Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 08:25 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
People probably should move out of NYC if they don't actually use the city.

If you are not going to museums, attending concerts at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall, seeing musicals and legitimate theatre, visiting neighborhoods for local cultural events, and the life, why stay in NYC?
First, congrats to OP!

Second, Lillie, I keep looking at my MET Museum membership card. Will I use it before it expires? I am guessing no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:37 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,733,403 times
Everybody should live in a place that makes them happy, but in that case you should probably let go of the forum of the old place!

Old 06-18-2020, 09:27 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
I used to love visiting The City, and hiking all over Manhattan among taking the subways.

Last visit we stayed over by Prospect Park and Vanderbilt Ave., and we thoroughly enjoyed the different vibe.

But we did have to fly thru LaGuardia Airport last Summer. Even though the place is under construction, we found that whole part of town dismal. And NYC is an embarrassment vs. the European cities we had just visited.

I told my wife I really don't care to return--or to any of the big northern cities--on vacation.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:27 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I hope you'll be very happy, but I'd question how much that new place actually interests you since you post here all the time.
Exactly! If I left a place I hated, I wouldn't waste the energy.

Old 06-19-2020, 05:37 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
People probably should move out of NYC if they don't actually use the city.

If you are not going to museums, attending concerts at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall, seeing musicals and legitimate theatre, visiting neighborhoods for local cultural events, and the life, why stay in NYC?
The jobs and family/friends you do not wish to live far from, my reason for staying.

But I have come to the same point of Werd after 35+ years in Manhattan/Queens....we have had disagreements here in the past but this issue here is something I can empathize with him on

Last edited by nyccs; 06-19-2020 at 06:46 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 06:38 AM

910 posts, read 753,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
About 6-8 months ago I made it a point to get the hell outta dodge for me and my family. I have little ones who I don't want growing up here like I did. I want birds chirping, good public schools and an easy way to protect my family. I finally got it.

Unfortunately I will still be in the State of NY, but far enough from NYC to actually smell fresh grass being cut and Zero noise outside of my window. The smell of BBQ's will fill the air and the gun safe in my closet will be full. My new neighborhood if full of working families who will actually look out for each other and will not be lighting fireworks until 2am everynight.

Anyway, some people said "If you hate NYC so much why don't you just leave?" .... OK!

I don't think i've ever been so happy to move.

Of course, I will still be "causing trouble" here so no worries there lol
I totally understand and support you. I did the same thing a week ago. Result? No place on earth is paradise, but there sure as hell are better places than others depending on your perspective. I was tired of having to listen to upstairs neighbors stomping all the time, babies downstairs crying and people arguing in tiny cramped apartments, dirt everywhere, smell of urine all Summer even in nice areas, rising crime (subways were getting scary and expensive anyway!), overpriced food, tiny kitchen spaces, no yards/gardens for most people, and even though I know I'm going to get called all sorts of names for this, hearing any other language other than English all the time in many places was tiresome. It's nice to talk about "diversity" from your cushioned armchair, but very few people actually practice what they preach.

What else? High taxes, NYC income tax on top of all that nonsense, high sales tax.

I am far enough from NYC now and not even a train station nearby (one wouldn't want transplants or people fleeing the city to come near). I do not drive, but I actually use UBER now and spend even LESS on UBER here than I did on filthy diseased public transportation in NYC and all with the threat of a deranged homeless person or not to do something crazy or hurt people.

First things I am enjoying? Walking around and nobody breathing down my neck or rushing me. Going to a real spacious supermarket with a lot more variety than you can get in the avg mediocre NYC grocery store/bodega type shop. Nobody honks around here and people actually give you the right of way without much controversy.

Guns everywhere and farmers markets for reasonable prices.

Paradise? No way, but much better than NYC overcrowded and overpriced hellhole? YES.

I like how here the mentality is very similar to Buddy Brown's country song "I am 911".

Enjoy your life away from NYC.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:42 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
First, congrats to OP!

Second, Lillie, I keep looking at my MET Museum membership card. Will I use it before it expires? I am guessing no.
Didn't the Met say they were suspending the membership during closure? I think I remember an email about that early on.
Unfortunately, online is nothing like a visit. That cat eye video photography is the worst.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:50 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Didn't the Met say they were suspending the membership during closure? I think I remember an email about that early on.
Unfortunately, online is nothing like a visit. That cat eye video photography is the worst.
You're right. I trashed the email without opening it.

My membership card taunts me with "you have me, but you can't use me, you are stuck!"

Old 06-19-2020, 08:50 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I maintain many NYC museum memberships (including the Bronx Zoo). Even if I don't use them, I consider them donations.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:08 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I hope you'll be very happy, but I'd question how much that new place actually interests you since you post here all the time.
Where I live has nothing to do where I enjoy visiting online. As a life long NYC resident I will always have a connection to NYC, especially since I still have various Family members here. I will always have an opinion on what happens here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: