Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 04:13 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times

Advertisements

My son loves NYC and wants to visit sometime in the future - either 2022 or 2023 with family.

We are all fully vaccinated/boosted, including my son, but one family member he wants to join cannot get a COVID19 vaccine for medical reasons.

I understand NYC has the strictest vaccine rules in the USA.

That family member has no issues wearing a proper mask at all times and understands not dining indoors or going to theaters or taking off mask indoors in public.

However I'm reading NYC won't let anyone in museums and/or even observation towers without a vaccine??? That seems a bit extreme, and would totally kill the visit since that person is very important to my son.

Is there any chance NYC might relax the strict requirement at least for museums/tourist attractions in the future as the pandemic subsides, especially for those that cannot get the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons and are more than willing to mask and/or test?

FWIW, that particular unvaccinated family member got Omicron COVID over the Christmas holidays and has since fully recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 04:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
My son loves NYC and wants to visit sometime in the future - either 2022 or 2023 with family.

We are all fully vaccinated/boosted, including my son, but one family member he wants to join cannot get a COVID19 vaccine for medical reasons.

That family member has no issues wearing a proper mask at all times and understands not dining indoors or going to theaters or taking off mask indoors in public.

However I'm reading NYC won't let anyone in museums and/or even observation towers without a vaccine??? That seems a bit extreme, and would totally kill the visit since that person is very important to my son.

Is there any chance NYC might relax the strict requirement at least for museums/tourist attractions in the future as the pandemic subsides, especially for those that cannot get the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons and are more than willing to mask and/or test?

FWIW, that particular unvaccinated family member got Omicron COVID over the Christmas holidays and has since fully recovered.
They have effectively eliminated your tourist dollars. I have a kid who just had covid and now can't get vaccinated for some time, but this is a one size fits all approach, and ********* if you haven't done as you were told.

Between that and the new Manhattan DA's EVEN SOFTER approach on crime, the city is going to see tourist dollars plummet on top of the already seriously at risk commercial real estate tax base.

It seems the woke hipsters I used to hang around with are getting their way. The city is going to become EVEN WORSE than it was in the 70's and 80's..they wanted their "grit" and low rents back...they are coming. I hope they have medical insurance for when they are getting jacked on the street once a week. Stupid people.

Old 01-04-2022, 04:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times
Eh they are kicking families out of restaurants that don’t have proof. But covid positive nurses can work and treat the person god forbid they end up in the hospital. Most in New York City would say your family friend is selfish. Why support this economy that doesn’t want them. No one here politician wise cares about a medical/religious exemption. (Not saying I agree with that). You can commit crime in New York City and bring home the goods though).

Old 01-04-2022, 04:35 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Sure there is always a chance the vaccine requirement might be relaxed especially with a new mayor who took office four days ago. More of a chance than with the prior mayor but I doubt anything would change for a few months at best if covid rates go down.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Eh they are kicking families out of restaurants that don’t have proof. But covid positive nurses can work and treat the person god forbid they end up in the hospital. Most in New York City would say your family friend is selfish. Why support this economy that doesn’t want them. No one here politician wise cares about a medical/religious exemption. (Not saying I agree with that). You can commit crime in New York City and bring home the goods though).
Sorry? That family member is my son's grandmother. She has some autoimmune disorder and her doctor has very strictly told her not to get it - she is not against the vaccine. We are OK not dining inside (getting takeout or visiting at a time when you can ear outside), but it seems really mean to not let her visit a museum and/or observation deck if she is more than willing to mask and/or test. Plus she recently recovered from Omicron COVID19, so she has some immunity.

My son loves everything NYC. Thats all he talks about is planning to visit. His grandmother is his favorite person and he wants to share that with her.

Do we think the new mayor will make things better?

Old 01-04-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Sure there is always a chance the vaccine requirement might be relaxed especially with a new mayor who took office four days ago. More of a chance than with the prior mayor but I doubt anything would change for a few months at best if covid rates go down.
My son is school age, so earliest we'd visit is sometime in the summer or Fall before it gets cold.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:06 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,945,690 times
You can either wait for laws to change in your own favor and die waiting or you can change them yourself with a bit of ingenuity.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:31 PM

1,064 posts, read 545,889 times
I didn't read the whole thing but I believe there might be an exemption allowed. Read "reasonable accommodations" on page 9 https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/doh/down...to-nyc-faq.pdf
and then
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/cchr/dow...t-Guidance.pdf (this one is just for employees but maybe it applies)

They probably don't like to make it easy to find but it could be there to avoid lawsuits.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:44 PM

416 posts, read 247,761 times
Quote:

impossibles

Old 01-04-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplifly View Post
impossibles
Sorry? I'm a bit confused. Is NYC just a mean place nowadays? That would crush my son. He LOVES it and has talked about visiting it everyday, watching Christmas movies that specifically take place in NYC.

I'm happily vaccinated and boosted. I can sort of get the logic of dining and places where masks have to come off, but it makes no sense for tourist attractions where you can keep a mask on at all times.

I understand that is the law during the pandemic. My specific question is will that be relaxed for tourist attractions after the pandemic clearly subsides, whether that is summer/fall 2022 or sometime in 2023?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City