Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:40 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
I think a one month extension is the best possibility, I could move out of the city, but I have a good job here, just not for a few more months..
Rents must be coming down, vacancies are up more than ever, I think I could get a similar deal in Astoria, or pay a little more for Hells Kitchen or Upper West Side.
I have a cousing in Fort Lauderdale, but as someone who's been here 25 years, it's not easy to just pick up and go, and i have a partner... I'm just stressed as hell and looking for opinions, thanks on all the opinions given so far, very useful
If you can get that extension then it would probably be the most convenient option right now. Definitely don't lock yourself in and pay a higher rent for a neighborhood you hate. The only card landlords can play right now is if current tenants don't want to go to the trouble of moving. Everyone knows there will be higher vacancy in the next 6 months (at least) then we've seen in years.

Move to Astoria or somewhere else in the city for a better deal if you can. I think that fears about restaurant and nightlife taking years to rebound might be overstated--at least in establishments that cater to younger people. All of the restaurants that I saw on my walks that opened in defiance of the guidelines were full and in some cases there were throngs of people outdoors in front.

I'm not saying that is responsible behavior, only an anecdotal indicator that pent up demand is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 10:42 AM

103 posts, read 92,309 times
Quote:
They already can't rent other apartments here, they are offering a free month to new tenants, and at a lower rent than we pay, the apartment is unrenovated and we've had problems with both rodent and cockroaches, which are finally over. They will not be able to rent this place easily at all.. or the 15 other vacant apartments here. If i stay, I want a reduction, not the same rent.. I'm losing the extra $600 in July, and when i get back to work, it won't be what it was, so if i'm rent poor, I'd rather be somewhere I like better...
Either way, these guys won't rent this place for this price for a long time
Sounds like you're miserable there. Don't stay, even if they offer a reduced rent. You'll regret it.

If you think you can find a similar price in Astoria, I say go there. I wouldn't go for another neighborhood that's more expensive with your financial situation being so tentative.

I'd also negotiate for an extra month without a lease if that will help you save money to move. Sounds like they don't exactly have the high ground in this situation, with 15 already vacant apartments. Not sure if this is possible, but do you have a family member who would be comfortable giving you a short term loan for moving? Maybe something to consider if moving is going to be an issue.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,199 times
Maybe look for a sublet if your landlord won't give an extension? I bet there's a decent amount available now that many people have left town for the time being.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:03 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
I think a one month extension is the best possibility, I could move out of the city, but I have a good job here, just not for a few more months..
Rents must be coming down, vacancies are up more than ever, I think I could get a similar deal in Astoria, or pay a little more for Hells Kitchen or Upper West Side.
I have a cousing in Fort Lauderdale, but as someone who's been here 25 years, it's not easy to just pick up and go, and i have a partner... I'm just stressed as hell and looking for opinions, thanks on all the opinions given so far, very useful
You should try Washington Heights (WEST of Broadway. Not on Broadway but West of Broadway) Ft Washington, Pinehurst,etc. I can vouch for 175 to 186 street West of Broadway. It is very calm and quiet.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:08 AM

874 posts, read 454,252 times
Quote:

"I moved back to Inwood, near Dyckman a few years ago, I knew it was stupid, but I didn't
have much time, now this area is out of control again, with partying all the time during lockdown,
rude and loud people all over, and 'restaurants' that think they own the neighborhood.

[...]

I really really hate living here...

[...]

I apologize if I'm venting, but I'd just like to see what solution any of you have for this?
no matter who: Christian, Jew Muslim, Budda, atheist:

Trust in God. Be in prayer all day about it... it'll turn out the way 'it's supposed to be.'

Old 06-18-2020, 11:25 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
No one can force you to sign the lease. Also if you don't sign the lease and keep paying, IMO, it's highly unlikely anything would happen to you (like eviction proceedings) for at least a couple of months.

This is not legal advice of course

Old 06-18-2020, 11:36 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You should try Washington Heights (WEST of Broadway. Not on Broadway but West of Broadway) Ft Washington, Pinehurst,etc. I can vouch for 175 to 186 street West of Broadway. It is very calm and quiet.
+1 this. I lived in three different places in Washington Heights, two east of Broadway, and one west. East of Broadway seemed to vary block by block for how loud it was, but west of Broadway was almost uniformly quieter especially from Ft Washington on west.

Which reminds me, did those shops that were part of the bus terminal up there ever open? I left when they were supposedly sprucing it up and trying to turn it into a small shopping complex of sorts.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:46 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Ask to do a month-to-month lease. Many landlords will do this especially now. It's always better to keep a good tenant than look for a new one. It's like a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:15 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
+1 this. I lived in three different places in Washington Heights, two east of Broadway, and one west. East of Broadway seemed to vary block by block for how loud it was, but west of Broadway was almost uniformly quieter especially from Ft Washington on west.

Which reminds me, did those shops that were part of the bus terminal up there ever open? I left when they were supposedly sprucing it up and trying to turn it into a small shopping complex of sorts.
I remember living in Audubon (186 to 187) and i cancelled the lease after 1 year.

Oh yeah, The GWB Mercado is open.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...e-store-guide/

Old 06-18-2020, 12:28 PM

88 posts, read 84,694 times
Washington Heights is not gonna happen, I hate uptown, the lack of culture, or monoculture of one ethnicity, the lack of restaurants, or basically anything... the only thing i like about uptown is the parks.
I'm gonna ask them about a month to month lease tonight, this seems reasonable, and gives me time to find something.
My industry could go either way, I work at a high end steakhouse, where very wealthy people go... I'm not sure if these people will stay or leave, everything is so uncertain, I have been fine since March, but I think the lockdown and the future, not to mention the unrest and political strife are all making me lose it
My block is home to a strip of 'restaurants' all of which are money laundering schemes for drug money, the crowd is horrible every summer, however this summer, they've blocked the street, so everyone is just able to hang out.. it draws a really bad crowd, these people don't live here... my building is full of cool, nice and respectful people, but these restaurants and this scene are not going anywhere, they aren't even trying to make money.
If my job goes back to being ok, and I'm making similar money to before, I'd rather find a place in the UWS or Hells Kitchen for a couple hundred more...
Once again, thanks for all the kind words, I'm in nervous breakdown mode today, and you all have helped a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City