Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I would be willing to bet entitled legacy hires are more of a behavioral problem for the NYPD than “diversity” hires.
You’d be very wrong as evidenced by the disciplinary records but when have facts ever mattered when talking about the police or racial issues?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 06:14 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
I would be willing to bet entitled legacy hires are more of a behavioral problem for the NYPD than “diversity” hires.
Well, if there's a public database of disciplinary actions, then we can probably do some data analysis on disciplinary actions cross-referenced with gender and race. The hard part would be digging out if people are related to other people in the NYPD which is what I assume you mean by legacy hires though let me know if I'm wrong.

One route is to go by name. For example, let's assume there is access to a database of disciplinary records and it lists names. Valva as a last name is of Italian origin so a NYPD office named Michael Valva is probably of Italian origin, and the US census and vast majority of Americans now consider Italians to be white, and male as Michael is usually male. Put that together and Michael Valva is probably a white male. You'd think that in order to keep track of "diversity" the department probably has gender and race explicitly listed somewhere which is probably especially necessary for race since a lot of AA's inherited names from an ancestor who took on a slaveowner's name and there are also a good deal of mixed-race individuals in NYC, but it's uncertain if there's public access to such.

Then if you wanted to see if Michael Valva was related to anyone on the force, well, there's the very imperfect looking for same last names. Perhaps there's a referral system?

There's also the matter of whether trespasses that involved disciplinary actions should all be weighted the same. Shoplifting should not be excusable at all and someone caught shoplifting I'd think would have done it multiple times before getting caught. However, it takes a lot of shoplifting for me to feel like that's equivalent to beating, starving, and leaving out in the cold one's own son to the point of having him die and then lie about what happened as in the case of Michael Valva so you'd think that there'd be a weighting factor or a delineation of crimes between the petty and the more severe.

Is there public access to NYPD disciplinary records?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-27-2020 at 06:28 AM..

Old 05-27-2020, 08:42 AM

383 posts, read 173,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This one really makes no sense to me. Wouldn't they know what a terrible idea this is? And with so many people out of work, why does someone who actually HAS a good job think it's ok to steal? This presumably puts her entire job in jeopardy, or maybe she just gets off with a slap on the wrist.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/26/nypd-c...d-without-pay/

I know no one can really answer these questions but this is what crossed my mind when I read the article.
Believing cops are model citizens is living in a fairy tale.
Cops are exactly like any other human beings, some have moral standards, some less, some not at all. They just happen to be cops and not cashiers at walgreens, or executive assistants at a HR company. Matter of fact too many know the loopholes and how to get away with murder (no pun intended).

Old 05-27-2020, 10:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
why does someone who actually HAS a good job think it's ok to steal?

Because they are COPS and entitled to steal.

Old 05-27-2020, 10:23 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You’d be very wrong as evidenced by the disciplinary records but when have facts ever mattered when talking about the police or racial issues?
This is from an article from the New York Post (a paper with a hard on for the police and a conservative bias) regarding the proposed “re-engineering” of the NYPD in 2015:
“ A computerized system to announce openings in specialized units that provides information on how to apply — an effort to counter complaints of nepotism.”

Obviously, nepotism is a problem in the NYPD.

That being said, as I do not know which officers are legacy hires, I would be unable to definitely prove my assumptions by merely looking at the disciplinary files available to the public. If you know of a list provides details such as diversity hire and legacy hire, I would love to take a look. All I know, where there’s smoke, there’s fire and the nypd certainly has a problem with nepotism.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:21 AM

Quote:
This is from an article from the New York Post (a paper with a hard on for the police and a conservative bias) regarding the proposed “re-engineering” of the NYPD in 2015:
“ A computerized system to announce openings in specialized units that provides information on how to apply — an effort to counter complaints of nepotism.”

Obviously, nepotism is a problem in the NYPD.

That being said, as I do not know which officers are legacy hires, I would be unable to definitely prove my assumptions by merely looking at the disciplinary files available to the public. If you know of a list provides details such as diversity hire and legacy hire, I would love to take a look. All I know, where there’s smoke, there’s fire and the nypd certainly has a problem with nepotism.
Lol

You said that “legacy hires” would be revealed as being more perpy than quota hires and as evidence offer a “new” (5 years ago) system that posts job openings?

Really?

The NYPD has a problem with everything to people like you. You want to see “legacy hiring” problems? Take a look at the FDNY. Anyone who thinks I’m deflecting by saying this doesn’t know jack about the two jobs.

The NYPD has completely transformed over the last 15 years or so (since the $25,000 classes time frame). Most of what people still say about the department is completely false or just old stigmas that haven’t died. We barely even police anymore. If it wasn’t for one incident in 2014, you’d have to go back over a decade to find any provable negative incident to push the anti-cop narrative here.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-28-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Lol

You said that “legacy hires” would be revealed as being more perpy than quota hires and as evidence offer a “new” (5 years ago) system that posts job openings?

Really?

The NYPD has a problem with everything to people like you. You want to see “legacy hiring” problems? Take a look at the FDNY. Anyone who thinks I’m deflecting by saying this doesn’t know jack about the two jobs.

The NYPD has completely transformed over the last 15 years or so (since the $25,000 classes time frame). Most of what people still say about the department is completely false or just old stigmas that haven’t died. We barely even police anymore. If it wasn’t for one incident in 2014, you’d have to go back over a decade to find any provable negative incident to push the anti-cop narrative here.
How does one find the data for these things? Is there actually a listed referral system? I can’t imagine there being such. Also, is there a public database listing disciplinary actions taken?

Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 AM

State law prohibits internal disciplinary actions of government agencies from being made public. The job actually broke that law for years by allowing the press to physically come review the document the job puts out monthly. The Diblasio administration actually stopped that about 2 years ago.

Criminal incidents involving cops always make the news though. So if there aren’t any, then there haven’t been any, regardless of whether some people accept that truth or not.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
State law prohibits internal disciplinary actions of government agencies from being made public. The job actually broke that law for years by allowing the press to physically come review the document the job puts out monthly. The Diblasio administration actually stopped that about 2 years ago.

Criminal incidents involving cops always make the news though. So if there aren’t any, then there haven’t been any, regardless of whether some people accept that truth or not.
I see, but I'd think that especially for minor infractions, there'd be some that does not get news coverage. It seems like some degree of data anonymization would make public release of records more acceptable. Since there is no public record to check, then there's also little reason for people outside the department to believe that all criminal incidents involving cops does actually go into the news which might be how a public database, even if anonymized, would strengthen public trust in the police force and government agencies in general.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:07 AM

I suppose, but considering this thread is based on a relatively minor infraction not even committed within the city yet it was reported via one of our major papers, I’d still posit that the vast majority of police indiscretions make the news.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: