Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:37 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

People need to be mindful of what they wish for, because it just might come true.

If a company allows large portions of workforce to do so at home, then they don't need to hire local talent either. Twitter or anyone else can hire someone from Paris, France or Paris, Texas, it literally no longer matters long as they can do the job, and if it does not require much or any face time.

If this thing takes hold in a big way sooner or later it will affect those nice white collar middle class compensation packages. Again a company can look for talent anywhere in USA or globally, not just NYC or other HCL areas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel...heres-a-catch/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 11:51 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
I was actually told to prepare to make my home my permanent office. I'm also in IT. My company is thinking about ending the lease to the building where my workstation is located.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:27 PM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
People need to be mindful of what they wish for, because it just might come true.

If a company allows large portions of workforce to do so at home, then they don't need to hire local talent either. Twitter or anyone else can hire someone from Paris, France or Paris, Texas, it literally no longer matters long as they can do the job, and if it does not require much or any face time.

If this thing takes hold in a big way sooner or later it will affect those nice white collar middle class compensation packages. Again a company can look for talent anywhere in USA or globally, not just NYC or other HCL areas.

Yup! Unless you can offer something ABSOLUTELY UNIQUE in terms of talents in problem solving, sciences, Math or the like, companies will quickly catch on to the fact that talent is not limited to a specific area if we no longer have mobility. You can meet talented and intelligent people anywhere and they do not all charge NYC prices/salaries. If this catches on, the world will become a lot more equal sooner. Then we shall see if those "White collar" types who talk so much about diversity and inclusion and open borders, put their money where their mouth is. When Mohammed in Islamabad gets hired for their tech gig at a fraction of the salary, well no, they'll still somehow blame Trump and "White racist males".

Why should I hire an expensive NYC based web designer, when Juan in Colombia will do it for much much cheaper online and at a joke of a price in comparison??

Old 05-14-2020, 12:32 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Case in point; if anyone bothered calling their bank or any other customer service recently you may have noticed large numbers are working from home. Places shut down their central call centers out of covid-19 fears and allowed people to work remotely as it were.

Believe me when I say people like Jamie Dimon and others are keenly looking at working from home models. Not that they weren't before, but this pandemic has brought a new urgency.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:36 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Ppl can look at WFH options all they want

I want to see how the companies are going to break their leases on their office spaces.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-14-2020, 12:47 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ppl can look at WFH options all they want

I want to see how the companies are going to break their leases on their office spaces.
The same way as Wework will.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:54 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
You are wrong and your personal attack was uncalled for. I and 100's like me have been doing WFH for decades as employees, in-sourcing, employers and contractors. Not one of anyone I know in my field has taken a pay cut. Your comment "google it" is pathetic as I'm not going to do it and if you decide to cherry pick articles for me to read I'll just mark them as "tl;dr". Nearly everyone who knows me on CD, knows that I'm a telecommuter when I'm in the US and mostly a telecommuter when I'm in my office in Dubai when my clients want me there to do hand holding.

For those in NYC who are entering WFH, they are gaining from not having to pay transportation costs and eating out during lunch hours. But they are losing as now they have to shop more and the prices of food has increased. Plus since there are now many more people using the internet they will most likely need to increase their internet speed so that will cost them something. And let's not forget utility usage at home will increase, thus there is additional costs related to that. All the other expenses are pretty much fixed as they aren't going to go down. Thus 2020 WFH means nothing compared to pre-2020 WFH.

As to many workers who were willing to take pay cuts if they could work from home (in the US), well guess what they haven't been getting much of pay increases over the past 30ish years.
Personal attack ...really. ...show me where ......telling you that anecdotal experiences are not enough to draw conclusions from is not a personal attack in any shape or form, it is fact.

My anecdotal experience is the opposite as the company I worked for does not pay the same if you decide to work from home .

But survey after survey does show that employees overwhelmingly will take less for working from home and employers will capitalize on that fact

Old 05-14-2020, 01:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:

The depends the type of jobs, WFH benefits companies in the long run. It makes outsourcing their workers easier. I've worked at many companies as IT security consultant and auditor. I've been at companies that have a 70% remote workforce and I was in charge of auditing workers productivity and security practices. Hiring and firing has never been easier remote than in person. Probably in a given month 3-4 people are terminated due to not meeting expectations after I produce reports that showed workers that aren't working.

As for pay, it varies based on demand. You know people that lived as far as all corners of the country making the same pay as people in NYC if it's a niche job.

Places like Amazon always had 100% WFH for tech workers.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:32 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Or even in the US. They can ship all the tech jobs to India.

Oh, wait, they tried that. It didn't work so well.

Quote:

Old 05-14-2020, 01:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Yup! Unless you can offer something ABSOLUTELY UNIQUE in terms of talents in problem solving, sciences, Math or the like, companies will quickly catch on to the fact that talent is not limited to a specific area if we no longer have mobility. You can meet talented and intelligent people anywhere and they do not all charge NYC prices/salaries. If this catches on, the world will become a lot more equal sooner. Then we shall see if those "White collar" types who talk so much about diversity and inclusion and open borders, put their money where their mouth is. When Mohammed in Islamabad gets hired for their tech gig at a fraction of the salary, well no, they'll still somehow blame Trump and "White racist males".

Why should I hire an expensive NYC based web designer, when Juan in Colombia will do it for much much cheaper online and at a joke of a price in comparison??
As I've previously stated, WFH has existed for decades. For whatever reason people have thought that all outsourcing was in some building outside of the US, when in fact the 100's of people I know do it from a home office or sitting in a park on their laptop.

The reason I put these two comments together is to state it's inaccurate to state all people can be replaced by "Mohammed in Islamabad gets hired for their tech gig at a fraction of the salary" as it's false and as personal history has shown the following comment is also incorrect "it will affect those nice white collar middle class compensation packages".

For IT, much of the best talent comes from the US, Russia and Israel. Those who took the time to continue learning in their fields and excel have similar 6 figure incomes. But one also has to keep in mind there are those who only did it for the degrees, titles and were pretty much "C" students are not going to excel into the field by them taking a position at a lower wage. As a US citizen, educated in the US who works only internationally making a NYC income who hasn't lived in NYC in over 30 years companies will still be paying for educated talent who doesn't need hand holding to do their jobs.

Asia and the Middle East are good for low level white collar positions, but a large chunk of their white collar force who are US educated went there for the title it would give them and didn't learn much of anything to be competitive. Keep in mind that I work in the Middle East and if these Arabs actually took the time to learn their fields I wouldn't be there and neither would all these other foreigners be there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City