Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 10:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,352,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
And now AOC wants for 1 billion to be slashed from the NYPDs budget:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...yds-death.html
Tbh they could do with slashing. The War on Drugs is an expensive war and has been a complete failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So not true, a cop pulled me over on Jamaica Avenue one time (this was like early 2000s) and gave me a cellphone ticket. This was when I had a Nextel flip and the phone was in my pocket. Cop literally told me to "just go to court," I went to court, and the cop did not show up. Ticket dismissed. Maybe it was the end of the month? I really don't remember.

My point is, it happens, but your statement makse it appear as if the police dont unnecessarily interact with ppl some times. Like it never happens at all. To say so is highly inaccurate. And mind you there's good and bad ppl on every job before you go there, I'm aware of that.
This is why some are protesting...the total ignoring of people's experiences. The fact that you are harassed just because you are black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen_nyc View Post
I believe de-funding NYPD is a valid point. De-fund police NOT policing.

Right now NYPD responds to calls that they shouldn't be responding to. Jobs like non violent family disputes or non violent 'crazy' people. Instead of sending cops (that have very little training in those matters) send social worker with professional degree in above subjects.

NYC and US are the only country where there are cops in schools (or school safety agents), hire more deans and fund more after school programs.

In US police is used as a tool to fix all social problems (bad education, mental hygiene, last of family unit, homelessness and many more). Cops are trained but they aren't professionals in those matters. Its like trying to fix everything in your house with one tool. Tool used in wrong place will do more damage then good.

I 100% blame our politicians. Its easier to just arrest people than educated them, easier to put homeless people behind bars than finding a permanent place for them, easier to arrest people with mental problems than to give them help...Politicians did this!

I have many cop friends and they told me that re-delegating some % of NYPD budget will work well is some of the NYPD responsibilities will be re-delegated to more appropriate services.

We tried to over-police everything and everyone in this country so maybe trying something new might just work.
I've said this for the longest time. You have cops doing stuff they are not qualified to do. Many just have a high school degree. Can't expect them to be doing social services stuff when they have no training/education in it. Our criminal justice system was designed to be oppressive and we are just seeing what it's been like for forever. It's really nothing new. Everything in this country is criminalized. Our incarceration rate can't be matched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 02:04 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,190,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
This is why some are protesting...the total ignoring of people's experiences. The fact that you are harassed just because you are black.
How do you know he was harassed because he was black?

Old 06-09-2020, 03:24 AM

18,968 posts, read 13,860,877 times
I'm praying that Minneapolis goes all in with this: no police at all. Either via total dismantling or the inability to hire anyone for the job. It's been loud and whiny rhetoric for so many years. Let's finally go full-retard, with MN as the sacrificial lambs.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-09-2020, 04:53 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,352,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How do you know he was harassed because he was black?
I know because I tell white people about my experiences and they look shocked when they hear how I am treated. They typically do not experience what we do. Not just by cops btw but in schools, shopping, etc.
I also looked out for context clues in his post. You would have been able to pick it up if you read it properly.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:42 AM

910 posts, read 750,808 times
We are heading for a great purge. Even officers who have been CLEARED OF ANY WRONGDOING are getting fired from their jobs. This is freaking unbelievable.

https://www.nj.com/gloucester-county...mily-says.html

Old 06-09-2020, 05:53 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,237,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
We are heading for a great purge. Even officers who have been CLEARED OF ANY WRONGDOING are getting fired from their jobs. This is freaking unbelievable.

https://www.nj.com/gloucester-county...mily-says.html
I've seen some buzz that people are already warning that if any of the officers in Floyds murder are acquitted or plead down they will riot again. Its unconscionable that an angry mob is going to hold our justice system hostage to get the outcome they want. One of the officers was a rookie only on the job 4 days. 4 DAYS. ANd witnesses say he asked twice shouldnt we roll him over and twice was told no to wait for the ambulance by his superior officer. He doesnt deserve to have his life ruined because he didnt know what he was supposed to do. But he will be found guilty because the justice system is being destroyed.

