Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

People harp on about the MTA being a cesspool of patronage appointments with a bloated budget haven't seen anything. The Port Authority puts MTA in shade far as those things go, and has found ways to yet again bloat their budget with $150 million increase in compensation/overtime.

Some people are stuffing themselves!

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/05/...t-year-report/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 04:43 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
The problem is that you think $150 million is a lot of money, and "streetsblog" knows how to reel 'em in with numbers that look big to the average Joe.

For real, I think the most accurate remark is in this comment on the article:

Larry Littlefield • 10 hours ago • edited
If you are talking about people being overpaid compared with other places, you are really talking about PATH and the Port Authority police.

For anything else the average salary is high because there are no workers, only contract managers and executives. Practically every who works at the airports and seaport works for a private sector company, operating the facilities on behalf of the Port Authority. Comparative employment here, from the employment phase of the Census of Governments.

He's right. For example, look at the annual salary of the head of the Aviation Department. $279,214.00.

Peanuts compared to the private sector equivalent for someone who is responsible for five airports, two of them major international gateways. He or she (because there has a been a she) is on call 24/7/365, holidays, vacations, whenever.

Is that a patronage job? Of course not. The Director of Aviation job never has been, because nobody in their right mind would take that job for that low of a salary. Oh, every so often they've tried to go outside, spend big money on executive searches, and come up empty, and in the end the job goes to the person who is usually already doing it in an "acting" capacity. That person, like the one in the position now as you can see from his start date, is someone who has been with the Port Authority probably since they got out of college thirty-five years ago, not someone put there by a current politician. They'll take the pay because they're in the NYS retirement system, and also, they know that if they want to move to the private sector upon retirement, they can just sit home and someone will call and ask them to join their firm.

Oh, yeah, the patronage jobs exist, but the great majority of the 7000 employees are not on the radar of the governors. They just keep the place running, happy to get a living wage, decent benefits (much less decent than once upon a time, of course) and be in one of the industries that still has a pension plan.

And of course the most powerful, openly political positions are unpaid--the Board of Commissioners.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 PM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
How much are the tolls going up?

Old 05-29-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
How much are the tolls going up?
You just sign over the title to your car, and you can walk across the bridges for free for the next five years.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:40 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
<--- PA

Old 05-29-2020, 04:55 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Stand by my original statements; some people are stuffing themselves.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/new_...6b8eaabef.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...rs-38-billion/

Governors and elected officals of NJ and NY are crying to DT and Congress they need bailout money by boatloads, yet no one is or has touched huge amounts of waste, fraud and abuse.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Stand by my original statements; some people are stuffing themselves.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/new_...6b8eaabef.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...rs-38-billion/

Governors and elected officals of NJ and NY are crying to DT and Congress they need bailout money by boatloads, yet no one is or has touched huge amounts of waste, fraud and abuse.
As I've already said, no politician is EVER going to touch the cops for the obvious reason that there are no politicians who have nothing to hide, and so they aren't going to clamp down on the people who have access to every type of surveillance that exists.

Other salaries are not widely out of line. Yes, there are always a number of "patronage" jobs where some useless idiot is parked because they can't do much of anything anywhere else, but they are greatly in the minority.

If you know of other specific abuses and fraud, you should report them to the Inspector General.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-29-2020 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-29-2020, 05:54 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you know this is going on, why haven't you reported it to the Inspector General?
I'm not saying this in any way to say that this colors what you're saying, but I am curious--do you work for the Port Authority?

Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not saying this in any way to say that this colors what you're saying, but I am curious--do you work for the Port Authority?
Not now. But I was there long enough that I know that the perception that everyone there is a political plant who does nothing all day and that contracts are handed out left and right to politicians' friends is a crock. So sure, it colors what I am saying. I'm trying to balance the wild-eyed screeching with some factual information.

Like most public perceptions held by people who really have no idea of what goes on in whatever organization they are focusing on, they were born of grains of truth. It's a political organization; ergo, decisions are always made that favor the politicians who hold the power and control. And that affects no one more than the rank and file of 7000 employees who are just there doing their jobs to keep a major transportation network going while working around the nonsense.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:19 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
People harp on about the MTA being a cesspool of patronage appointments with a bloated budget haven't seen anything. The Port Authority puts MTA in shade far as those things go, and has found ways to yet again bloat their budget with $150 million increase in compensation/overtime.

Some people are stuffing themselves!

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/05/...t-year-report/
Like it or hate it the following is only my opinion:

At least when we worked .........................you saw results....................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: