar school districts that bus lower income kids in and Real estate prices that have been Stagnant since 2015 . Look at all of the CEO’s of the Real estate companies where are they right now ? CEO of Corcoran she’s in Florida , CEO of Douglass Elliman he is out of the city. Also can’t wait to see who the next Mayor will be Eric Adams? He told all the white people to go back to Ohio and he created 100 Blacks in Law enforcement . Good luck !

https://wpdh.com/nyc-residents-expec...ley-in-droves/
Democrats supporting their own demise! Love it!

Old 11-20-2020, 05:47 PM

33,747 posts, read 16,732,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
For those WFH, is the company purchasing equipment for you to use at home? Computers? Monitors? Printers? Printer ink? Are they paying at least a portion of your Internet bill?
All my stuff is company provided, except internet..which did not change. I always took the highest speed available.,

Old 11-20-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
This is an assumption, not the reality. My company doesn’t make any decisions without the data to back it up (we’re a tech company that works with big data and data analysis so it’s only natural that we’d used data to determine if wfh is working). We created a WFH committee that analyzed all sorts of invasive workday information (amounts of emails sent over time, number of deals closed, numbers of meetings booked, number of client calls, etc). We even conducted time in motion analysis for some teams that tracked their work day activity: how much time you spend on internal emails, external emails, preparing for meetings, etc. An interesting thing we did find is that a significant amount of time is spent on meetings- lots of them internal. This means that if 4-5 hours of your work day is meetings, it leaves you with little time to do actual work which means you may end up working MORE and ultimately will burn out. My company is now doing things like “forcing” days off and intentionally scheduling mid day breaks where you cannot book meetings so people have down time.

So any decrease in productivity, perceived or legitimate, is likely also coming from people working too much and then getting fatigued. They really don’t have time for “all kinds of personal stuff” during the work day. Add to that a raging pandemic that’s now 8 months in and getting worse, people aren’t holding up so well.

NOT to worry, the Dems will save us!! On Day One! Wink! Wink!

Old 11-20-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Europeans are lazier to begin with....

Every company is having different experiences with WFH, which is to be expected. WFH employees are saving money and getting back hours of their lives that were spent commuting. WFH is here to stay, even post-vaccine. The increased violent crime on the subway is another reason to avoid the transit system.
Violent crime? In Democrat-run cities?? NO WAY!!

Old 11-20-2020, 08:49 PM

15,746 posts, read 14,347,755 times
It's not like WFH was just invented to deal with Covid. People and companies were dealing with this before. And companies didn't seem so happ about. Quite famously, Facebook revoked it's WFH policy, and ordered it's workers back into the offices.

Covid has created a huge WFH experiment. How it works out is still undecided. But for now it's the only game in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City