Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 01:24 PM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
Washington Heights is not gonna happen, I hate uptown, the lack of culture, or monoculture of one ethnicity, the lack of restaurants, or basically anything... the only thing i like about uptown is the parks.
I'm gonna ask them about a month to month lease tonight, this seems reasonable, and gives me time to find something.
My industry could go either way, I work at a high end steakhouse, where very wealthy people go... I'm not sure if these people will stay or leave, everything is so uncertain, I have been fine since March, but I think the lockdown and the future, not to mention the unrest and political strife are all making me lose it
My block is home to a strip of 'restaurants' all of which are money laundering schemes for drug money, the crowd is horrible every summer, however this summer, they've blocked the street, so everyone is just able to hang out.. it draws a really bad crowd, these people don't live here... my building is full of cool, nice and respectful people, but these restaurants and this scene are not going anywhere, they aren't even trying to make money.
If my job goes back to being ok, and I'm making similar money to before, I'd rather find a place in the UWS or Hells Kitchen for a couple hundred more...
Once again, thanks for all the kind words, I'm in nervous breakdown mode today, and you all have helped a lot.
I see where you’re coming from. However, since you have time on your hand, I think taking a walk west on 181st from Broadway to Cabrini and then go north on Cabrini and then east on 187th street before heading south on Ft. Washington—maybe hang out in Bennett Park a bit. There are different businesses there that vary more from the rest of the neighborhood. That area feels really different from east of Broadway and it’s close enough for you to make a stroll of it. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 02:10 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I see where you’re coming from. However, since you have time on your hand, I think taking a walk west on 181st from Broadway to Cabrini and then go north on Cabrini and then east on 187th street before heading south on Ft. Washington—maybe hang out in Bennett Park a bit. There are different businesses there that vary more from the rest of the neighborhood. That area feels really different from east of Broadway and it’s close enough for you to make a stroll of it. Best of luck!
If it were me, I'd walk up the hill to Fort Tryon Park to Fort Washington and south, but he's probably seen all that living where he does. I've always loved Fort Washington area but it's maybe even too quiet for me. I like Inwood farther north and west of Broadway. I used to live on Seaman Avenue and loved it there. Plus I got some interesting reactions telling people the address (because of the homonym lol).

Old 06-18-2020, 02:19 PM

37,118 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
If it were me, I'd walk up the hill to Fort Tryon Park to Fort Washington and south, but he's probably seen all that living where he does. I've always loved Fort Washington area but it's maybe even too quiet for me. I like Inwood farther north and west of Broadway. I used to live on Seaman Avenue and loved it there. Plus I got some interesting reactions telling people the address (because of the homonym lol).
Ha! To live on the corner of Seaman and Cumming is a real treat

Old 06-18-2020, 02:27 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
Washington Heights is not gonna happen, I hate uptown, the lack of culture, or monoculture of one ethnicity, the lack of restaurants, or basically anything... the only thing i like about uptown is the parks.
I'm gonna ask them about a month to month lease tonight, this seems reasonable, and gives me time to find something.
My industry could go either way, I work at a high end steakhouse, where very wealthy people go... I'm not sure if these people will stay or leave, everything is so uncertain, I have been fine since March, but I think the lockdown and the future, not to mention the unrest and political strife are all making me lose it
My block is home to a strip of 'restaurants' all of which are money laundering schemes for drug money, the crowd is horrible every summer, however this summer, they've blocked the street, so everyone is just able to hang out.. it draws a really bad crowd, these people don't live here... my building is full of cool, nice and respectful people, but these restaurants and this scene are not going anywhere, they aren't even trying to make money.
If my job goes back to being ok, and I'm making similar money to before, I'd rather find a place in the UWS or Hells Kitchen for a couple hundred more...
Once again, thanks for all the kind words, I'm in nervous breakdown mode today, and you all have helped a lot.
You said you moved back to Inwood. Did you live there before this? "I moved back to Inwood, near Dyckman a few years ago"

Old 06-18-2020, 02:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,628,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ha! To live on the corner of Seaman and Cumming is a real treat
Wow I didn't even realize that was a real intersection! Hilarious

Old 06-18-2020, 03:02 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Your profession is holding you back.

It's going to be hard to convince a new landlord you can pay rent as a bartender and there's no vaccine.

This is why I told people back in 2014 to fight tooth and nail for a technical/digital career. Many didn't listen, and now many people have been caught with their pants down balls hanging in the breeze.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:24 AM

92 posts, read 117,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Your profession is holding you back.

It's going to be hard to convince a new landlord you can pay rent as a bartender and there's no vaccine.

This is why I told people back in 2014 to fight tooth and nail for a technical/digital career. Many didn't listen, and now many people have been caught with their pants down balls hanging in the breeze.

Professions don't hold people back

lack of savings and lack of future planning for the worst comes to worst scenario holds them back.

If OP had a peachy 20 to 30k in the bank right now, he could have just dipped the F" out of NYC and go somewhere in Upstate, Philly or wherever and use the time to think, brainstorm and just explore other venues of income revenue while he starts anew and still maintain relative low cost of living.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:34 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
you sound absolutely miserable.
definitely move. it you want an extra month or two in the same place that's fine but i'd even try to get a reduction for that time.
you also may be able to move to a different neighborhood for a lot cheaper than rents have been going for.

is there any work you could get besides a bartender? i can't see you making the money you were used to making bartending in nyc any time soon.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 AM

6,680 posts, read 6,020,926 times
I’m only throwing this out there - but you can try asking your landlord if they’re willing to pay you to move? Sounds crazy, but when I lived in inwood, my landlord kept offered me thousands to move out. Once I found a place, I called to accept the offer.
Not sure if this makes a difference, but I lived around cooper/Seaman and was only paying 1340 for a one and a half bedroom (in a building with no restaurants or noise) just the occasional noisy neighbor.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I’m only throwing this out there - but you can try asking your landlord if they’re willing to pay you to move? Sounds crazy, but when I lived in inwood, my landlord kept offered me thousands to move out. Once I found a place, I called to accept the offer.
Not sure if this makes a difference, but I lived around cooper/Seaman and was only paying 1340 for a one and a half bedroom (in a building with no restaurants or noise) just the occasional noisy neighbor.
he already said rents in his building are dropping big time
landlords don't pay people to move in a market like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City