Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:42 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,579 times

Advertisements

Don't landlords check your credit also ask your last landlord for info about you as tenant??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Don't landlords check your credit also ask your last landlord for info about you as tenant??
Credit and background check, yes. Pointless to do a reference check because you can always claim your buddy was your landlord.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:57 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Property taxes in NYC are due 7/1. The landlords who aren't getting paid, aren't going to pay them. This is going to put a big hurt on the city's finances. When that happens, evictions will start happening again pretty quickly. And any of Cuomos edicts about keeping businesses closed that might still be in effect, will like cease to be enforced by the city.

One datapoint, The Gap is not paying rent on properties where they can't open their stores.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:07 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Property taxes in NYC are due 7/1. The landlords who aren't getting paid, aren't going to pay them. This is going to put a big hurt on the city's finances. When that happens, evictions will start happening again pretty quickly. And any of Cuomos edicts about keeping businesses closed that might still be in effect, will like cease to be enforced by the city.

One datapoint, The Gap is not paying rent on properties where they can't open their stores.
And their happy behinds are being hauled into court with property owners basically telling the Gap to "give me my money".

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/03/s...n-unpaid-rent/

GAP was and has been on shaky fiscal ground for some time now; and covid-19 isn't making things better on average.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/gap-...ares-fall.html

Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, but they cannot charge more than $20 for a background or credit check.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:34 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,021 times
Quote:
sure but if a group of deadbeats live together it's not hard to pass around the credit hits and after 7 years they're gone.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:16 PM

15,841 posts, read 14,472,390 times
Because lawsuits are such a quick and efficient way of settling business disputes. Those suits could drag on for years. And while they do, Simon isn't getting paid, and has that much less money to pay taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
And their happy behinds are being hauled into court with property owners basically telling the Gap to "give me my money".

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/03/s...n-unpaid-rent/

GAP was and has been on shaky fiscal ground for some time now; and covid-19 isn't making things better on average.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/gap-...ares-fall.html

Old 06-04-2020, 11:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
It seems like the alternative plan is put everyone who cant pay the rent on some form of Sec 8 or one shot deal

If you are going to waive certain fees/debts for one party, you should do for all. If LL gets mortgage waiver, I dont see how unreasonable not to at least furlough tenant rent too.

If you have to spend money should be on the essentials like food and utilities. If even that becomes too expensive, give them some stimulus.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It seems like the alternative plan is put everyone who cant pay the rent on some form of Sec 8 or one shot deal

If you are going to waive certain fees/debts for one party, you should do for all. If LL gets mortgage waiver, I dont see how unreasonable not to at least furlough tenant rent too.

If you have to spend money should be on the essentials like food and utilities. If even that becomes too expensive, give them some stimulus.
List for Section 8 has been closed for ages IIRC, and those on it now likely would be po'd if others were jumped ahead of themselves.

City already is pushing LLs of affordable lottery units to take homeless and other busted people, and that list is long enough. You can't save everyone......

As for one shot deal, BdeB has already increased that program up many times over. Where is all this money going to come from now city is essentially busted?

Old 06-05-2020, 01:23 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Why can't they pay the rent?
Most people are making more money on unemployment than they were working. Not to mention the stimulus.
I can understand a lot of people are still waiting on it and it will come eventually. As someone self employed I couldn't even file until about a month ago and I'll get less than I was making by a good amount. But for anyone making less even with the extra 600, they should have money saved to pay their bills. And if for some reason they don't they should still be able to pay their rent and eat with the unemployment money.In the more expsnive places to live they're still getting over 1,000 dollars a week. If not they still can't pay their rent they were living completely over their heads anyway and don't deserve to have the tax payers paying their obviously super high rent.

So if someone was laid off and still hasn't received their stimulus money/unemployment they should pay their back rent when they come through which they will. They already can't get evicted- so why should they get rent vouchers. Instead of rent voucher the gov't needs to pay them what they're owed and they can pay their rent.

Now for people who didn't get unemployment-they already weren't working so how did covic negatively impact them financially? How would they have paid their rent anyway?

If a landlord gets a mortgage waiver it's not going to eliminate the payment- it's going to defer it.
As i already said it's perfectly reasonable for people who truly can't pay their rent to defer it until their unemployment/stimulus money come through. It is not ok for them to not pay it, nor should anyone else pay it. They're already getting more than enough to pay it.

Now after July 31st if the economy is still in shambles and unemployment isn't extended I could understand some sort of rent voucher system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City