Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 11:22 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

If we Reopen in the summer but a second COVID wave starts in the fall what would you do if you were Governor?

Obviously some people would support a new lockdown
> but others would not

I would also like to know, if a second wave occurs and you if were Governor and you would not support a new lockdown would you do anything else to stop it or just "let 'er rip" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 12:15 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
I would not have another lockdown unless the numbers were out of control

Old 05-19-2020, 01:19 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
First, make sure there are enough PPE for all health and medical field people before another outbreak. By that, I mean someone has to keep track of it on a daily basis, and some kind of reporting should be in place, and a threshold should also be implemented, so it should be replenish once is below certain threshold.

Second, keep track of a list of past patients and current patients with Covid, and this information should be readily available any given moment. This will help to pinpoint where the next outbreak might be. Information between all hospitals should be share across board. It doesn’t matter if is private or public, everyone must follow one format set by state, and all reporting should be consistent.

Third, have a team of troops on ground ready for deployment at any given moment for the purpose of notifying communities with new cases and possible outbreak.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:29 PM

41 posts, read 22,531 times
The problem here relative to other places is that things can reignite so quickly. Left unchecked, you'll have it running rampant again through the trains.

But they have to open things up to some extent, and I don't think they'll get a lot of compliance if daily cases were to expand to roughly what they are now. Speaking for myself, I'd look to change cities if it lingers too long. You need to be able to get out and do things here, or it's just too expensive and too much trouble otherwise.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:32 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldTheGnome View Post
The problem here relative to other places is that things can reignite so quickly. Left unchecked, you'll have it running rampant again through the trains.

But they have to open things up to some extent, and I don't think they'll get a lot of compliance if daily cases were to expand to roughly what they are now. Speaking for myself, I'd look to change cities if it lingers too long. You need to be able to get out and do things here, or it's just too expensive and too much trouble otherwise.
what is your time frame

and if you went to a new city to live which are top on your list?

It has been estimated that people from New may have brought the virus to Florida and other states. How likely do you think it could get bad to the pint that people are not allowed to leave?

Old 05-19-2020, 04:22 PM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post

"what is your time frame and if you went to a new city to live which are top on your list?

It has been estimated that people from New may have brought the virus to Florida and other
states. How likely do you think it could get bad to the pint that people are not allowed to
leave?

...and you ? how do you feel about it?

2nd wave...

stay open?

close?

what should be done then if numbers go into the hundreds & hundreds EVERYDAY like in march/april?

Old 05-19-2020, 09:04 PM

41 posts, read 22,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
what is your time frame

and if you went to a new city to live which are top on your list?

It has been estimated that people from New may have brought the virus to Florida and other states. How likely do you think it could get bad to the pint that people are not allowed to leave?
TBH, I'd go wherever I could get the best job. I have a partner but no kids, so we have a bit more flexibility in some ways. Realistically, Chicago/Boston/DC/Houston.

We all have a Constitutional right to travel, so I don't think we need to worry too much about being trapped in the city. But I take your point and realize there could be a terrible stigma if the fall gets really bad again.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:21 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
I think they just have to let people assume the risk. Recently, something like 70% of the new corona cases were people who were at home. So what does that say? The lockdowns are useless. Let the healthy go on to work and whomever feels really at risk or the ones truly at risk should stay home, if they so choose. We can't keep turning the economy on and off, that's going to cause too much frustration and anger. Personally, I also think the second wave won't be as bad as the first but of course mainstream media in conjunction with Cuomo and DeLOusy'O will do everything to hyperbolize this virus.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Very Simple, do what they should have done the first time.

- Masks for everyone, at work, at school, etc.
- Mandate the eldery, at risk people, pre-existing condition folks all stay home
- If you are , say under 65 and healthy you can still go to work
- Social distancing on public transport and other public places
- No need to close any businesses as long as social distancing, hand sanitizer, masks, are all being used and provided
- Regular cleaning of all surfaces...etc

But the "Second wave" will not be bad. We will have "tracers" in place and many medicines in place by the fall which will help curb infections. Also, hopefully, vaccine soon after.

I'm not worried.

Fun Fact, did you know that the CDC and the Federal Gov't never mandated "Stay at home" orders? That was only local Governors and Mayors. The feds only mandated "Social Distancing and Masks". Even Fauci never mentioned forcing people to stay home and close businesses, it was mostly politicians who just all started following each others lead. It all got out of hand really fast.

There is no science to making healthy and low risk people stay home to prevent the spreading of a virus, none. It was all guessing.

In the past only SICK people were quarantined. This is the first time in HISTORY that healthy people were told to stay home. And as data shows, it looks like it didn't work. In fact, may have made things worse.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:59 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Nursing Care Facilities were overlooked by politicians.
A great error on their part.
Nursing Homes have always been a breeding ground
for diseases. Last one was SARS.............now COVID.
Implement the utmost sanitary rules for anyone entering or leaving.
Everybody form Doctors to visitors.
Attach decontamination bunkers in front of every entrance.
You are clean coming in to treat and visit the occupants.
You are clean leaving the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: