Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 29,817 times

Advertisements

I would like some advice about moving to either Brooklyn or Queens. I am starting a position at Stony Brook University this fall and want to live in the City. I want to live in a neighborhood close to the LIRR, so that I can take the train on the 2 days per week that I need to be on campus. I'm a gay Asian American male looking for a 1-bedroom apartment (in the $1200-$1400 range) where I will feel relatively comfortable walking home at night. I originally set my sights on Fort Greene, but it's looking too expensive. People have told me that I should expand my search to Queens and other parts of Brooklyn. Thank you for any advice you might give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Woodside has an LIRR station and I think you could find a place in your rent range. There's a huge gay community in neighboring Jackson Heights and that area of Queens is very diverse in terms of races/country of origin, etc.

If you don't need to walk to the LIRR, you could live actually in Jackson Heights itself and take the 7 train a few stops to 61st St and get the LIRR there. $1400 is about right for a one bedroom. Check Vantage Properties - Rentals (http://www.vantageresidential.com/availabilities.php?borough=queens - broken link) for prices for renovated apts in this area - though I am not necessarily recommending Vantage itself as I have no experience w/ them whatsoever. I notice that they do not have availabilities right now in JH - a few weeks ago they had two available, one at around $1400 and the other at $1650.

What else are you looking for in a neighborhood besides safety walking to and from the train?

There are other neighborhoods further out that have LIRR stations, but from your descrption of yourself I thought Woodside/JH might be a good fit.

P.S. I should mention that Woodside is very large so double check the address of the apt building vs. where the LIRR stops if you are trying to be w/in walking distance.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 29,817 times
Thank you, Henna, for your helpful reply. I am leaning more towards living in Queens (in neighborhoods like Jackson Heights and Astoria) rather than in Brooklyn because of factors like affordability, a gay community, a diverse immigrant community, and easy access to the LIRR and subway. Being able to walk and ride a bike to stores (for groceries, amenities, etc.) is also ideal. I'm a 40 year-old gay Asian American male, and want to feel comfortable walking home and around my neighborhood at night.

I've been told that if I want a 1-bedroom apartment in the $1200-$1400 range near the LIRR, then I should look in Crown Heights near the Nostrand Ave station. I've been looking at places in this price range available on Park Place and St. Johns Place between Nostrand and Brooklyn Avenues. Would you be able to give me some advice about living this neighborhood? Do you think Queens (Jackson Heights) is still my best bet? Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM

Here is my biased reply: you are better off in Jackson Heights. I have to admit I do not know the exact blocks you mentioned in Crown Heights, but from what I can tell from reading online forums like this one and Brooklynian.com | Brooklyn Blog and Message Boards :: View topic - crown heights north , Crown Heights (and Prospect Heights) still have quite a bit of street crime - like muggings and beatings.

I used to live in Brooklyn and will always have a soft spot in my heart for it. After I moved to Queens, I still felt that tug. But after being in Jackson Heights for 2+ years, I have to say I'm glad I did not end up in an area of Brooklyn where I would have had to watch my back.

I also really can't compare amenities for you since I don't know that part of Crown Heights, but Jackson Heights has tons of very good grocery/market shopping and lots of great cheap ethnic food of all varieties. Here's a thread on safety in JH Safety in Jackson Heights - Jackson Heights NY - Queens and if you look around on that forum there are many threads about food shopping etc.

Someone of your demographic I think would feel very very comfortable in Jackson Heights. I don't know about Crown Heights.

If I had to sum it up I would say Crown Heights was a very bad neighborhood that is rapidly gentrifying (more white faces, more new businesses every day) whereas Jackson Heights has always been more of a middle class community (though it had its bad drug/crime days in the '80s like much of NYC) and is changing very gradually - I'm not even sure you could call it gentrifying - because to me that implies an area that is down and out that is suddenly seeing a huge and noticeable influx of money and white people.

The changes that have happened the last two years in JH are more subtle- but there is now a Starbucks, an independent architect-owned cafe, and a very good gallery.

Another point to consider is - do you already have friends in either Brooklyn or Queens? If you do, it might make sense to choose someplace closer to them as travelling between the two is not all that fast or simple.

If you are really interested in Crown Heights you might want to start a new thread as you don't seem to be getting too many replies to this one.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 PM

P.S. You might also check out Sunnyside in Queens - the North side near the 40th St. or 46th St. stop on the 7 train. You would have only a few stops to 61st St. and I suppose you could even walk ( a bit long). Sunnyside North is a lovely, quiet neighborhood. Plenty of restaurants. Don't know about food shopping but there seem to be a fair number of grocery stores- there's a Met food that is small but very nice.

I still would choose Jackson Heights but wanted to give you more options.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
I must agree that Crown Heights is probably not the neighborhood for you at this time. The dominant cultures in the neighborhood are very conservative and I do not think that you would feel comfortable there.

My husband and I are an interracial couple and did not feel comfortable while attending open houses in the neighborhood.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM

For some reason I was only thinking of the majority-black parts of Crown Heights since last time I was there looking for a place to live (Crown St. near Bedford Ave) it was pretty much all black. How could I forget that half of Crown Heights is heavily Hasidic/orthodox Jewish and that culture does not mix well with the blacks. Of course now there is a third element - hipster, which probably doesn't mix well with the first two categories~

About 4 or 5 years ago when I was in a mixed relationship (black/white) we stopped the car at a Hasidic owned store on Bedford Ave for something small - like a lemon or something - on the way back to Williamburg. That was a huge mistake. The people in the store let us know we were not welcome and we left in a hurry.

The Jewish blocks are pretty separate from the black blocks from what I remember. I am really not sure how it all works out. The last race riot was a long time ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City