Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 12:35 AM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowyok View Post
it isn't about black or white its about repercussions for the 1 to 5% of bad cops. 95% act professional, the rest ruin it. As the saying goes one rotten apple can slowly end up making the whole patch bad.
It is in part about black and white, hence "Black Lives Matter"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 03:51 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmarkblue View Post
let's here cida opinion first on this.

lol

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-08-2020, 07:36 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonae View Post
They already take 2 hours
Then it will be “please standby by until an officer is available, and we don’t have an ETA, sorry about that”

Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM

51 posts, read 44,086 times
I can see them putting priority on non white 911 calls. I'm only half joking.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:10 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
With the police defunded, the cops will be able to work with gangs. Gangs will offer security services to their respected areas. each building will have to pay some sort of dues to their "gang" and wear their colors reflecting that they are under their protection.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:43 PM

38 posts, read 20,527 times
I believe de-funding NYPD is a valid point. De-fund police NOT policing.

Right now NYPD responds to calls that they shouldn't be responding to. Jobs like non violent family disputes or non violent 'crazy' people. Instead of sending cops (that have very little training in those matters) send social worker with professional degree in above subjects.

NYC and US are the only country where there are cops in schools (or school safety agents), hire more deans and fund more after school programs.

In US police is used as a tool to fix all social problems (bad education, mental hygiene, last of family unit, homelessness and many more). Cops are trained but they aren't professionals in those matters. Its like trying to fix everything in your house with one tool. Tool used in wrong place will do more damage then good.

I 100% blame our politicians. Its easier to just arrest people than educated them, easier to put homeless people behind bars than finding a permanent place for them, easier to arrest people with mental problems than to give them help...Politicians did this!

I have many cop friends and they told me that re-delegating some % of NYPD budget will work well is some of the NYPD responsibilities will be re-delegated to more appropriate services.

We tried to over-police everything and everyone in this country so maybe trying something new might just work.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:51 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen_nyc View Post
I believe de-funding NYPD is a valid point. De-fund police NOT policing.

Right now NYPD responds to calls that they shouldn't be responding to. Jobs like non violent family disputes or non violent 'crazy' people. Instead of sending cops (that have very little training in those matters) send social worker with professional degree in above subjects.

NYC and US are the only country where there are cops in schools (or school safety agents), hire more deans and fund more after school programs.

In US police is used as a tool to fix all social problems (bad education, mental hygiene, last of family unit, homelessness and many more). Cops are trained but they aren't professionals in those matters. Its like trying to fix everything in your house with one tool. Tool used in wrong place will do more damage then good.

I 100% blame our politicians. Its easier to just arrest people than educated them, easier to put homeless people behind bars than finding a permanent place for them, easier to arrest people with mental problems than to give them help...Politicians did this!

I have many cop friends and they told me that re-delegating some % of NYPD budget will work well is some of the NYPD responsibilities will be re-delegated to more appropriate services.

We tried to over-police everything and everyone in this country so maybe trying something new might just work.
Excellent post

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-08-2020, 06:13 PM

51 posts, read 44,086 times
Who's job is it to decide whether a situation is violent or nonviolent? Because if it's freshly graduated minimum wage 90lb Becky's job then I'm not so sure her twenty phd degrees in social work are cut out for that.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
The ironic thing about this is that NYC would become more right wing in some ways if the police ceased to exist

Gun restrictions, smoking bans, alcohol restrictions, various employment related laws, etc. would be unenforceable

Old 06-08-2020, 06:24 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I think some people are confusing herd immunity with herd mentality. Just to be clear, the former is good, the latter is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City