Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

It was basically murder and nothing probably would have happened to the officer if it wasn't for the public outcry. I don't blame all officers, but in order for us to get beyond this, good cops need to denounce the actions of bad ones. And the other three who just stood there and watched, they need to be charged too. It's been one incident after another and it blows up, but at a terrible time. Some protesters are going to get the virus and bring it back to vulnerable members of their families, some of whom will end up dying. The thought makes me so sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 11:46 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
It was basically murder and nothing probably would have happened to the officer if it wasn't for the public outcry. .
I doubt that.

The 4 cops were fired before the first protest. The investigation was underway before the first protest.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:49 AM

30,635 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I doubt that.

The 4 cops were fired before the first protest. The investigation was underway before the first protest.
Yep. That's just an excuse to justify the inexcusable. Note, I'm all for peaceful protests (though I'll continue to question why it takes a black person being killed by someone white for black lives to "matter" ), but the rest is a disgrace.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
It was basically murder and nothing probably would have happened to the officer if it wasn't for the public outcry. I don't blame all officers, but in order for us to get beyond this, good cops need to denounce the actions of bad ones. And the other three who just stood there and watched, they need to be charged too. It's been one incident after another and it blows up, but at a terrible time. Some protesters are going to get the virus and bring it back to vulnerable members of their families, some of whom will end up dying. The thought makes me so sad.
I keep hearing people say this, but it makes it seem that there are tons of bad cops out there, and the evidence just doesn't support such a notion. There are 1 million sworn law enforcement officers in this country. When people can only point out a relative handful of problematic cases that lead to protests each year, this tells me that we do not have some systematic problem.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. That's just an excuse to justify the inexcusable. Note, I'm all for peaceful protests (though I'll continue to question why it takes a black person being killed by someone white for black lives to "matter" ), but the rest is a disgrace.
Not justifying. I agree with firing all 4. I'm hoping the 3 who watched are charged with aiding and abetting, so Mn can get one to flip to state's side. One who flips is likely one least able to sustain no job, giant legal bills to come, possibly jail. You identify him, if you want a new state witness, and you scare the daylights out of both him and his family.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Not justifying. I agree with firing all 4. I'm hoping the 3 who watched are charged with aiding and abetting, so Mn can get one to flip to state's side. One who flips is likely one least able to sustain no job, giant legal bills to come, possibly jail. You identify him, if you want a new state witness, and you scare the daylights out of both him and his family.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I wrote about people trying to justify the inexcusable, I was referring to the rioting and looting.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:17 PM

126 posts, read 66,171 times
Quote:
I keep hearing people say this, but it makes it seem that there are tons of bad cops out there, and the evidence just doesn't support such a notion. There are 1 million sworn law enforcement officers in this country. When people can only point out a relative handful of problematic cases that lead to protests each year, this tells me that we do not have some systematic problem.
I agree. People want a perfect world and it aint going to happen. But officers who abuse their power should be charged. I just find is so strange the selective outrage that people have. How many gang shootings happen in these neighborhoods and theres no outrage at all. But as soon as a white officer is involved...well that confirms my bias against cops so "ima go out and riot."

Its all BS.

Call it both ways or keep quiet

Old 05-31-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I wrote about people trying to justify the inexcusable, I was referring to the rioting and looting.
I agree on that point. There is no justifying the rioting , looting, etc..

Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
The thing is that burning retail and restaurants hurts the poor the most, and in NYC that's especially Black and Hispanic folks. If those stores weren't to come back (they will, but still) who's going to be laid off? Also, as far as the police are concerned, while we do have to start focusing our efforts on tangible reforms, the reality is if what has happened in Baltimore is any indication, if we witness a total and complete turn away from policing as a discipline then who's going to be hurt the most? The poor.

Those 4 officers in MN are murders/accompliaces, everyone has agreed on that. But at this point all I see are young white kids trashing things to bring about something that will never happen (police abolition) and if it did would hurt the very folks they "say" they care about.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:28 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Some protesters are going to get the virus and bring it back to vulnerable members of their families, some of whom will end up dying. The thought makes me so sad.
Oh well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City