Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 09:45 PM

150 posts, read 87,533 times

Advertisements

So Twitter told all of the NYC employees that they can work home remotely FOREVER If they want to.
I can hear it now from all of the homeowners NYC will be fine it always comes back. NOT from a VIRUS!
Nothing will be the same again this is the end for the housing game in NYC . My Wife is a realtor so believe me I’m not happy about this.
All great empires come to a end sooner or later , NYC time has arrived .

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/n....co/9sNhLhebJZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:57 PM

910 posts, read 753,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
So Twitter told all of the NYC employees that they can work home remotely FOREVER If they want to.
I can hear it now from all of the homeowners NYC will be fine it always comes back. NOT from a VIRUS!
Nothing will be the same again this is the end for the housing game in NYC . My Wife is a realtor so believe me I’m not happy about this.

Yes. Unless a vaccine is developed (and even then, why would people want to go back to commuting, cramped offices, etc when they got used to working from the comfort of their own homes??), this is the new norm and it won't be pretty for NYC. I am now so happy that I never bought any property here...not that I could afford it right now, but even when I had a slight chance at getting a mortgage some time ago, something inside me told me "no, don't do it...you may end up getting fed up with NYC and regretting your debt". Needless to say, I feel vindicated (not happy, but satisfied that I made the right choice).

Old 05-12-2020, 10:07 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
This will be the trend now but in 2 to 3 years people will forget and the housing/commercial market is back. I feel a lot of people will sell (maybe at a loss) and then in a couple of years those same properties are taken and are doubled the price.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:03 PM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post

Agreed. The great benefit of working from home is less sexual harassment claims Ala metoo movement. This is a great thing for most employees to work from home.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:26 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
I'd wager that a good deal will choose to not work from home every day during the week. I don't know about y'all, but I feel hopelessly unproductive at home.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:37 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd wager that a good deal will choose to not work from home every day during the week. I don't know about y'all, but I feel hopelessly unproductive at home.
This.

WFH might be a lot more expanded now, but NYC housing/working offices won't go away entirely.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:41 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Yes. Unless a vaccine is developed (and even then, why would people want to go back to commuting, cramped offices, etc when they got used to working from the comfort of their own homes??), this is the new norm and it won't be pretty for NYC. I am now so happy that I never bought any property here...not that I could afford it right now, but even when I had a slight chance at getting a mortgage some time ago, something inside me told me "no, don't do it...you may end up getting fed up with NYC and regretting your debt". Needless to say, I feel vindicated (not happy, but satisfied that I made the right choice).
Now would be the time to buy, if anything. It won't stay down forever.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:19 AM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
WFH is IMO here to stay in a far expanded way.

That is bad news for many NYC industries.

I suspect restaurant employment suffers (eating lunch out is disproportionately non-residents), transportation employment suffers (fewer train and bus passengers = ultimately, fewer subway and train staff), even fewer retail employees as a large % of their 9-5 sales go away.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:32 AM

565 posts, read 361,864 times
Even with a vaccine, if the virus really came from some random bat in China, there's plenty more where that came from. And plenty of foreign born Chinese living in NYC and not leaving anytime soon.

Old 05-13-2020, 04:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I am not productive at home either. I am glad I have a job to go to regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Now would be the time to buy, if anything. It won't stay down forever.
There is a limited supply on the market, especially housing. Most people aren't budging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City