Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 06:32 PM

14,952 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I don't like her behavior but how do companies have the legal right to fire someone over things they do outside of work that happen to get caught on video? I'm naive to this, please educate me
Under the employment-at-will doctrine, an employer can generally fire an employee for any reason or for no reason at all. However, employers cannot terminate employees for reasons that would violate federal, state, or local anti-discrimination laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 06:41 PM

34,008 posts, read 47,240,427 times
She was not fired, placed on administrative leave

Please stick to the facts if you are going to discuss

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-26-2020, 06:44 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Orlando Sentinel said today the corp did fire her.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...thndnNTJ_-bi1w

Old 05-26-2020, 06:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Orlando Sentinel said today the corp did fire her.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...thndnNTJ_-bi1w
Yes, fired.

https://www.pix11.com/news/local-new...-employer-says

“Following our internal review of the incident in Central Park yesterday, we have made the decision to terminate the employee involved, effective immediately. We do not tolerate racism of any kind at Franklin Templeton,†the company said in a tweet.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
No disrespect but she will be alright. She is white and will get chances to redeem herself (not a privilege open to Blacks typically). She might even use this to her advantage in the future.
She's lucky she has a common name like Amy Cooper. I bet there are a hundred Amy Coopers on linkedin. When you're really screwed is if you have an uncommon name and you're easy to Google.

On the other hand, if anyone googles Amy Cooper and the name of the company that fired her, about a thousand news articles are going to come up.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:52 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think a hint about her self-identified liberalism is in the video. In the midst of being racist, she maintains the term "African American" for this black man. I've noticed that of my white friends who insist on the term African American, it's always the ones who consider themselves the most liberal/open-minded.

Clearly she thinks of herself that way and then pulls this!
Agreed. She is very liberal minded woman.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
When people post where they work on linkedin, they are tying their employer's reputation into theirs. She harmed her employer's reputation. This is a VP. Before this, googling her name would likely bring a result showing her employer.

Now if you want to stay with your opinion, I'd be ok with it with 2 caveats: (1) you can't list employers on social media, and (2) You can't list specific employers on your resume.

Deal?
Never understood why people do that. Post all your business online

Old 05-26-2020, 07:00 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
She's lucky she has a common name like Amy Cooper. I bet there are a hundred Amy Coopers on linkedin. When you're really screwed is if you have an uncommon name and you're easy to Google.

On the other hand, if anyone googles Amy Cooper and the name of the company that fired her, about a thousand news articles are going to come up.

She pulled her Linkedin page as far as I know. But hey, what a great event to put on a resume. It is pretty amazing how a fifteen minutes of infamy via social media can eff you up for a long time. I don't wish her ill, but this is a big wake up call to the woke shell of a person that seizes up on account of "entitlement syndrome".

Old 05-26-2020, 07:04 PM

14,952 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

source?

Old 05-26-2020, 07:20 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
I don't like her behavior but how do companies have the legal right to fire someone over things they do outside of work that happen to get caught on video? I'm naive to this, please educate me
Constitutions (both state and federal) generally don't limit what actions private citizens and companies may take. Rather, they tend to limit what actions governments can take, and even that's not universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City