Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:32 AM

88 posts, read 84,831 times
well the most populated areas of the state would still be blue
however this is not a democracy anyway... if it turned red, i have a feeling the economy would slow down quite a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,740,996 times
The rural is conservative but the elite rich are also 50/50 conservative. You look at all the rich folks they all supported Republicans at one point such as Bloomberg who was a Republican and then Democrat. He's a businessman he picks the sides that's most convenient to him.

I could never see myself as a democrat or republican ever again. Which is why Trump will win again because he can balance the force between the GOP and Democrats. While the liberals hate him it fuels the GOP's support of him even stronger. Even though he was not their best choice, they rather go with Trump than have Biden who is just a race panderer.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:54 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,104,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’ve been to 42 of the 50 states. Many of them driven from end to end multiple times. New York is the most beautiful one in my opinion. California would probably beat us but I don’t have as much CA experience. Close runner up is West Virginia but there’s no beaches. Why do NY and CA have to be so damned leftist? I’m freaking moving to NJ to get some relief but still be close to upstate NY. If I could never enter the city limits again after the end of the next school year, I’d be a very happy man.
NJ isn't much different from NY when it comes to taxes and restrictions. I'm surprised you're not headed to Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful state too, with lower taxes and more freedom. You could actually be happy there.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:08 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,322,716 times
Foamposite and Tioga are pretty much in point. It would be purple, give or take and people are pretty “live and let live”. Politically, people aren’t too far either way in terms of being too “liberal” or “conservative”.

Another thing people miss in this conversation is that politically people can lean one way, but lean another way socially. So, for instance, NY is the state with the highest black percentage outside of the South and is 3rd in total black population(was 1st from about the late 1960’s until a few years ago and is still very close to 1st now). If people know anything black people can be quite “conservative” socially in terms of say church attendance and in turn, social aspects that come with that. So, when using these terms, you have to consider aspects outside of politics.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:59 AM

19,070 posts, read 13,999,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
NJ isn't much different from NY when it comes to taxes and restrictions. I'm surprised you're not headed to Pennsylvania. It's a beautiful state too, with lower taxes and more freedom. You could actually be happy there.
Cannot move far because of my children. Closest in PA is over an hour and not the greatest areas. I can be much closer in NJ and get beaches. I know it’s not much better, but I’ll have a beautiful house for less than my townhome here and a yard finally.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-18-2020, 03:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,104,331 times
Quote:
Cannot move far because of my children. Closest in PA is over an hour and not the greatest areas. I can be much closer in NJ and get beaches. I know it’s not much better, but I’ll have a beautiful house for less than my townhome here and a yard finally.
I hear you. It's all about the family. I don't have any left here. My brother moved to the Philly suburbs, sister on Long Beach Island in Nj, grown daughter in Philly. They all want me to move down there but I'm torn. I like NY. I want to see how things shake out here before I decide whether to stay or go. They say visiting isn't enough. I'll probably end up leaving eventually but I'll drag my feet as long as I can.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:03 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,489,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I hear you. It's all about the family. I don't have any left here. My brother moved to the Philly suburbs, sister on Long Beach Island in Nj, grown daughter in Philly. They all want me to move down there but I'm torn. I like NY. I want to see how things shake out here before I decide whether to stay or go. They say visiting isn't enough. I'll probably end up leaving eventually but I'll drag my feet as long as I can.

Philly actually got really nice during the Mayor Nutter years. It turned into a mini NYC. Lots good food places now especially hoagie places and I think the subway runs late on friday and Saturday.

Don't know what the situation will be after the riots. I hope it doesn't go backwards like baltimore.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:54 AM

103 posts, read 92,495 times
Quote:
This is really anecdotal, but my family lives in NJ and I wonder if the state is slowly turning red, or at least heading that way. There are a lot of vocal Trump supporters in both high-income and lower-income neighborhoods.

Old 06-19-2020, 04:16 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,611,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocardigan View Post
This is really anecdotal, but my family lives in NJ and I wonder if the state is slowly turning red, or at least heading that way. There are a lot of vocal Trump supporters in both high-income and lower-income neighborhoods.
Hell no, NJ is just as liberal as New York.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:13 AM

3,523 posts, read 9,438,128 times
My questions are...would New York State be a battle ground "purple" state without NYC? And do swing states receive more federal government attention and investment due to politicians campaigning for votes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City