Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 04:43 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH718 View Post
Thank you for this detailed post!

I always wondered why the Poconos is so much cheaper than other places in NY/NJ, etc.
I've seen some really nice places listed online in the under 200K range, but I'm not sure if its just because it is more rural over there, or for other reasons.

Did you find traffic to be really bad when driving at a normal time (such as Sunday afternoon/evening, or Friday evening to head up there?)
Well for one thing, the Poconos area (PA) lacks rail access to NYC. Not that folks are clamoring to ride trains these days or anything. Speaking more about normal times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 04:52 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Well for one thing, the Poconos area (PA) lacks rail access to NYC. Not that folks are clamoring to ride trains these days or anything. Speaking more about normal times.
You still need a car to get around to do anything ...there is no mass transit..even Uber is rare

Old 05-17-2020, 04:55 PM

712 posts, read 542,637 times
How about Connecticut shore line east of New Haven?
New Haven county, middlesex county, New London county towns along shore line are still cheap on house prices and has been popular second home market for NYers or retirees. Name a few town names: Branford, Guilford, Madison, Old Saybrook, Old Lyme, New London, Essex, Mystic, etc.

Rail access: Shore Line East from New London to New Haven, and Metro North from New Haven to GCT.

South part of towns are near water on Long Island sound ocean, northern part of many towns are mountain rural areas. New Haven is home of Yale University with Medical schools and hospitals.

Good for 2nd home buyers, or occasional commuters to NYC, cheaper houses compared to fairfield county CT, and waters oceans and mountains, too far away for daily commuters, but certainly great for new work from home buyers or 2nd home buyers.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:59 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
I've known people who commuted daily from the Poconos into the city to work. The pipe dream was a single seat rail link. Hasn't happened, likely never will.

I have a friend who, at the depth of the 2008 recession bought a couple of houses in the Poconos for investment. I don't think he ever made money on them. I think he sold one, and still has one, which is sitting empty. He offered it to me to use as a bug out location for Covid.

When he looked at them I drove out with him. One think I noted in looking at them is some of the ones we looked at had signs of gang activity. For city people the Poconos sound like a safe, pastoral getaway. But they seem to have has some crime problems of their own. I don't know if they still do, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:

Old 05-17-2020, 05:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I have friends in LES who go to their home in Pennsylvania every single weekend. I don't know the name of the town but they told me it's very close to Callicoon, NY. They love it and I've never heard them complain about anything, but unfortunately I don't have any additional details. I think it's probably more like 2.5 hours drive and not 2 but never really asked them.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've known people who commuted daily from the Poconos into the city to work. The pipe dream was a single seat rail link. Hasn't happened, likely never will.

I have a friend who, at the depth of the 2008 recession bought a couple of houses in the Poconos for investment. I don't think he ever made money on them. I think he sold one, and still has one, which is sitting empty. He offered it to me to use as a bug out location for Covid.

When he looked at them I drove out with him. One think I noted in looking at them is some of the ones we looked at had signs of gang activity. For city people the Poconos sound like a safe, pastoral getaway. But they seem to have has some crime problems of their own. I don't know if they still do, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Monroe country is very different than all the other counties...Monroe got all the transplants when newspapers here had a whole section devoted to the poconos ,why rent when you can buy .

Now they have huge taxes , gangs ,drugs and crime ......you could not give me a house free in monroe. That is the pocono area off route 80.... we were off route 84 .....

In my opinion i would not buy below route 84

Old 05-17-2020, 08:00 PM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Yeah, he's well below 84. Down hy 80 near Stroudsburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Monroe country is very different than all the other counties...Monroe got all the transplants when newspapers here had a whole section devoted to the poconos ,why rent when you can buy .

Now they have huge taxes , gangs ,drugs and crime ......you could not give me a house free in monroe. That is the pocono area off route 80.... we were off route 84 .....

In my opinion i would not buy below route 84

Old 05-18-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
You still need a car to get around to do anything ...there is no mass transit..even Uber is rare
Right. Some of the other areas mentioned can at least be reached via rail unlike the Poconos. Some may have a bit better Uber coverage as well.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

Exactly. There's a reason why the affluent folks of Manhattan are looking to the Hamptons & even the Hudson Valley and Jersey Shore over areas such as the Poconos as exurban getaways during COVID-19.

Primary residential sales / rental inquiries have skyrocketed in areas such as Westchester County NY & Fairfield County CT for fleeing Manhattan families as well.

I've heard rappers on rap songs literally mention lines such as "Allentown was trappin town". For you sheltered folk out there, trapping is a euphemism for drug dealing.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Right. Some of the other areas mentioned can at least be reached via rail unlike the Poconos. Some may have a bit better Uber coverage as well.
the Poconos are economically depressed ... there are few business's that are not low paying mom and pop or chains ..there is little industry to speak of ..

when wall street west was looking at the poconos , it lacked all infrastructure for larger business .

there were no suitable buildings , the sewer and electricity distribution systems were to small , business's that support other business was lacking ...a lot of thwe area is forever wild and lots of processes can't be done .

in fact most roads are one lane ... all your employees could be late if grandma went out driving to the store .

once tanglwood ski area closed up the whole area near us was effected including all home values
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City