Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 09:52 AM

33,992 posts, read 47,230,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One thing I'm curious about is how come of all these sort of large scale brick tower developments, it seems like it's only Parkchester that really integrated commercial / retail into more than just the borders of the larger development?
It's not really common practice with apartment complexes in NYC. There are a few examples across the city that exist but not many. I wonder why myself.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 10:00 AM

37,115 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's not really common practice with apartment complexes in NYC. There are a few examples across the city that exist but not many. I wonder why myself.
Yea, it's weird. Of the big developments of the period with these big towers and park-like setting, I've seen Parkchester, Peter Cooper, Stuyvesant Town, and Rochdale Village here and Park La Brea in Los Angeles. None of those integrate non-residential uses as Parkchester does.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:55 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times
For $800 I’d live there

Old 10-23-2020, 04:24 PM

870 posts, read 412,887 times
Quote:

Anyhow, anyone go up there for Bengali food recently?
Yes, I mentioned Spice Up recently, really good ! Also, not Bengali, but Parkchester has the only Chinese supermarket in the Bronx (Chang Li), which is a good feature.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:55 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,056 times
Quote:
I love Parkchester! I hope this country turns to infrastructure as a route to economic stimulus and the Penn Station Access plan with its Parkchester stop gets going! I think there’s also some version of the Triboro RX or X proposal that would also serve such a station.

Also, capping the Cross Bronx Expressway with parkspace would be great for Parkchester and other neighborhoods along it. For the segment going through Parkchester, I think capping it from Rosedale Avenue in the west to the pedestrian crossing just east of Castle Hill Avenue sounds about right.

Anyhow, anyone go up there for Bengali food recently?
There is a Bengali Chinese restaurant that is outstanding. I was really impressed with the Tikka Chicken. Khalil Biryani House

There is some caterer that took up a stand outside on the corner of Olmstead and "Bangla Bizarre" aka Starling Avenue on Tuesday's-Friday's. He has this thing that I'm gonna call a popper. It's a fried dough shell that is thin and open faced. It is stuffed with cabbage, other veggies and spices. It's topped with some sort of vinaigrette. Biting into it is like a cornucopia of flavor. You taste one thing at first, then in the middle of the taste there is something else. Finally, the after taste is yet another taste. It was so delicious.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:59 AM

106,553 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
" Not a member ".... usually means they got booted. I missed the controversy but it was a long time in coming.
She annoyed everybody and had a lot of nasty things to say.
I guess there's a chance she checked out on her own but I doubt it.

oops... maybe she still is a member. My bad. A month or so I could swear she came up as "Not a member". Now it says "retired" .
she is still here and posting right up until the last day or so

Old 10-24-2020, 07:54 AM

8,324 posts, read 4,370,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
she is still here and posting right up until the last day or so

Oh yeah, this forum is as bad-habit-forming as junk food, hard not to click on it & scribble a post while doing something else online :-). I did get a handful of truly revealing insights from here, but 90% of it is a colossal waste of time, so I'll continue to try to wean off of it :-).

Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Oh yeah, this forum is as bad-habit-forming as junk food, hard not to click on it & scribble a post while doing something else online :-). I did get a handful of truly revealing insights from here, but 90% of it is a colossal waste of time, so I'll continue to try to wean off of it :-).
Yes, fewer and fewer threads about Parkchester tends to do that to some people...

Old 10-25-2020, 09:46 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, fewer and fewer threads about Parkchester tends to do that to some people...
Lmaooooo

Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times
$1600 for 1 bedroom
$1950 for 2 bedrooms
Hell No!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City