Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 03:45 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,953,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Because of the massive unemployment. Everyone assumes all the jobs will come back, but when is that going to happen? When is the vaccine, 6 months from now? 12? never? Meanwhile unemployment and loan programs will run out and businesses will close that won't be able to re-hire the workers. Home owners are going to start missing mortgage payments and get behind, it's inevitable. So many people overstretched on their mortgage, it was tight to begin with and now it'll be impossible.
Massive unemployment, businesses failing, people looking to move out of NYC to suburban locations.

I don't see a V-Shaped recovery. The Fed seems to be pessimistic as well.

The Federal Reserve offered a grim outlook for the economy in 2020.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/b...gtype=Homepage

In their first economic projections this year, Fed officials indicated that they expected the unemployment rate to end 2020 at 9.3 percent and remain elevated for years, coming in at 5.5 percent in 2022, The New York Times’s Jeanna Smialek reports. Output is expected to be 6.5 percent lower at the end of this year than it was in the final quarter of 2019.

“Nearly 20 million jobs have been lost on net since February,” the Fed chair, Jerome H. Powell, said at a news conference following the release of the forecast, and noted that the figure probably understates the extent of unemployment. “The downturn has not fallen equally on all Americans.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 04:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Because of the massive unemployment. Everyone assumes all the jobs will come back, but when is that going to happen? When is the vaccine, 6 months from now? 12? never? Meanwhile unemployment and loan programs will run out and businesses will close that won't be able to re-hire the workers. Home owners are going to start missing mortgage payments and get behind, it's inevitable. So many people overstretched on their mortgage, it was tight to begin with and now it'll be impossible.

we're not having the huge Trump economic bounce back?

Ok what I'm trying to figure out is if that decline will that be across the board between big cities, small cities, towns

or will it be better in some places?

Old 06-10-2020, 07:41 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Kingston has issues.

Quote:
Poverty in Kingston, New York

What is the poverty rate in Kingston, New York?

The poverty rate in Kingston is 18.0%. One out of every 5.6 residents of Kingston lives in poverty.

How many people in Kingston, New York live in poverty?

4,139 of 23,054 Kingston residents reported income levels below the poverty line in the last year.

How does the poverty rate in Kingston compare to the rest of New York?

The Poverty Rate across the state of New York is 15.1%, meaning Kingston has a moderately higher than average percentage of residents below the poverty line when compared to the rest of New York.

What's the Poverty Rate in Kingston, New York By Race?

35.2% of Black residents of Kingston, New York live below the poverty line.

The Poverty Rate of black residents in Kingston, New York is dramatically higher than the national average of 25.2%. 1,330 of 3,777 black New Yorkers live below the poverty line. Approximately 16.1% of the total population of Kingston, New York are black.

12.5% of White residents of Kingston, New York live below the poverty line.

The Poverty Rate of white residents in Kingston, New York is the same as than the national average. 1,792 of 14,316 white New Yorkers live below the poverty line. Approximately 61.1% of the total population of Kingston, New York are white.

24.7% of Hispanic residents of Kingston, New York live below the poverty line.

The Poverty Rate of hispanic residents in Kingston, New York is the same as than the national average. 812 of 3,290 hispanic New Yorkers live below the poverty line. Approximately 14.0% of the total population of Kingston, New York are hispanic.
Also there is crime https://www.dailyfreeman.com/news/lo...revious%20year.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 7,542 times
Anywhere but NY, buy in NJ at least there republicans have a chance. NY is done.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:41 AM

874 posts, read 453,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post

". . .shovel snow. . ."

love it. Fun, therapeutic, good exercise.....(i do it nice & neat).....

unfortunately.........

no thanks. I'll take a blizzard over stifling humidity.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:55 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Property taxes in New York State as well as in New Jersey are through the roof. If I bought a home and wanted to remain near the city, I'd choose Pennsylvania. Plus Pennsylvania has more liberties in terms of it leaning more red.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:42 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Property taxes in New York State as well as in New Jersey are through the roof. If I bought a home and wanted to remain near the city, I'd choose Pennsylvania. Plus Pennsylvania has more liberties in terms of it leaning more red.
As someone who moved from NYC to the Poconos area of PA, if you need to commute for work back to the city... it’s quite the burden in both time and money. I’m 125 miles from my job. A good day I spend 4-6 hours driving. There is commuter bus service into Port Authority but it’s not cheap and if you’re out of Manhattan additional travel time and expense.

Commuting alone eats up much of the “savings”. Food costs are the same, gas is more expensive and you absolutely need at least one reliable and well maintained car. Most homes run on electric heat and that’s expensive. Many areas don’t offer municipal sewer/water/sanitation. Schools are generally lacking despite many areas having high school taxes. Local jobs are low paying and are mainly retail or warehouse jobs in much of the area.

Bottom line, think long and hard about a move into PA.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
As someone who moved from NYC to the Poconos area of PA, if you need to commute for work back to the city... it’s quite the burden in both time and money. I’m 125 miles from my job. A good day I spend 4-6 hours driving. There is commuter bus service into Port Authority but it’s not cheap and if you’re out of Manhattan additional travel time and expense.

Commuting alone eats up much of the “savings”. Food costs are the same, gas is more expensive and you absolutely need at least one reliable and well maintained car. Most homes run on electric heat and that’s expensive. Many areas don’t offer municipal sewer/water/sanitation. Schools are generally lacking despite many areas having high school taxes. Local jobs are low paying and are mainly retail or warehouse jobs in much of the area.

Bottom line, think long and hard about a move into PA.
Good info. Do you regret moving there now?

Old 06-13-2020, 05:32 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
As others are writing, I don't think buying anything (unless you come across a deal that is simply too good to pass up) during times of uncertainty is the wisest choice to make, especially considering that many are expecting the housing market to take a hit in some areas (no, I don't think it'll be catastrophic but I'd still wait). Moreover, I wouldn't buy anything right now for the purpose of renting it out (either in part or in full) when the first covid wave isn't over and when we may get hit by a second wave . . . this means extended periods of when you won't be able to evict someone who has potentially lost their job due to stores/shops/etc. being shut down.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As others are writing, I don't think buying anything (unless you come across a deal that is simply too good to pass up) during times of uncertainty is the wisest choice to make, especially considering that many are expecting the housing market to take a hit in some areas (no, I don't think it'll be catastrophic but I'd still wait). Moreover, I wouldn't buy anything right now for the purpose of renting it out (either in part or in full) when the first covid wave isn't over and when we may get hit by a second wave . . . this means extended periods of when you won't be able to evict someone who has potentially lost their job due to stores/shops/etc. being shut down.
good point, that eviction thing I know there are laws now saying you can't evict
but I didn't remember that in relation to this scenario, buying two units and renting one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City