In Minneapolis, a council member was asked what happens if someone breaks into their house in the middle of the night (if the police are gone). She said thinking the police will come and save you comes from a place of privilege. Basically she thinks if the police dont work for 100% of people then noone should have it and thats bs. There are definitely things that can be covered by other people like social workers but if someone is trying to kill me, no social worker is going to want to come help, its dangerous and I guess i just get killed. Violent crime didnt disappear when police were strolling the streets. Do these people think all the violent criminals will be like of the police are gone? Better not hurt anyone. No.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:57 AM

lol

The pressure off of my shoulders now that I have decided to retire is a feeling I never could have imagined. Even over the last few days while at protests making overtime up the wazoo, I've been smiling 24/7. It's amazing.

I can't imagine how anyone could possibly even consider becoming a cop after this. Forget "defund the police", there won't be anyone willing to do it!

In just a few months I'll be kicked back in NJ, collecting a check every month, armed better than a non-infantry Army platoon 24/7, not giving two butts whether there's cops in my neighborhood or not. The people screaming for this are the ones who need the cops the most. Mark my words. Anyone with half a brain knows this is a non-negotiable fact.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-09-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
In Minneapolis, a council member was asked what happens if someone breaks into their house in the middle of the night (if the police are gone). She said thinking the police will come and save you comes from a place of privilege.
At least the gun control debate is over. There's really nothing left to even say on the matter.

You're telling me I CAN'T call 911 even if I wanted to? lol THANK YOU!

Old 06-09-2020, 06:17 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,049,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
lol

The pressure off of my shoulders now that I have decided to retire is a feeling I never could have imagined. Even over the last few days while at protests making overtime up the wazoo, I've been smiling 24/7. It's amazing.

I can't imagine how anyone could possibly even consider becoming a cop after this. Forget "defund the police", there won't be anyone willing to do it!

In just a few months I'll be kicked back in NJ, collecting a check every month, armed better than a non-infantry Army platoon 24/7, not giving two butts whether there's cops in my neighborhood or not. The people screaming for this are the ones who need the cops the most. Mark my words. Anyone with half a brain knows this is a non-negotiable fact.
Congrats! Have you filled out your papers?

Are you moving to NJ for retirement? I thought you were going south.

I agree on the whole "defund the police". The ones that are promoting it (celebrities, politicians, etc) are far removed from the situation and they probably live in gated communities with private security. I feel that cops will be more reluctant to do anything with the whole current climate.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:19 AM

910 posts, read 750,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Its unconscionable that an angry mob is going to hold our justice system hostage to get the outcome they want. One of the officers was a rookie only on the job 4 days. 4 DAYS. ANd witnesses say he asked twice shouldnt we roll him over and twice was told no to wait for the ambulance by his superior officer. He doesnt deserve to have his life ruined because he didnt know what he was supposed to do. But he will be found guilty because the justice system is being destroyed.
Absolutely. It is so disgusting what is happening to our already corrupt justice system. Now it is simply a joke. Your trial outcome will most definitely be determined by mobs and politicians. We are no better than any run of the mill corrupt country at this point.

I also saw that repulsive interview with the Minneapolis council member.

Airborneguy:

Yes! They are basically saying "don't call 911 on Black people".

Wtf is happening in this country and why are the people allowing it? Social media has wreaked havoc. I used to be moderately in favor of a lot more gun control. NOT ANYMORE. I am stocking up and ready. Nobody will want to be a cop anymore. Who knows, maybe things will be much better. I'd rather not wait for the cop car to arrive...I'd rather just do it myself if threatened. The problem though...is that the debate will then shift and they will start saying you are a racist if you defend your home. Tough times ahead...a major civil conflict on the horizon. They will go from "Defund the police" to "stop protecting your family, YOU RACIST!" The mobs will cheer, you will be named and shamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City