Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:41 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times

Advertisements

Don't worry it'll get better when we defund the police

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...way-up-n543763
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:31 AM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Excerpt:
Over the month *until June 7 — including the crucial Memorial Day weekend — New York’s murder rate more than doubled, to 42 murders, from 18 the year before — a jolt of 133 percent. Shooting victims, including wounded, are up 45 percent. Stabbings are up, too.

To be clear: Going back to the early ’90s, New York has never seen a sustained increase of this magnitude. Nothing close: The nearest spike in the early summer month was a short-lived 63 percent hike in 2006, just half *today’s increase. And that *increase did portend an 11 percent murder hike for all of 2006, the second-highest in three decades.

This isn’t an aberration coming off a good spring. For the year, murder is up 25 percent. If these rates hold, New York would end 2020 with an increase in murders twice as high as we’ve seen since 1990.

Response: I have supported all of Mayor Giuliani's policies from the get go. I have lived during what I consider to be
the greatest time in New York City under his leadership up until and including 911. He knew how to keep the city under control.
All I can say to all my deBlasio Loving/ Giuliani Haters.....I hope you and your neighborhoods are happy with your results....
Cherish the moment and bathe in all its' Crimson Glory.....

Old 06-18-2020, 09:38 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
ahhhh Manhattan under deblasio... The sweet smell of weed wafting around outdoor lunch break spots near construction sites. What's that? Sniff sniff, that's not dog pee, that's human urine I smell everywhere. Homeless sleeping around everywhere. Nice to have those 1991 moments now in the present. Really takes me back. But for the most part would rather have 1999 back in all its clean streets glory.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
That's good, I hope it keeps going up and thin the herd better than jails. America is the only society that's not evolving since we allow the criminals to keep breeding and not killing them off like they do in other countries. So, it maybe a good thing to let them do us a favor as long as they keep it within those areas.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:41 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Just the beginning, the grit nostalgics will be in heaven

Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Excerpt:
Over the month *until June 7 — including the crucial Memorial Day weekend — New York’s murder rate more than doubled, to 42 murders, from 18 the year before — a jolt of 133 percent. Shooting victims, including wounded, are up 45 percent. Stabbings are up, too.

To be clear: Going back to the early ’90s, New York has never seen a sustained increase of this magnitude. Nothing close: The nearest spike in the early summer month was a short-lived 63 percent hike in 2006, just half *today’s increase. And that *increase did portend an 11 percent murder hike for all of 2006, the second-highest in three decades.

This isn’t an aberration coming off a good spring. For the year, murder is up 25 percent. If these rates hold, New York would end 2020 with an increase in murders twice as high as we’ve seen since 1990.

Response: I have supported all of Mayor Giuliani's policies from the get go. I have lived during what I consider to be
the greatest time in New York City under his leadership up until and including 911. He knew how to keep the city under control.
All I can say to all my deBlasio Loving/ Giuliani Haters.....I hope you and your neighborhoods are happy with your results....
Cherish the moment and bathe in all its' Crimson Glory.....

Hopefully the situation has reached the point where it may motivate more New Yorkers who possess a functioning brain (which they normally employ for more intelligent pursuits than closely following politics) to vote. That is the only chance the city has.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Hopefully the situation has reached the point where it may motivate more New Yorkers who possess a functioning brain (which they normally employ for more intelligent pursuits than closely following politics) to vote. That is the only chance the city has.
Oh, I certainly hope so, too! I think registration dives to get young people to vote have been doing really well recently, and I hope that continues. That combined with allowing for voting by mail are at a couple of silver linings to all this.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:50 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I certainly hope so, too! I think registration dives to get young people to vote have been doing really well recently, and I hope that continues. That combined with allowing for voting by mail are at a couple of silver linings to all this.

I said "people with a functioning brain". They generally do not need a registration drive, they know how to register if they want.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I like how many liberals I meet in public says all these problems are because of the failures of the government then proceeds to vote for the same people again and again.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:03 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I said "people with a functioning brain". They generally do not need a registration drive, they know how to register if they want.
Meh, you need to register to vote and registration dives help in getting people’s brains to function in helping them understanding that voting does have an actual impact. Protests do work to some extent, but it’d be a mess if we relegated a ton of legislation and policy on protest alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I like how many liberals I meet in public says all these problems are because of the failures of the government then proceeds to vote for the same people again and again.
Which is why it’s important to vote in the primaries. For various reasons, third parties simply don’t work so well in the political system we currently have. I’d love for ranked choice voting and multiple other political reforms, but that doesn’t happen without getting in a baseline number of people who support such and so you do have to work within the system to some extent. I try to be a pragmatic voter as the Democratic machine where I live is pretty powerful and the GOP candidates are sometimes lackluster especially on the local level. That’s why I registered as a Democrat even though I veer pretty far away from a lot of the Democrats from here in various policies—their primaries are pretty impactful and so it’s unfortunately within that where I might actually come across a candidate more closely aligned with my political beliefs.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-18-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City