Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
are people going to stop being in cities? That's for sure not the case.
long term definitely not. People have grown to dislike suburban life and the boredom always draws them back

but short term you're going to have a broke city and broke state neglecting streets, parks, trash collection, cleaning and thousands of unemployed many turning to crime and not being punished. That is on top of the thousands of workers who are now told to work from home who will not be buying drinks at the bar or eating at restaurants resulting in more lost jobs and feeding a vicious circle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I fully expect if offices tried to enforce coming to work in NYC voluntary resignations would skyrocket.
And you don't think that was supposedly the case with 9-11? Lol

Long-term, things will be fine.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:12 AM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And you don't think that was supposedly the case with 9-11? Lol

Happened less after 9-11. Once airspace was secured mainly by Federal Airspace strategies, 9-11 could not repeat.

This is an invisible enemy. There won't be an "all clear". That makes this more of a urban game-changer. WFH is working quite well for most corps. This expedited the move towards it, on a far, far wider, massive scale. For good. I do think corps will want people in offices, but just small percentages each day.

Several public officials have stated they, and industry experts, do not see a "rush hour" at Grand Central again. It takes masses of people to create a "rush".

Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
On the other side, the Spanish fly had 3 waves
Freudian slip? Bill Cosby is that really you...

Old 05-21-2020, 12:03 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Freudian slip? Bill Cosby is that really you...
More like some sort of auto correct but I do think it's hilarious as well! And no, just in case it was not clear, I am not Bill.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
9/11 was a different case, there wasn't any remote workers those days. Since then remote work begun because companies were forced to have disaster recovery. I was working downtown during 9/11 our building was not affected but we could not return to work because of Verizon circuit outage for several weeks. Our company was shutdown for 2 weeks until the repairs were done and we returned to work and it was a damning experience going downtown everyday and seeing the warzone. Company eventually had a DR plan like many and work from home started when we were affected by Hurricane Sandy which flooded the basement and destroyed all power and data connections. We were fortunate this time that we had our DR plan fully working and everybody worked from home during Sandy for 2 months. My manager at the time lived in Battery park and had power to the apt for 6 months and worked out of extended hotel stay.

Today, almost every company midsize and bigger have remote working capability fully operational. When this thing came, we were already planning for it in February and travel restrictions sent out company wide. The order to work from home came the first week of March and company is fully working from remote.

I've spoke with many folks and a lot of them are not coming back to NYC anymore as they will let their rents expire and move elsewhere. I expect NYC to have a lot of vacancies.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:07 PM

34,046 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Today, almost every company midsize and bigger have remote working capability fully operational. When this thing came, we were already planning for it in February and travel restrictions sent out company wide. The order to work from home came the first week of March and company is fully working from remote.

I've spoke with many folks and a lot of them are not coming back to NYC anymore as they will let their rents expire and move elsewhere. I expect NYC to have a lot of vacancies.
Our wfh % will stay quite high , at minimum, all of 2020.

It is 95+% the last 8 weeks.

I know many of our customers and suppliers are experiencing the same massive shift.

We will never resume our pre covid work in office %, or even half of it, again.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:15 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Dun, dun, dun!

https://nypost.com/2020/05/21/zucker...e-for-a-price/

Old 05-21-2020, 05:45 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,126,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
As long as Zuckerberg can save a dime and be happy, I'm happy.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:58 PM

106 posts, read 263,316 times
This is a worst case scenario. In reality every major city would fail if WFH became permanent. To mitigate this companies should pay based on location so they wont be giving out nyc, bay area, la salaries to ppl who live in the middle of no where or the south. Zuckerberg is already a head of the game i see. It truly doesnt make sense for the economy to be paying a high price to ppl who dont live within the means of the location, it creates a ripple effect when you do this, for example there is a reason why certain cities have the entertainment it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City