Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well the delivery guy also has deal with parking their van perhaps illegally in order to do so and if there is a thunderstorm like predicted later on today that isn't the best option to take cardboard boxes up to a block or so in the rain.
Well, that's been an ongoing issue well before the pandemic. I think the simplest way to deal with this is creating more loading areas and clearly demarcating them and doing a good job of enforcing such and really drilling down on double parking. To me, the easiest way to do it is to expand the no long-term parking areas in front of bus stops and on both sides of fire hydrants as those naturally create a large buffer zone for faster ingress and egress and also naturally allows having spaces on every block (fire hydrants) and more spaces on heavily commercially trafficked areas (streets where buses operate). Opening up more loading spaces for delivery and livery services is the carrot while really cracking down on double parking is the stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think the majority of these are major bus thoroughfares. I'm actually not sure if any of these are bus thoroughfares.
You didn't notice that they've taken part of Broadway out of circulation?

Old 05-28-2020, 04:48 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I think some open streets are being shared between local car traffic as well as pedestrians especially in an areas where there is a lot of street parking with suspended alternate side parking at the moment.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:10 PM

About a month into this, and I've got to say, this has been much more pleasant and less of a cluster**** than I expected. The open streets around me in Brooklyn are very well-used by families with kids especially. I honestly would be glad to see these become permanent even after the pandemic is well over. It's been great! Of course, I'm also not sure how much of this I'm conflating with my delight over summer starting with lots of birds chirping.

How's it been in your neighborhood if you live with one within short walking distance? I've heard both within this thread and from a friend that the 34th Street one in Jackson Heights is fantastic as it's quite long and the area really could do with more public space.

Anyhow, here's a listing of more of them: https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/p...nstreets.shtml

Old 06-15-2020, 07:35 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
this is a ridicoulos idea, we have parks for open space.
what a bunch of retards we have running our city, freaking retards.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
this is a ridicoulos idea, we have parks for open space.
what a bunch of retards we have running our city, freaking retards.
Have you been to one? How is it in your neighborhood?

In our area, it seems pretty well-appreciated. It’s also still being used for getting to things but via bike or walking and it’s sort of like walking a nice boulevard or pedestrian mall. Granted, I don’t know how they’re implemented in other parts of city.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:06 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
The one I have seen doesn't seem to be used that much although it seems to have reduced non-local traffic in the area.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:

In our area, it seems pretty well-appreciated. It’s also still being used for getting to things but via bike or walking and it’s sort of like walking a nice boulevard or pedestrian mall. Granted, I don’t know how they’re implemented in other parts of city.
Ours is small and not used very often. Seems hit or miss. I'm sure if you live on one of the blocks and have to come and go regularly by vehicle it's not as pleasant.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:

No, my neighborhood doesn't have any of them, and our park, Bensonhurst Park is under construction so only a part of it is open and the people stay in that part, no problems.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:

No, my neighborhood doesn't have any of them, and our park, Bensonhurst Park is under construction so only a part of it is open and the people stay in that part, no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City