Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support it?
Yes 58 35.58%
No 87 53.37%
Don`t care 18 11.04%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 01:10 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well black momma jesus up there is preaching how it's ok for black rioters to burn and sack black businesses because black people don't actually own anything

She's a real genius that one
Can you post a link?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-12-2020, 03:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
I do not support these eegits. They are protesting over nothing. We have a justice system that will take care of whatever happened.

These eegits just want attention, a sense of belonging.

There is not systemic racism against people of color. The statistics prove this.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:23 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well black momma jesus up there is preaching how it's ok for black rioters to burn and sack black businesses because black people don't actually own anything

She's a real genius that one
I believe her comment was more towards the Target incident.

Old 06-12-2020, 11:37 PM

20 posts, read 20,428 times
Absolutely correct to the point. They are more racist then “ privileged “ hard working people

Old 06-13-2020, 08:39 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Well if you want to talk about Chicago specifically, Chicago is big on gang culture, and has been so for decades. Combine that with how CHA operates and I understand why Chicago is the way it is. Are you familiar with Alex Kotzlowitz's "There Are No Children Here?"

But you're talking Chicago, not NYC. If you stick to NYC, I will be happy to continue this dialogue.
No never heard of Kotzlowitz but I will google him. So I was curious about the gang culture in New York and I found that there are several gangs that are also in Chicago. Bloods, Latin Kings, and Crips. AM New York is reporting "Murder rate rises as gang violence increases city-wide:NYPD" I'm sure if we looked we would find gangs in just about every major city. I picked Oklahoma City at random and found that there are around 5,000-6,000 gang bangers there. Chicago seems to be the capital of gang land at 150,000. It doesn't matter where you go in America, that culture exists.

I have to agree with you about the CHA. The housing projects were dangerous. I was in Robert Taylor back in the early 80's, and I don't mind telling you that I was scared to death. It was dark and voices seem to come out of nowhere. One said "get your white arses out of here." We were with a friend of my ex's whose mother lived there and we were helping him deliver a couch he bought for her. It was an experience I'll never forget. It's since been torn down and people shuffled into section 8 housing in the suburbs.

Food for thought. Floyd was from Texas and was up to his old tricks in Minneapolis where he was killed. It would be interesting to know if he was part of that gang culture once upon a time. He grew up in Houston and there is a gang problem there.

It doesn't matter where you move if you take that culture and mentality with you. That's the problem, and that's where the change needs to start. Cops? They're doing the best they can, and more training is needed. The vetting process is very stringent to become a cop, but once in awhile one bad apple slips through the cracks, or the pressures of the job turns some good cops bad. My husbands department was very strict. You better be a boy scout and do it by the book or you were gone. They will also take your pension away. That was enough incentive for my husband to keep his nose clean. Does that mean some on his department weren't fired? No. I can remember 3. People are going to make mistakes. Some devastating like Chauvin, and some deliberate like Floyd. Those two were a perfect storm.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
No!!! 14 days of mass gatherings during a pandemic when I stayed locked in my house for 3 months to 'flatten the curve." No. If anyone wanted to have a protest, they could get a permit, and do it according to the rules the rest of us have been following like a bunch of patsys. 6 feet apart etc.

Emperor Cuomo was on yesterday WARNING us not to disobey the rules when we open our businesses. Watch out, he says. He will go after you. I'll bet he will go after some bar owner with the full force of government. While he let protests and riots go on. That is exactly his MO--go after the rule followers but let the lawless run free.
Democrats love to incite violence for their brand of politics. Cuomo knows that if he doesn't play to the protestors wishes they will lose support this election.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:44 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,147,374 times
As of 6/13 I don't know what the protests are for anymore. First the protests called for the cops involved to be arrested and they were. Then it was about police reform and Cuomo just signed it into law.
Defund the police? Yup city is cutting their budget by 1 billion.

So what are the protests for now? Do you think you are going to change people's hearts by blocking their access to go to work or home ?

If anything I think that would hurt your cause.

Last edited by NSHL10; 06-13-2020 at 03:51 PM..

Old 06-13-2020, 02:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
As of 6/13 I don't know what the protests are for anymore. First the protests called for the cops involved to be arrested and they were. Then it was about police reform and Cuomo just signed it into law.

So what are the protests for now? Do you think you are going to change people's hearts by blocking their access to go to work or home ?

If anything I think that would hurt your cause.
I believe the continued protest will backfire in their face. Maybe they will all get COVID 19

Old 06-13-2020, 04:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I believe the continued protest will backfire in their face. Maybe they will all get COVID 19
I doubt they will get Covid, but they are pushing Trump over the finish line in November.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:29 PM

20 posts, read 20,428 times
[quote=djohnslaw;58346735]agree with pretty much all of this.
black lives matter- as long as they're ended by white cops.[/QUOTE.

Absolutely correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City