Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 04:43 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times

Advertisements

I am tired of people assuming that you have a unhealthy lifestyle if you have HBP. For some it’s genetic. If you can afford to leave the city for a LCOL I would do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 06:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNYC View Post
I posted a couple of months ago about rent so if you are trailing back to that post it's been resolved for the most part.

My concern now while the person who rents the room to me (and 2 others) lives a few doors down in the next apartment. He has a lot of his family's belongings in the living room and every day either the guy, his wife and child or all 3 at the same time are in the apartment just about every day. This has not been a problem in the past and that's not why I'm complaining. I am worried because NONE of them wear a mask when they do. Not only do they come in but they are also in the kitchen and using the same bathroom we use. I have not said anything yet but the other night they were here for a couple of hours, the kid was running around the entire apartment with a remote controlled car and the landlord got upset with me because I didn't come out of my room when he needed to speak to me but I refuse to do so unless he wears a mask or he can call me on the phone.

I understand he rents the room to us but he's not above the same safety protocol that I and millions of fellow New Yorkers adhere to. Is this something I can call the police about? I've called 311 but they didn't have a real answer for me. I'm not looking for expert opinions here what I am asking is What would you do? This is a real concern to me because I also have high blood pressure and people with high blood pressure are at greater risk of contracting the virus, thank you.
While I understood your very reasonable concern, the safety precautions are not required by law, and it's their apartment, not yours.

The only thing you can to is to wear a mask - and politely say, "Sorry, this may seem peculiar, but I'm trying to follow the health guidelines, even if they're inconvenient, or look silly. I'd feel so bad if your child caught something from me. By the way, did you see the article in the newspaper about how the masks cut infection rates? I have a copy if you want to read it."

And when you "refuse" to come out, make sure you're sounding polite, not stubborn. Or else you may find yourself out of a room.

And if you are truly worried, you should try to find a living situation that involves fewer parties.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:41 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Either move out or fix your high blood pressure. Cut out all sugars, which include breads, pastas, crackers, cereals, waffles, pancakes and basically anything made out of white flour. Don’t eat anything that spikes insulin, and learn how to fast by eating only three or two times a day without snacking in between. Then, I promise you- not only will your blood pressure go down but you won’t *ever* have to worry about covid19 ever again.
It's funny you think that bringing blood pressure down to normal will prevent him from being taken out by a virus that has KOed athletes and marathon runners

Classic case of the rampant pervasive mentality on this forum of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I know from direct experience, lowering blood pressure takes a while, with or without medication. 90% of the time it involves lifestyle and primarily diet changes which takes time. Independent of this , he needs to avoid COVID19, period.

EVERYONE needs to avoid this virus.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
While I understood your very reasonable concern, the safety precautions are not required by law, and it's their apartment, not yours.

The only thing you can to is to wear a mask - and politely say, "Sorry, this may seem peculiar, but I'm trying to follow the health guidelines, even if they're inconvenient, or look silly. I'd feel so bad if your child caught something from me. By the way, did you see the article in the newspaper about how the masks cut infection rates? I have a copy if you want to read it."

And when you "refuse" to come out, make sure you're sounding polite, not stubborn. Or else you may find yourself out of a room.

And if you are truly worried, you should try to find a living situation that involves fewer parties.
He doesn't need to explain himself to idiots. What he does need to do is make hard decisions and do anything and everything to leave the city unless he has family here (and if he does he should lower his ego and move in with them) or the prospect of making $100k+ (unlikely in this job market)

Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRNYC View Post
Can anyone read? I'm not concerned about the kitchen, bathroom etc. They respect my privacy and don't ever enter my room without asking. My concern is THEY ARE NOT WEARING MASKS! This is the only thing bothering me. I mentioned high blood pressure NOT because of the situation I'm dealing with but because I'm at a higher risk of catching the virus...as with ALL PEOPLE with high blood pressure. Forgive me, but I just don't want to die..and don't tell me I am overreacting New York is approaching 25,000 deaths.
You are not at a higher risk of catching the virus because you have high blood pressure. People with pre-existing health conditions like high blood pressure are more at risk of getting really sick from the virus. Big difference.

Either way, why don’t you tell them exactly what you are telling us, that they not wearing masks is making you uncomfortable to come out of your room?

Either way, they do not seem like considerate people and you should not be renting from them and giving them your money. Try to look for other places to rent. There is no reason to stay at a place that is unpleasant to live in. There will be better places out there and when you do move, you will regret that you hadn’t done so sooner.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You are not at a higher risk of catching the virus because you have high blood pressure. People with pre-existing health conditions like high blood pressure are more at risk of getting really sick from the virus. Big difference.

Either way, why don’t you tell them exactly what you are telling us, that they not wearing masks is making you uncomfortable to come out of your room?

Either way, they do not seem like considerate people and you should not be renting from them and giving them your money. Try to look for other places to rent. There is no reason to stay at a place that is unpleasant to live in. There will be better places out there and when you do move, you will regret that you hadn’t done so sooner.
I'm not exactly sure why many people believe talking to people who visibly demonstrate they don't give a **** would somehow magically change their viewpoint and accommodate OPs concern, ESPECIALLY given OP is essentially a stranger to them (hence why I mentioned he should move back in with family or friends if necessary, presumably they'd care more about his health to be more careful than random roommates?)

Are they going to suddenly snap out of their delerium and say "OMG I am so sorry and I was being completely inconsiderate bringing my loud obnoxious Paw Paw, nephew and Auntie over not practicing social distancing and not wearing a mask....I just figured you were busy working on your YouTube channel becoming an aspiring Social Media Influencer during your time off which is why you never left your room! "

If a person is this oblivious then they are a lost cause, period. They were raised by dullard, slack jawed buffoons , low IQ/EQ etc. and it's not OPs task to make them aware of reality or make them conscientious of what the hell is going on right now.

This Missourian/Minnesotan style "live and let live, embrace all attitudes" neo-hipster/hippie perspective has got to go.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:44 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's funny you think that bringing blood pressure down to normal will prevent him from being taken out by a virus that has KOed athletes and marathon runners

Classic case of the rampant pervasive mentality on this forum of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I know from direct experience, lowering blood pressure takes a while, with or without medication. 90% of the time it involves lifestyle and primarily diet changes which takes time. Independent of this , he needs to avoid COVID19, period.

EVERYONE needs to avoid this virus.
Unfortunately, all those people whom have died (RIP) had underlying conditions. COVID19 in and by itself does not kill - if that were the case, we would all be dead by now.

Please watch this video:

https://youtu.be/DwEmwcMFE9Y

Old 05-28-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Unfortunately, all those people whom have died (RIP) had underlying conditions. COVID19 in and by itself does not kill - if that were the case, we would all be dead by now.

Please watch this video:

https://youtu.be/DwEmwcMFE9Y
His hypothesis makes sense. Unfortunately it's far from the reality.

OP doesn't just want to avoid the worst outcome (death) but also long term damage and/or expensive medical bills in the short term. Which can happen to ANYONE regardless of pre-existing conditions.

I'm also not sure why the Doctor in the video feels the majority of Americans are "healthy"

1 in 3 have some form of metabolic syndrome in USA

Old 06-02-2020, 06:57 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
I would look for another place to live. Just my opinion.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
He doesn't need to explain himself to idiots. What he does need to do is make hard decisions and do anything and everything to leave the city unless he has family here (and if he does he should lower his ego and move in with them) or the prospect of making $100k+ (unlikely in this job market)
Nope. You should always try to explain yourself, in the hopes of getting them to understand, and especially to your landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: