Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:49 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't think he's a racist he just over did it. Police have a habit of mistreating people because it's too routine for them. When a violent criminal fights back they use more force but that force is being used on non-violent criminals too and that leads to brutality.
His unusually numerous charges - approx 1 per year- for use of excessive force against POC seems to point to that. I think you’d need to do an analysis and see how much of an outlier he is in comparison to other officers to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 06:30 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius76 View Post
I feel like hip hop music has set AAs back 100 years. Glorifying violence, sex, drugs etc. has raised the past 2 generations to think that that is the way to live and that they should glorify the same crap. How many times have we been in public and seen young black youth acting a fool. Countless. I use to teach in Queens, public school. The things that these teenagers say out loud, you wouldn't believe. They don't care about using the vile-est of words right out in front of adults. No respect. AA community is toxic AF. And thats a big part of the problem. When you carry around the victim mentality like a disease and looking for things to feel oppressed by, is it any reason we have these problems? Why is it, that hispanic are doing just fine in this country? Asians are thriving. People from India, Pakistan, Nepal and god knows who from god knows where, they're doing just fine. Only one group perpetually plays the victim.

And by the way, I am not trying to hammer away at AAs. I know some great, great people who agree with everything I am saying. But the truth needs to be told. And people need to hear it. Otherwise we can just keep this vicious cycle going.
It continues onto to college to thanks to Affirmative Action. Some of my college AA friends are so embarrassed by it.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 PM

106 posts, read 263,316 times
Quote:
Racism isn't going away. And all sides are guilty.

AAs carry around this bitterness and resentment towards white people every single day likes is a Fcing disease (and you know its true), if AAs even feel the smallest of slights from a white person they just chalk it up to "racism", and white folks, who have had negative experiences with AAs in the past try to avoid contact with them because they feel like they have to walk on eggs shells.

If this is just about hating on white cops, let minority cops patrol their own neighborhoods from now on because I'm done. Sad that it has come to that. If this is just about hating all cops, well sorry but you do not get to break the law and get away with it.

The cop in Minneapolis was in the wrong. We all know it. He was arrested and charged. All this rioting and looting just feels like anger gone wild and people out there for the fun of making Tik Tok videos.

This is why I moved out to the suburbs. The city, and much of its inhabitants are crazy. You have to be crazy to want to live ontop of millions of other people in close quarters.
As a black male i totally agree with both your post. This whole situation right now isnt even about george floyd anymore its about issues from 400 years ago, pent up anger. I understand where they are coming from, i get it, but i dont understand why use this incident as a means to take down the entire country. I have friends telling me now how they want to destroy upper classes neighborhoods next, which is all done out of pure jealousy and envy. They dont understand even in these retail jobs like target etc, these places employ majority minorities/lower class so either way your hurting yourself, youre taking a job away, now someone has to go across town. I even seen other AA's on social media promoting not to destroy black businesses but do everything else, which also doesnt solve the issue and its selfish, these people have never owned anything in their life. This is all coming from the youth and im not even 30 yet lol. The racism is coming from both ends with blacks playing victim, like i said i get it but you have to do other things internally to make a difference it starts with the culture from the bottom up. Putting AA police in minority areas sounds good but because of the culture with hiphop and rap if you havent noticed there is a lot of F** 12 going on. Im starting to believe they dont even want police to exist anymore and want to civilize themselves thats the vibes im getting right now. And police right now cant even do their jobs because of that attitude currently which is why i think are just letting places get destroyed. I personally was taught at a young age not react negatively to police because of incidents we see in the news and how i am a target and because of that i never been in trouble outside of speeding tickets, i am not anti police, there is definitely bad cops but theyre are also a-lot of good cops. The whole original message is totally lost now

Old 05-31-2020, 08:06 PM

126 posts, read 66,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
As a black male i totally agree with both your post. This whole situation right now isnt even about george floyd anymore its about issues from 400 years ago, pent up anger. I understand where they are coming from, i get it, but i dont understand why use this incident as a means to take down the entire country. I have friends telling me now how they want to destroy upper classes neighborhoods next, which is all done out of pure jealousy and envy. They dont understand even in these retail jobs like target etc, these places employ majority minorities/lower class so either way your hurting yourself, youre taking a job away, now someone has to go across town. I even seen other AA's on social media promoting not to destroy black businesses but do everything else, which also doesnt solve the issue and its selfish, these people have never owned anything in their life. This is all coming from the youth and im not even 30 yet lol. The racism is coming from both ends with blacks playing victim, like i said i get it but you have to do other things internally to make a difference it starts with the culture from the bottom up. Putting AA police in minority areas sounds good but because of the culture with hiphop and rap if you havent noticed there is a lot of F** 12 going on. Im starting to believe they dont even want police to exist anymore and want to civilize themselves thats the vibes im getting right now. And police right now cant even do their jobs because of that attitude currently which is why i think are just letting places get destroyed. I personally was taught at a young age not react negatively to police because of incidents we see in the news and how i am a target and because of that i never been in trouble outside of speeding tickets, i am not anti police, there is definitely bad cops but theyre are also a-lot of good cops. The whole original message is totally lost now
Exactly. Everyone needs to be rational. We need to find a way for AAs to not feel so oppressed. I don't know how we do that. But we need to find a way at some point. The problem is, you cannot just create a law that will fix everything.

And you're right. Theres a movement called #DefundThePolice. These people are stage 5 W-A-C-K-O-S. Can you imagine if we didn't have law enforcement? Cartels would run the streets like many parts of Mexico.

And not to deflect, but I am convinced the media loves this division. They get to pick and choose what Americans know about in the world. And everything is negative, divisive and hateful.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Racism isn't going away. And all sides are guilty.

AAs carry around this bitterness and resentment towards white people every single day likes is a Fcing disease (and you know its true), if AAs even feel the smallest of slights from a white person they just chalk it up to "racism", and white folks, who have had negative experiences with AAs in the past try to avoid contact with them because they feel like they have to walk on eggs shells.

If this is just about hating on white cops, let minority cops patrol their own neighborhoods from now on because I'm done. Sad that it has come to that. If this is just about hating all cops, well sorry but you do not get to break the law and get away with it.
So true! After 30+ years of daily interactions with angry, resentful, unreasonable AAs, I now try to avoid contact with them.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-31-2020 at 08:49 PM..

Old 05-31-2020, 08:36 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Let them burn the leftist parts of the city. That’s where they are right now. Who cares? Pull the whole PD back. Not worth even a papercut to protect what democrat voters own.
Come on you can't say that, are you really wishing for the end of democracy and have all democrats dead like a certain someone? I respect you, but that's not right to say such things. I hope it was just a rant with no substance.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
As a black male i totally agree with both your post. This whole situation right now isnt even about george floyd anymore its about issues from 400 years ago, pent up anger. I understand where they are coming from, i get it, but i dont understand why use this incident as a means to take down the entire country.
IMO the fuel to this fire is the COVID pandemic. Everything is closed, people are out of work, so they have nothing better to do. Nobody is cutting the night short because they have to be at work in the morning. Everybody's been cooped up and frustrated and that's just feeding into the rioting

Old 05-31-2020, 08:43 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,018 times
Quote:
Indeed the message is now lost, and lots of people are using that anger to create a completely new paradigm. The more they continue into that route, the more hurt they will be at the end, when authorities are going to sanction brute force.

Peaceful demonstration with zero violence or looting is the way, and then, they need to fight at a political level. Go vote, go vote in a structured and organized way to make sure your voices are heard and that the politicians who chose to represent you can be elected! No other way to change a democratic world.

Anything else is a grave mistake that they will pay even more with their blood. It's pure madness to wish to go fight the police or so. Even worst is that some of those people were the customers of those retail shops. They knew the owner and all, but instead, chose to break into the shop and steal the items. This will destroy any sense of community. This will condemn even more the Black community.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Whats odd about that Eric Garner case is that from my understanding the officers went there to arrest him for selling illegal cigarettes outside the bodega. But I couldn't find any report that said after they arrested/killed how much did they found on him.

Maybe im missing something or I just wasn't looking hard enough to understand why so many officers showed up to arrest a man allegedly selling cigarettes.

That cost the tax payers a good 6 million, and the cop that choked him went free while keeping his job for 5 more years! Five!!!!!
I'm with you. Eric was killed for nothing. They should've sent 2 officers to confront him and find out if he was selling cigarettes. At the time, he didn't have loosies on him. It was said that he was known for selling em but even still, that kind of excessive force used against him and George Floyd is inhumane, unacceptable and unjustified.

The fact that Minnesota took action within a week with firing all the officers and bringing one up on charges is commendable. If this happened here, they would all still have their jobs. There HAS to be reform of the NYPD from top to bottom

Old 06-01-2020, 10:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
His unusually numerous charges - approx 1 per year- for use of excessive force against POC seems to point to that. I think you’d need to do an analysis and see how much of an outlier he is in comparison to other officers to be sure.
I think all cops should have bodycams and some type of submission tool not a tazer. New videos did show that George Floyd resisted arrest and had fought back the arrest. That's the problem with being a cop these days is how to subdue a suspect and taking them into custody. Many suspect need 4-5 cops to bring them down without choking them but often the choking technique is the most effective. People don't know that the Eric Garner incident happened because Eric refused to be taken in. When you get into a choke hold by someone you neither surrender or fight back. It wasn't a wise choice by Eric Garner he paid for it with his life and another cop is thrown in jail for trying to subdue a suspect.

This is why they need to come up with a better submission tool that can take down somebody easily without endangering the suspect and police.

While people keep saying George Floyd wasn't violent, he did fought back the arrest over something that was nothing. Had he just complied, he would've just gotten a fine and a court date. People need to use their heads, being arrested is not a big deal. The neighborhood store he went to was well respected by people in the community. How many times a store has to be robbed or given fake cash by these people and involve a police officer being labeled a racist for doing their job?

The Democrats in NJ made a law that says all businesses must accept CASH in NJ. If they accept CC, then none of this kind of stuff would happen. Robbers are less likely to rob stores too but instead Democrats made NJ stores vulnerable by enforcing CASH acceptance everywhere even for high end jewelers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: