Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:14 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,893 times

Advertisements

The fear will send it further into a depression. The word has spread that nyc is the epicenter of the pandemic due to its high population density. The fear of sickness will keep people away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
I think some here dont understand the concept of globalism that the 1%rs understand very well. they are the ones that exported the jobs so as to save on labor cost and environmental law costs. Meaning if one part of their extended supply chain fails, they are screwed.

Unless very badly managed by some wannabe dictator, countries around the world pretty much share an economic destiny. A large city in a particular country even more so. Though any city dependent on a single industry <cough>Detroit<cough> can fail if that industry fails.

This idea that every individual is an island and in complete control of his own destiny and only responsible to himself, is pure fantasy.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:02 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I can see commercial real estate taking a hit, more employers will allow working from home in the future but aside from that I don't see any long term repercussions for NYC. People predicted the airline industry would collapse after 9/11, people would never fly again, how'd that prediction turn out?

9-11 was easier to fix, as it simply required controlling the air traffic again , via stronger intelligence and stronger airport security.

It was a horrible attack, but like Pearl Harbor, a one trick pony, Thank God, for the US mainland.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebb View Post
I can see NYC going into a severe long term depression . This article in the Hill might be someone’s opinion, but all great Empires eventually fall and NYC has had a wonderful run . I won’t be taking the subway ever again will you? I am getting fed up with everyone complaining about taxing the rich. The rich are leaving and who will pay for the poor ? I guess homeowners or whoever will get stuck with a massive bill.
I can also see our Country only getting worse and it probably starts right here at home (NYC) with this sanctuary city nonsense . Free health care to illegals free college to illegals. What about the working stiff ?
Illegal Immigration/ Jobs/ debt / resources are some of the problems going forward for the USA .
Sure, I'll eventually take the subway again, and so will most people. It makes me think of all the times that people get pushed onto subway tracks. I think people stay away from the edge for a while, but eventually they move back and then - wham! - someone gets pushed onto the tracks again.

People will move away, and people will move in. The whole country will probably experience a Great Depression again, and in general the thinking is toward taxing the rich sooner or later - I hope.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:32 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

Hang onto your hats.
This is going to be one wild ride.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:32 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Pretty damn unlikely and would be a hit to the US overall if they let their big golden goose eat ****.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:02 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Our Governor and Mayor, are idiots. People are just gonna go to other places and give their money to them while NYC goes deeper into depression. Beaches are opening in other states, Vegas opens up next week. Flights are offering deals. ....And NYC is still keeping us locked up and ruining businesses and peoples lives.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM

565 posts, read 361,864 times
A wise senior executive manager once told me something when I was an eager, young executive starting out in the world of corporate America back in the mid 90s. And it stuck with me every step of my career and life.

"What you think is your greatest strength may also be your greatest weakness"

Now, I have no idea who he stole this from but it's true. As for NYC, what made it great (it's density, urban attraction) will be it's demise if/when more viruses come to our shores. And they will. Bats are still flying around in China...and Chinese are still going to be coming to NYC.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:07 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Our Governor and Mayor, are idiots. People are just gonna go to other places and give their money to them while NYC goes deeper into depression. Beaches are opening in other states, Vegas opens up next week. Flights are offering deals. ....And NYC is still keeping us locked up and ruining businesses and peoples lives.
So you think NYC should be treated exactly the same as other places?

Vegas is either going to be a ghost town or a complete disaster if tons of people show up

Old 05-28-2020, 01:20 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
If the economy of the U.S. recovers in some places there may be a demand for top cultural venues like Broadway, galleries, concert halls and designer shops etc.

If there is a demand for this and most of the economy were to recover but New York is worse shape where is all that cultural stuff going to move to? Same thing with the top restaurants.

Unless these types of things are dependent on density and many just won't exists anymore or be more spread out so that you could not longer say that one place is cultural center of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: